PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Larry Anderson
06-18-2006, 9:52 AM
A friend is looking to buy this saw http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/miter_saws/4212l.html and asked me what I thought. Will be primarily used for cross cutting and beveling 2x6 material. What do you think? Seems to me there might be something cheaper that will get the job done. He's a home owner project kinda guy, not a woodworker.

Per Swenson
06-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Larry,

You can not go wrong with any of the big three mitre saws.

Besides, the price is right.

Per

Bob Reda
06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Only thing with the Bosch is that not too many of those lasers fit it. I have a bosch and it has been fine for many years.

Lou Miller
06-18-2006, 11:16 AM
The newer Bosch saws have been receiving mixed reviews. Lots of reports about quality issues with them, so just beware. I have the same saw and mine is flawless. I bought it about 9 months ago. The only complaint I have about mine is a rather minor one. The laser is a POS. It wasn't even close to being calibrated correctly, and there's no way to adjust them. I didn't buy the saw for the laser though, so I just tossed it. I also have an older Bosch 3915 that I couldn't be happier with.

For the stated use of the saw, a cheaper alternative would work just fine, IMO.

glenn bradley
06-18-2006, 12:05 PM
For that price I'd almost buy one myself even though I am OK in the CMS department. If he doesn't NEED the 12" and doesn't do a lot of cutting there would be alternatives. I picked up my 10" DeWalt for $140 at the BORG diring a display-change sale. The Bosch is in a whole different league but the DeWalt (with a blade upgrade) has earned it's keep. I would hang onto it even if I did get a better unit.

Larry Anderson
06-18-2006, 1:31 PM
Isn't a 10" enough to cross cut and bevel 2x6's?

Lou Miller
06-18-2006, 1:44 PM
Most 10" saws will be enough, but make sure you check the capacities of the saw first though. Due to the construction of the saw, not all 10"ers will get the job done.