PDA

View Full Version : Biggin---cherry----more pics

Gary Max
06-18-2006, 7:01 PM
This is by far the largest and heaviest block of wood that I have ever turned.
This required two people with strong backs just to get it up on the lathe --three of us loaded it into my truck.
I had to trim some of the corners just to get the thing to swing.
This ain't something for everyone to try but I just had to give it a shot. Turning insane hunks of wood can be hard on your health.
Starting at 4;00 am this morning and working 12 solid hours it also holds my record for longest single session working on one item.
This block of Cherry gave the my Powermatic a real work out and I have the 4224 with a 24 inch swing.
If you notice the dark section in the center---that is rooten wood that I will turn out of the blank. The other side still has bark on it in one area so I will bring that side up till I can turn the bark off.
I filled two 55 gallon trash cans with curls and still have a pile to clean up.

I used a gallon milk jug to give the last two pics some scale

Christopher K. Hartley
06-18-2006, 7:06 PM
Gary you are an inspiration to many of us who aspire to bigger and better things. Thanks.:)

Gary Max
06-18-2006, 7:43 PM
Sometimes I worry about the sanity of turning some of this stuff---I just can't bring myself to turn the same thing the other guy has already done. I like the unique.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2006, 7:45 PM
Boy Gary now that is one hunk of wood. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Wow.

Terry Quiram
06-18-2006, 8:04 PM
Gary

I don't know about you but I LOVE TURNING BIG BOWLS! My Stubby will handle 30 and I am sure I would need to call in the neighbors to get one loaded." I have some big Claro Walnut burl but I am waiting until I get a coreing tool. How big is the rough out?

Terry

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-18-2006, 8:11 PM
Wow, Gary, now that's a hunka-hunka-turnin' wood! :) I can't wait to see what's hiding in there.

Gary Max
06-18-2006, 8:22 PM
Terry I cut it down to 24 inchs---I am want a gantry just for handleing this big stuff. I ain't going to turn anything outboard even though they say the lathe will swing 4 foot outboard. Turning stuff this big is really just showing off--I have a hard time selling the monsters.

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2006, 9:51 PM
Going to be cool! I bet that is downright scarey spinning on that lathe!

corey

Doug Thompson
06-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Now this is turning:eek: After the corners are knocked off the shavings really start to fly. On a large turning like this the roughing cuts have to be aggressive or it takes forever. But you need to be safe.

We need pictures of the rough bowl. After this post I'm going to mount a 60 lb blank on a 3520 and hopefully turn a top hat.

Good Job,
Doug

Doug Thompson
06-19-2006, 12:58 AM
After this post I'm going to mount a 60 lb blank on a 3520 and hopefully turn a top hat.

AND trashed it :( I'll try again another day.

Gary Max
06-19-2006, 6:04 AM
Doug I never got over 300 rpm's roughing it out. That is why I spent all day turning this. 75% of the sanding use done by hand---I really wanted to get this off the lathe before it did something that was to much fun. The fact that the tree had a rotten center added to the adventure. Notice the last pic---the block of wood because the live center did not have anything solid to hit.

Doug Thompson
06-19-2006, 9:52 PM
Gary, there's a big difference between a 16 to a 24 inch blank and it should be turned at a slower speed. I'll start a 16" chainsawn blank at 150rpm then increase the speed slowly till it's almost round at 400rpm's. After the blank is reversed and between centers it's running at 700 rpm's.

I've noticed a roughing cut about 1/4 to 5/16 deep speeds up the turning.

Nice bowl and it was worth the effort. They don't grow cherry like that around here.

Good Job,
Doug

Dick Parr
06-20-2006, 7:13 AM
WOW Gary, that is big enough to be a hub cap for a fancy Kenworth. :eek: :D Nice big turning.

Gary Max
06-20-2006, 7:27 AM
It's sitting on the couch right now---taking a break and drying off.
I can't wait to see it finished it is going to be great. It is very rare to find a block of cherry that big with this much grain around here.
Thanks for all the kind words.

Rich Stewart
06-20-2006, 7:35 AM
Great bowl! Tell me that's not what it looks like in the jug. haha I gotta get me one of them big lathes. Nice job.

Raymond Overman
06-20-2006, 7:37 AM
Nice looking bowl Gary. That should hold plenty of ice cream for the whole family.

Don Orr
06-20-2006, 9:02 AM
Wow, real nice piece of work there Gary. What a ride that must have been! Real nice job on a beautiful piece of wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 9:12 AM
Gary.........that turned out gorgeous! Beautiful! I'm in awe!

Keith Burns
06-20-2006, 9:33 AM
Great "BIG" bowl for sure:) :)