PDA

View Full Version : 3 Faces in 1, Spalted Oak

Christopher K. Hartley
06-18-2006, 1:56 PM
Looking for advice on how this one could be improved. I have two more blanks just about like the one used to made this. I feel parts of the wood turned out good and other parts not so good. I did not get to try Ernie's advice on soaking the soft parts in MinWax Hardner, but I will use that on the next one. It is end turned, 7 1/2" X 3 1/4", sanded thru 400, finished with wipe down of Mineral oil, 2 coats clear Deft and waxed with mixture.

Tom Sherman
06-18-2006, 2:10 PM
Looks to me like you've done the mighty oak proud Chris.

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2006, 2:49 PM
I like it Chris. Some beautiful wood with lots of character. I like the little roll on the edge, thats a nice detail.

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-18-2006, 3:58 PM
Chris, you have some great wood there! The edge roll makes a great accent, and the shape has a pleasing quality to it. The only improvement I might suggest is rounding the form out a bit for a smoother, less abrupt surface.

laurie sullivan
06-18-2006, 4:54 PM
i know the perfect improvment........send it to me:D
great job

laurie

Christopher K. Hartley
06-18-2006, 5:10 PM
i know the perfect improvment........send it to me:D
great job

laurie

When I started turning it it was going to be a "Donation Bowl" for the oak I received in The Woodlands. Until you made this comment I was not sure it would pass muster. Now I'm thinking maybe it would be ok.:confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-18-2006, 6:29 PM
I don't know Chris, The form is interesting, the finish is smooth, and the grain pattern and spalting make for a very good lookin' bowl!

Bruce

Christopher K. Hartley
06-18-2006, 7:12 PM
I don't know Chris, The form is interesting, the finish is smooth, and the grain pattern and spalting make for a very good lookin' bowl!

Bruce Bruce if you expand this picture it may show the trouble a bit clearer.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2006, 7:49 PM
Chris looks pretty good to me. I like the grain pattern and spalting.

Ernie Nyvall
06-18-2006, 10:33 PM
From what I can tell, it looks real good Chris. Oh, there is also that epoxy/DNA mixture for putting on the punky parts. I haven't used it yet, but I understand it works well.

Ernie

Jim King
06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Chris: After rough turning and boiling soft spalted wood I put the peice into a bucket of 50% wood glue and 50% water for a few days . Take it out and let dry for a couple of weeks , you will be amazed at how it hardens up. As spalted wood is difficult to crack I put it in the direct sun to set the outside so it doesnt drain back out before it hardens up a bit.