PDA

View Full Version : First box in awhile;

Kenneth George
06-18-2006, 6:33 PM
Well it has been quite awhile since I posted one of my turnings publicly anywhere and much longer since the last time I made a box. At one time box making was my favorite type of turning and I guess after doing this one I have to say it pretty much still is.

Anyhow, I was sitting around with little to do while waiting for some glue to dry on a furniture project I am currently working on so I guess I must have been bugging my wife as she said “hey you have not made a box in awhile, why don’t you go turn me a box!” well ok and off I went. I had a piece of scrap Canary from my plane project so I thought I would use it. It was not all that big so it is a small box. Just a simple form but I just had to do a little finial on it! As you can see it is quite thin and hollowed to form. Nice suction fit lid and unfortunately my camera skills are not such that the deep red lines in the wood show up in the picture. There is a quarter in the picture for scale.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/06-18-06/CW618062.jpg

Well, thanks for having a look and comments are welcome; it has been awhile since I turned something decorative instead of utility so you won’t hurt my feelings.

Ken

Christopher K. Hartley
06-18-2006, 7:03 PM
Beautiful job, that is some pretty wood. You ought to be doing more of these, it is too nice for you not to.:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2006, 7:51 PM
Great job Kenneth. I like the looks of the canary wood. Love the form and finish.

Michael Stafford
06-18-2006, 8:06 PM
Looks real nice, Kenneth. I miss seeing your boxes. Hope you will be posting more often....I still haven't found a nice piece of canary wood for a box. :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-18-2006, 8:14 PM
Very nice box, Kenneth! I envy you, with your wife who sends you out to the shop---my wife generally prefers to keep me nearby. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2006, 9:41 PM
Beautiful box Ken! You've still got the knack!

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2006, 9:48 PM
Nice box Ken, looks great. I have enjoyed your website! Good resource.

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
06-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Nice box Ken. Sure would like to see more of your work.

Ernie

Tom Sherman
06-19-2006, 4:57 AM
Kenneth I have to agree with everyone I like your box. Very nice wood and design.

Mark Cothren
06-19-2006, 9:19 AM
Looks like a great box to me!!!

Rich Stewart
06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
very pretty box. Delicate little finial there. I would have broke it. Nice job.