PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to buy a bandsaw

David Siniard
09-13-2003, 8:54 AM
Could someone give me some advice ? I am getting ready to buy a bandsaw the model that I am looking at is a Grizzly GO513 this is the 17 inch model with a 2 horse motor priced at $750.00. Does anyone own one of these or any other Grizzly products that I could get some info on I sure would be greatful..

Doug Cowan
09-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Contact Grizzly either by phone or email. Tell them the model you are interested in, and where you live, and they will give you contact info for owners of that model in your area. I have done that for several purchases and it has worked out well. As a side benifit you get to meet some fellow woodworkers in your area. Good Luck.

JayStPeter
09-14-2003, 3:28 PM
I don't think I'm allowed to post links here, so I made my homepage in my profile a link to my G0513 review for now. I'm too lazy and time constrained to put together a "homepage". I just put pages of stuff I want up and post links to it.

Joe Pack
09-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Could someone give me some advice ? I am getting ready to buy a bandsaw the model that I am looking at is a Grizzly GO513 this is the 17 inch model with a 2 horse motor priced at $750.00. Does anyone own one of these or any other Grizzly products that I could get some info on I sure would be greatful..

Hi David.

I just finished putting mine together. spent about 2 hours all together, which was mostly "playing" with the toy. The only hassle I had was that the table was not flat...the infeed side of the blade access slot was .003" lower than the outfeed side, and the alignment pin would not bring the sides up even with each other. I called Grizzly and they immediately promised a new one on the way. They called back about 3 days later and said there would be a delay...they had checked the replacement tops and found a batch of problems, so they would check and make sure the one they sent me was flat. It arrived about 8 days later. At first glance, it was out of flat also, but the alignment pin did it's job perfectly. I now have a perfectly flat table.

The saw came set up almost on the money. I had to square the blade to the table by installing and adjusting a "stop" bolt for the 90 degree setting...took about 10 minutes to have it "right on" the money. When I finally powered it up, there was a grinding noise that was not present when I spun the wheels by hand. Once I got smart enough to check the motor mounts, I found the mounting bolts were loose. I tightened them and that took care of the problem.

The stock fence is okay, not great, not bad. It could be higher. I'm going to find a way to adapt the Duginske (?) fence system I bought for my 14". It is much better, in my opinion. Still, the included fence is useful.

I took a file to some sharp edges on the table. Otherwise, the fit and finish were fine.

The cap screws that hold the guides in place are not flat on the tips. When I tightened them, they wanted to "walk" the shaft of the guides. I just allowed for drift and tightened them. When I get around to it, I will take them out and flatten the ends to eliminate the problem

I compared this saw to Delta, Jet and Grizzly 14" saws w/risers. In the end, I did not see how the Delta and Jet could possibly compare...the same amount of money (or more), with far less of everything. The Grizzly 14" looked like a super buy, but I went with the "buy it once" philosophy. Besides, Sweetie Pie was with me when I looked at them in the warehouse in WA and said, "I like this one. The bear on the side is a lot bigger." Who was I to argue?

Power. Size. Price point. Features. It ain't a Cadillac, but it ain't a Cavalier either. I don't see how you can get a better buy. I
E-mail me for more info if you wish. I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk.

Joe

David Siniard
09-16-2003, 2:33 AM
Hi David.

I just finished putting mine together. spent about 2 hours all together, which was mostly "playing" with the toy. The only hassle I had was that the table was not flat...the infeed side of the blade access slot was .003" lower than the outfeed side, and the alignment pin would not bring the sides up even with each other. I called Grizzly and they immediately promised a new one on the way. They called back about 3 days later and said there would be a delay...they had checked the replacement tops and found a batch of problems, so they would check and make sure the one they sent me was flat. It arrived about 8 days later. At first glance, it was out of flat also, but the alignment pin did it's job perfectly. I now have a perfectly flat table.

The saw came set up almost on the money. I had to square the blade to the table by installing and adjusting a "stop" bolt for the 90 degree setting...took about 10 minutes to have it "right on" the money. When I finally powered it up, there was a grinding noise that was not present when I spun the wheels by hand. Once I got smart enough to check the motor mounts, I found the mounting bolts were loose. I tightened them and that took care of the problem.

The stock fence is okay, not great, not bad. It could be higher. I'm going to find a way to adapt the Duginske (?) fence system I bought for my 14". It is much better, in my opinion. Still, the included fence is useful.

I took a file to some sharp edges on the table. Otherwise, the fit and finish were fine.

The cap screws that hold the guides in place are not flat on the tips. When I tightened them, they wanted to "walk" the shaft of the guides. I just allowed for drift and tightened them. When I get around to it, I will take them out and flatten the ends to eliminate the problem

I compared this saw to Delta, Jet and Grizzly 14" saws w/risers. In the end, I did not see how the Delta and Jet could possibly compare...the same amount of money (or more), with far less of everything. The Grizzly 14" looked like a super buy, but I went with the "buy it once" philosophy. Besides, Sweetie Pie was with me when I looked at them in the warehouse in WA and said, "I like this one. The bear on the side is a lot bigger." Who was I to argue?

Power. Size. Price point. Features. It ain't a Cadillac, but it ain't a Cavalier either. I don't see how you can get a better buy. I
E-mail me for more info if you wish. I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe, I have considered all possibilities and I belive that I am going to get the Jet 18 inch for the reasons that It come with a 19x19 table and the ball bearing guides which from what I can tell may be a bit better.. I know that there is a big price difference in the two but I feel for local service that the jet would serve me better I do how ever thank you very much for the information..all the info from freinds at SMC has been a great help..Thanks again David

Joe Pack
09-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info Joe, I have considered all possibilities and I belive that I am going to get the Jet 18 inch for the reasons that It come with a 19x19 table and the ball bearing guides which from what I can tell may be a bit better.. I know that there is a big price difference in the two but I feel for local service that the jet would serve me better I do how ever thank you very much for the information..all the info from freinds at SMC has been a great help..Thanks again David

Good luck. I think Jet is top quality stuff. I have their 1442 lathe and their 10" table saw . Hope you enjoy your new toy!