PDA

View Full Version : air assist compressor

Mohamed El Alami
06-18-2006, 6:48 PM
hello there,
We are buying a new machine from beam dynamics ( 500 watt )
and we need an air compressor for air assist cutting.

Anyone can help me find a good air compressor.

The machine requires a dry filtered air.
specification are as follow :

Inlet pressure:<o =""></o>
160 PSI / 10.88 Bar<o =""></o>
<o =""></o><o =""></o>
Assist Gas Flow:<o =""></o>>
<o =""></o>
<table class="MsoTableGrid" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> Pressure<o =""></o>>
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> Flow
CFH<o =""></o>>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 20 </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 50<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 40<o =""></o>
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 85<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 60<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 100<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 100<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 115<o =""></o> </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 150<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 135<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <o =""></o>
thank you again

Joe Pelonio
06-19-2006, 4:26 PM
I think most of us have smaller wattage machines that can get by with an air pump, like air brush compressors. Even so most of use use water filters.
For the volume and pressures you need you probably have to go with at least a 30 gallon tank, 5 hp compressor (which will be loud and use lots of electricity). There are decent ones at Sam's Club, Costco, and the Big Box Hardware stores that should work. I have one that I use for other things made by Coleman that was $399 a few years ago.

Brent Vander Weil
06-19-2006, 4:33 PM
I have been considering an air assist purchase also... I am just getting ready to move the shop into my basement and am currently using the "pancake" compressor I got with by brad nailer to provide the air assist. (Filtered and regulated of course) on my Epilog MINI 35W. Any tips on the quietest solutions?

John Minton
06-19-2006, 4:36 PM
Hello

On my metal cutting lasers 1500 & 2600 watt we must have a refrigerated dryer in line before the laser. If you get moisture on the focus lens from the air and then turn the beam on you could crack the lens. If will also allow stuff to stick to the lens which will cause the lens to absorb some of the beam and heat distort the lens. I would talk to the people who build you machine to see if you need a ref. dryer or not.

Good Luck

John

Joe Pelonio
06-19-2006, 6:21 PM
I have been considering an air assist purchase also... I am just getting ready to move the shop into my basement and am currently using the "pancake" compressor I got with by brad nailer to provide the air assist. (Filtered and regulated of course) on my Epilog MINI 35W. Any tips on the quietest solutions?
On my 45 watt Epilog I was using an older airbrush compressor but it had a lot of miles on it and died after a few months. Since then I have been using this one (18 months now) and it's a LOT quieter, about the same as the exhaust fan. It was under $100, so even if it doesn't last forever it's about 1/3 the price of a pasche or badger. I have several other actual compressors here that I can use if I need more than 40 lbs.
This was from airbrushcity.com
Check E-Bay, sometimes they'll package this compressor with an airbrush for even less
money.

Michael McDuffie
06-21-2006, 4:02 PM
Smaller compressors, under 10HP or so, are rated in CFM at a given pressure rather than CFH.

If I've done the math right, you don't need much more than 2CFM at max pressure. If so, most any home owner intended compressor with the desired pressure rating will work.

For instance,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00916732000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
this one will produce enough air for your needs.

Something to consider is any other air needs you might have. The above compressor, because it is an oil free, will be rather noisy and won’t have as long a life as an oiled compressor. A rotary screw compressor, properly maintained will last nearly for ever and is very quiet.

No compressor will by itself put out filtered dry air. If it is oil free, you need a water separator and a particulate filter. If it is an oiled unit, you will also want a coalescing filter to get the oil out.

Go to http://www.grainger.com and search for catalog page 1483 for a helpful diagram.

Michael

Mohamed El Alami
06-21-2006, 8:19 PM
I Think that i am going to have a rotary screw compressor with refrigerated dryer.
I think that this is the best solution to keep the laser lens ok. and to have a compressor that will last for years.

Thank you all for your time.

Jim A. Walters
06-22-2006, 2:29 PM
Rotary screw compressors are made to run constantly. Make sure you size your compressor correctly (smaller than you think). It is not desirable to have a rotary cycle all the time. If you use an aftercooler with a refrigerated dryer, there should be not moisture problems.

Jim

Dean Flannery
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Assist Gas Flow:<o =""></o>>
<o =""></o>
<table class="MsoTableGrid" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> Pressure<o =""></o>>
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> Flow
CFH<o =""></o>>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 20 </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 50<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 40<o =""></o>
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 85<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 60<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 100<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 100<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 115<o =""></o> </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 61.5pt;" valign="top" width="82"> 150<o =""></o> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 74.8pt;" valign="top" width="100"> 135<o =""></o>
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <o =""></o>
thank you again

In your chart is that actually "CFH" or should it be "CFM"

If it's actually CFM you will need a 25-30 horsepower compressor