PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day+ New Grill...Opinions Wanted

Tim Morton
06-17-2006, 5:21 PM
Well ..I spent all last weekend trying to breath new life into my 5 year old Kenmore Elite grill. It never really did it for me...stainless steel looked awful after the first year and the heat was never all that even...hot in spots...but the whole front closest to the knobs was never hot....so I am going to grab a new one....obviously Weber is on the list...and I do not want stainless again. Any good grills i should look at? I really want the fancy weber charcoal grill but it may not be practical as we do alot of midweek BBQ's and gas is easier.

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 5:37 PM
hi Tim: BoSox looking good today vs Atlanta but Josh is faltering in the 5th. I love Weber and I have the gas for convenience. (You can grill year round). Its the only grill I've ever had where the electric starter still works (first press) every time and its over 6 years old. My son had a big gas grill (can't remember brand name) and he switched back to Weber last summer. They are a little more $ than others but IMHO worth it!! Schilling pitches tommorrow...:) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
06-17-2006, 6:10 PM
Tim, I don't think you can go wrong with the Weber line. I've got a stainless Brinkmann 4-burner gas grill, and although the looks have stayed fine, it's never cooked evenly, regardless of the tiles/ceramic briquettes/lava media I've tried. I've got an ancient Kmart twin burner that's got more even heat than the Brinkmann.

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
06-17-2006, 6:14 PM
I've been seeing adverts on TV that there is 10% off at Lowes this weekend.

Just go buy it. :D :D :D

edit: The big one; Get the big one. :D

Mark Rios
06-17-2006, 6:21 PM
Okay, Serious now.

Here is a pic of the first few top rated grills from Consumer Reports.

I'M NOT AGREEING OR DISAGREEING WITH PREVIOUS POSTS. I'm not what you'd call a Master BBQ'er; If I can cook chicken or hamburgers on the grill without burning it to a crisp, then I've done a good job.

I'm just posting this to try to help and give info. Please don't hurt me.:D :D

Jim Becker
06-17-2006, 7:10 PM
Weber Genisis Silver or the current equivalent. Cooks Illustrated tested a bunch of them awhile back, including some high-end $3000 jobbies and the Weber took the prize. I got mine at HD...love it.

Tim Morton
06-17-2006, 8:33 PM
Okay, Serious now.

Here is a pic of the first few top rated grills from Consumer Reports.

I'M NOT AGREEING OR DISAGREEING WITH PREVIOUS POSTS. I'm not what you'd call a Master BBQ'er; If I can cook chicken or hamburgers on the grill without burning it to a crisp, then I've done a good job.

I'm just posting this to try to help and give info. Please don't hurt me.:D :D

Thanks for the link( and to everyone who loves the weber)...I just got back from HD...no grill yet.:D

I did not like the VT casting grills.(even if I am from vermont)...back in the day they were top shelf grills...but the ones i saw at HD were small and nothing special.

The weber silver is nice...but I have had enough of the porcelain/cast iron grates, and would like to try the stainless steel grates. They had the Weber genesis "gold" that was identical to the silver...except it had the SS grates, and the flavor bars were better quality on the gold..and it was 10% off. I almost snagged it but I decided to take another day and sleep on it.

On a side note...th eburners were identical in all the grills at HD...kind of a stanless stel bar with holes in it...is this the new standard?

Tom Hamilton
06-17-2006, 8:40 PM
Just to add to the Weber chorus, I've had charcoal Weber Kettles for 25 years, last Easter the Bunny brought me a Genesis Silver. It was a pre-assembled model from the Depot and was missing a few parts and pieces.

A call to the Weber 800 number resulted in a package on the front step a few days later and I was in biz.

The push to spark always works, the thermo is accurate and the casters work. Hard to beat a winner.

Can't recommend Mr. Weber's product highly enough.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, who just finished a T-Bone on the Weber!

Karl Laustrup
06-17-2006, 8:40 PM
I've got a Weber Genesis Gold. Second one I've owned. Bought the first in 1984. Put it to rest two years ago. I use it all year, even up here. I just heard that Vermont Casting and another big name are owned by Weber also. Not sure about it, but if they are then I'd not hesitate on one of those name brands.

Karl

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2006, 8:48 PM
Here is a pic of the first few top rated grills from Consumer Reports.Ooh, they liked my new CharBroil!:cool:
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29142)
Only had it since Christmas, but sure like it so far.

Tim Morton
06-17-2006, 8:55 PM
I've got a Weber Genesis Gold. Second one I've owned. Bought the first in 1984. Put it to rest two years ago. I use it all year, even up here. I just heard that Vermont Casting and another big name are owned by Weber also. Not sure about it, but if they are then I'd not hesitate on one of those name brands.

Karl

Ducane is also owned by weber now.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2006, 9:38 PM
Tim.........I bought a Weber Genesis when they weren't called Genesis Silver or Gold. I can buy parts for the Silver and they fit mine sometimes requiring some minor modifications. I think they only made this model for a a year or two and then went to those you see today. I've lost track of how many years I've had it but it seems like forever and the Doggone thing just won't quit so I can find an excuse to buy another one. My neighbor suckered me into to buying it. A few years later he bought his. Good luck with your decision!

Fred Voorhees
06-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Another Weber fan here. The wife and I enjoy ours. In fact, it was pork on the grill tonight after roughly nine hours straight of yard work around the house in fairly high humidity.

Mike Evertsen
06-18-2006, 9:53 AM
I bought a 3 burner brinkmann from walmart. what I wanted in a grill was at least three burners so I could do indirect cooking after looking at other grills I bought this one because the burners ran front to back instead of side to side I thought that would give even heating. I have only had two days and only cooked two meals on it I'm happy with it so far.

John Miliunas
06-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Tim, most anything from the Weber "family" and you'll be good to go!!! :) We went with the Silver a few years back and have been real happy with it. :) :cool:

Tim Morton
06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Tim, most anything from the Weber "family" and you'll be good to go!!! :) We went with the Silver a few years back and have been real happy with it. :) :cool:

Just got back from the "local" hardware store...they had a weber silver with the stainless grates and the stainless flavor bar's and it had the enamel cover...IOW...exactly what I was looking for...and it was less than at the HD since it was last years model...

it now resides on my deck....minus one toenail (OUCH)....but now i can sit on the couch or in the pool with my foot up and have people feel sorry for me:cool:

I see a cold beer and some ibuprofin in my futu:eek: re....

John Miliunas
06-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Just got back from the "local" hardware store...they had a weber silver with the stainless grates and the stainless flavor bar's and it had the enamel cover...IOW...exactly what I was looking for...and it was less than at the HD since it was last years model...

it now resides on my deck....minus one toenail (OUCH)....but now i can sit on the couch or in the pool with my foot up and have people feel sorry for me:cool:

I see a cold beer and some ibuprofin in my futu:eek: re....

Grill??? What grill??? I don't see no stinkin' grill!!! :eek: :D Pics, Tim!!! We need pics!!! :D (However, we'll pass on the pics of the toe!!!:eek: ) How did you manage that one, BTW???:confused:

Anyhow, congrats on the new grill! Me thinks you'll very much enjoy it! In the meantime, I think it's Noon somewhere, so go get yourself some Ibu and wash it down with a cold one (or two, or three...:D ):cool:

Jim Becker
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Congrats, Tim!!! Excellent choice. And Happy Father's Day...are the kids going to cook you dinner on the new, albeit invisible, grill?? :D

Tim Morton
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Grill??? What grill??? I don't see no stinkin' grill!!! :eek: :D Pics, Tim!!! We need pics!!! :D (However, we'll pass on the pics of the toe!!!:eek: ) How did you manage that one, BTW???:confused:

Anyhow, congrats on the new grill! Me thinks you'll very much enjoy it! In the meantime, I think it's Noon somewhere, so go get yourself some Ibu and wash it down with a cold one (or two, or three...:D ):cool:

Geez...can't even rest on the couch with my foot up without a knock on the door from the picture police:D Here is t he old and the new...and toe pictures are avaible by PM:D I ripped if off in my garage grabbing a piece of rope to tie the grill to my PU. The rope was caught on a board and pulling the rope pulled the board onto my toe....and I was wearing teva's. So tecnically speaking maybe this is a woodworking injury?

Jerry Olexa
06-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Hey Tim...Weber rules...They are a GREAT grill... Mine's 6 yrs old and performs well..Congrats and enjoy...Turn on the RedSox game and break out a cold Narragansett (Sp). Manny should be back today:) :D

Vaughn McMillan
06-18-2006, 3:14 PM
Congrats on the new grill, Tim. Your old grill looks very similar to the newer of my two grills. (Mine had more of a cabinet, but the grill part and knobs look just like yours.) If they are indeed the same, I can see why you wanted to get something else. ;) I'm sure the Weber will be a great step up.

And what is it about grills and toes? I broke a toe several years back while assembling a big steel smoker. (Ran over my foot with it while trying to move it from the vertical to the horizontal position.) :(

- Vaughn

Tim Morton
06-18-2006, 3:21 PM
Congrats on the new grill, Tim. Your old grill looks very similar to the newer of my two grills. (Mine had more of a cabinet, but the grill part and knobs look just like your.) If they are indeed the same, I can see why you wanted to get something else. ;) I'm sure the Weber will be a great step up.

And what is it about grills and toes? I broke a toe several years back while assembling a big steel smoker. (Ran over my foot with it while trying to move it from the vertical the the horizontal position.) :(

- Vaughn

who knows...but i am finding that beer and pool water seems to be taking the sting out of this one.:cool:

Peter Mc Mahon
06-18-2006, 5:57 PM
Good move Tim. I only just caught this post now. The Weber bbq at HD are not the same as the Webers sold anywhere else. You will always notice that at HD they advertise cast iron grates a $40 value or something to that degree. You won't find these models in the weber books. I have the same model as you and I love it. Crank her up high sear your steak then cook till done. Oh man am I ever hungry. Havn't done groceries yet. Must eat getting weak gettttimmmg mweeekkk ..;'.,/;'[]-./;

Eddie Watkins
06-18-2006, 6:17 PM
Congratulations Tim! I just won :eek: a new CharBroil 65,200 btu unit in a drawing and it seems to work fine. I would not have bought a unit this big had I been picking. It did cost $50 to get the gas conversion kit, though, and another $30 for the cover. I have an old (like 10 years) Kenmore gas grill that has been an outstanding unit that I had just replaced all the grills, rocks, and cover and it is still working fine. If anybody wants to pick it up, I have been trying to give it away. That was one raffle that I signed up for that I really didn't care if I won or not.:rolleyes:

Eddie

Karl Laustrup
06-19-2006, 8:06 AM
SWEET!!!!

Now, take care of that toe and pratice this line......

Bring me my/a..................

Karl

Frank Fusco
06-20-2006, 9:54 AM
I have used the standard Weber kettle for more than 40 years. The original finally needed replacing after I left it in the pasture following a picnic. The bull thought it was a toy. Not fancy but does a great job on everything. We have never done a turkey any other way than the Weber. I have a large, expensive, smoker/cooker that hasn't been used in five years. KETTLE RULES!