PDA

View Full Version : Old Lathe

Bill O'Conner
06-18-2006, 1:55 PM
I got a Craftman Lathe from my Grandfather it's a 103-23071. I was wondering if this is a a good starter lathe?

Thanks
Bill

Scott Donley
06-18-2006, 2:28 PM
Welcome Bill, That lathe is the all cast iron one made by King Seeley, I just sold mine to make room for a larger one. If I had the room I would have kept it :( It was my first lathe and learned a lot on it. It is limited by the swing (9 inch) but great for pens, tea lights a vase or two, and goblets. Never tried bowls but no reason why you couldn't. It is a MT1 and 3/4 X 16 TPI, you can get the manual for it from the OWWM site. Good luck.

Bill O'Conner
06-18-2006, 2:37 PM
Thanks Scoot

What does OWWM stand for?:confused:

Scott Donley
06-18-2006, 2:44 PM
Thanks Scoot

What does OWWM stand for?:confused:Old wood working machines. Link (http://owwm.com)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2006, 2:47 PM
Bill......Welcome to the Creek! Be advised..........if you've never turned before..........it's an addiction!

Curt Fuller
06-18-2006, 2:49 PM
Many of the old lathes don't have the swing capacity of some of the newer ones. But if the bearings are still good and the motor works then it's probably a lot better machine than most of the new beginner type lathes. Plus, just being able to work at a machine that was once your grandfathers has to be a huge nostalgic plus.

Scott Donley
06-18-2006, 2:51 PM
Bill......Welcome to the Creek! Be advised..........if you've never turned before..........it's an addiction!If it was JUST an addiction you would have a chance to beat it :D

Bill O'Conner
06-18-2006, 2:53 PM
I did some turning as a child, Grandfather used to make tops and candle sticks and some other stuff with it. As kids he would show us the tops and than would help us make our own.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2006, 3:35 PM
Okay Bill...........you had the addiction whipped for a while. Now you're going to relapse and there is no cure or substitute!

Enjoy your grandfather's lathe! If I had one....even if I was to go to a bigger lathe, I keep that one just for sentimental reasons!