PDA

View Full Version : Night stand done-Pics!!

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 2:16 PM
About a year ago, I built a cherry headboard which was posted here. LOML has been asking me to build a night table to go with it.. Being a good husband, I obliged..:) Its made of solid cherry throughout (except a piece of ¾ ply hidden in base)so I had to deal with wood movement. First time I ever attempted bracket feet and it was interesting. Also used wood runners etc for the drawers vs hardware. So lots of new stuff for me but much fun and rewarding. Finished it with BLO and padded on 3 coats of garnet shellac. Love this look on cherry. Feels like you’re looking into the grain. The camera angles are intentional to hide all my mistakes.

Dennis Peacock
06-17-2006, 2:24 PM
It's BEAUTIMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. Great details. You did GOOD!!!!:D

Karl Laustrup
06-17-2006, 2:45 PM
Well, early Happy Birthday Jerry. That is a beautiful piece of furniture. That is your B-Day present right?

Now you're going to have to come up and visit. And give me some WW lessons. :eek: :)

Karl

Bruce Page
06-17-2006, 3:32 PM
Jerry, that's a beautiful piece of furniture! Are you going to make a mate for it? You've got to have one on each side of the bed, otherwise you'll be fighting over it! :D

Bob Noles
06-17-2006, 3:39 PM
Jerry,

That is a spectacular job (understatement). You do some really nice work.... almost too nice as it looks better than store bought. I love the wood and the attention to detail.

You did GREAT!

Joe Unni
06-17-2006, 5:36 PM
Very nice Jerry.

Your wife must be very happy!

-joe

David Wilson
06-17-2006, 5:43 PM
Jerry
Great job on the night table. Did you give it some sun before finishing?

Dave Ray
06-17-2006, 6:19 PM
Jerry, it's Fathers Day coming up not Mothers Day. LOL :) :) These are beautiful. It's really good to learn and experiment with new techniques/methods when we build something. You really did a super job on these.

Dave

Mac McAtee
06-17-2006, 6:22 PM
Jerry,
Beautiful work. My wife would force me to make two of them.

Tell me about the pull out at the top. Is that a leather covered writing surface? Or does it have some other function?

lou sansone
06-17-2006, 6:34 PM
very nice indeed. looks pretty good to me
so .... on the bracket feet, did you shape them first and then miter or the other way around ?

lou

Henry Cavanaugh
06-17-2006, 6:35 PM
Very Nice. Is the black material on the pull out leather or wood?

Alan Tolchinsky
06-17-2006, 6:40 PM
Jerry, I love that piece with the 3 drawers and slide out table. Beautiful color and finish. Way to go! Alan in Md.

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 6:40 PM
Jerry
Great job on the night table. Did you give it some sun before finishing?
No Dave Just heavy BLO and dark Garnet shellac padded on. Thanks for compliment

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 6:41 PM
Jerry, that's a beautiful piece of furniture! Are you going to make a mate for it? You've got to have one on each side of the bed, otherwise you'll be fighting over it! :D
Bruce its for a guest room (xtra bedroom) and luckily, its too small for 2 of these:D :) Thanks

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 6:46 PM
Jerry,
Beautiful work. My wife would force me to make two of them.

Tell me about the pull out at the top. Is that a leather covered writing surface? Or does it have some other function?

See post above why not 2 ? The pull out is Plastic lam bought at the BORG and glued on and trimmed w Cherry on edges. LOML likes it:) :D Its more for cup of coffee or reading as well as writing but not leather:)

Jim Becker
06-17-2006, 6:47 PM
Nice!!! Great job, Jerry!

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 6:51 PM
very nice indeed. looks pretty good to me
so .... on the bracket feet, did you shape them first and then miter or the other way around ?

lou
I shaped them (cove)first on the TS, then lots of waste removal and rasp and hand sanding. I made a form on band saw to sand the new shape. Then CMS for miters. Band saw cutting was last and then more sanding. Gluing was tricky. Used both hide glue for the holders and TB3 for miters. It was fun!

Shelley Bolster
06-17-2006, 6:54 PM
Wonderful job Jerry! Although ogee feet are a little time consuming, I personally think they are worth every minute.....they just really set off a piece of furniture. It all goes together really nicely!

Corey Hallagan
06-17-2006, 7:41 PM
Yikes, that is a beautiful piece Jerry! Nice job!

Corey

Corey Hallagan
06-17-2006, 7:42 PM
Yikes, that is a beautiful piece Jerry! Nice job!

Corey

tod evans
06-17-2006, 8:19 PM
nice work jerry!

Frankie Hunt
06-17-2006, 8:33 PM
Very nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2006, 9:45 PM
Utterly beautiful Jerry! Fantastic work! I like everything about it!

Vaughn McMillan
06-17-2006, 9:53 PM
Great job. Jerry. You do top-notch work indeed. If this is the stuff that gets put in the guest room, I can only imagine what you'd build for the master bedroom. ;) :)

- Vaughn

Ron Jones near Indy
06-17-2006, 9:55 PM
Very nice! What is the next piece, the dresser or the chest?

Carl Eyman
06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Great Work, Jerry. Keep it up

David Duke
06-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Great looking piece Jerry, you have every reason to be proud!!

John Miliunas
06-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Jerry, I'm (almost) speechless! :D That is absolutely, positively, drop-dead gorgeous!!! :) For a guy who typically downplays his WW abilities, you sure could've had a lot of people fooled! But not after seeing that piece! :) Extremely well done, and furthermore, I now know who to come to with my WW questions!!! :D You da man, Jerry! :) :cool:

Mike Goetzke
06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Very inspiring piece! Makes me want to try those bracketed feet.

Mike

Jerry Olexa
06-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Nice!!! Great job, Jerry!

Thanks, Jim! Jim was responsible for convincing me to go shellac only for the topcoat on top of the oil. (I was initially concerned about abrasion etc on a table top and felt it needed some form of varnish but went w Jim's plan). LOML and I both love the look as is and double thanks to Jim for the good advice.:)

Jerry Olexa
06-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks to all for your kind words. This truly was a labor of love and I learned a lot i.e.,The bracket feet, drawer fitting, wood movement issues of solid cherry,the finishing, etc. Some were new experiences and it was fun building. Also learned the value of patience as this was one project I couldn't rush. Thanks again for your praise and comments!! Amazing how a camera and lighting can cover up mistakes. :D :cool: Oh well, on to planning the next one!:)

Roy Hatch
06-18-2006, 7:59 AM
Jerry,
I don't see that you were distracted by the many shortcuts that often tempt us, and the finished piece shows it. Solid wood, bracket feet, wooden runners, and shellac are all part of fine furniture. This one will be treasured for years and you should never look at it say, "If I had done such and such, it would have been better." Of course, you probably are aware that you may have set a stardard for your work?
Roy

Charles Bruno
06-18-2006, 9:01 AM
That is one sharp looking night stand! Nice work!

Matt Meiser
06-18-2006, 9:29 AM
That is one beautiful night stand. Its design reminds me of a small chest of drawers my parents have had since I was a kid.

JIm McMullen
06-18-2006, 6:42 PM
Heirloom quality, Jerry--very nice work. Great color (and will only get better with time). Jim

Ralph Okonieski
06-18-2006, 9:39 PM
Beautiful job ! I love the pull out shelf. Very, Very nice!

Von Bickley
06-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Jerry,
That is one great piece of furniture.

John Scarpa
06-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Jerry,

Looks beautiful! Nice work on the bracket feet. I really like that look and you did a great job.

Mark Rios
06-19-2006, 1:06 AM
JERRY, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.

But you will have to make another one. The terms of service mandate it. I remember reading that we are not allowed to talk about stuff like one night stands in the bedroom. This is a family forum, afterall. Please remember this for next time.

:D :D :D

Rick de Roque
06-19-2006, 2:11 AM
Love the cherry. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Gregg Mason
06-19-2006, 2:22 AM
Very Nice Jerry. I also like the pull out for drinks, etc. Hopefully that will avoid any potential damage to the top.

Is this your design ?

Bob Childress
06-19-2006, 7:50 AM
and a great finish on it! As the kids would say (or used to say yesterday) "You da' bomb!"

You are also exposed as being a good deal more talented than you have been letting on.;)

larry merlau
06-19-2006, 8:24 AM
very nice job jerry and to think your a wisconsin reget we will taek you for our team, the bracket feet are on my list of things to do on a upcoming project so will use you for some tips as i nd them when i start. nd it too will be outa cherry. thanks for sharing another skill with us.

Jerry Olexa
06-19-2006, 3:53 PM
Very Nice Jerry. I also like the pull out for drinks, etc. Hopefully that will avoid any potential damage to the top.

Is this your design ?

Gregg, I adapted this from an old Woodsmith plan. Biggest changes were solid cherry throughout. Didn't use ply except in bottom piece (hidden). Made top w different lines. Not an original:D :) but liked the overall design of the original plan.

Jerry Olexa
06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
A few of you (Bruce, Mac etc) asked why I didn't build TWO ?? I took some pics yesterday to show how tight the space is in that small guest room. It'll also show how my wife "spruced it up" with books, lamp, etc (not my strong suite):D . Thanks for your comments

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
That is quite nice work.
The little legs are a very nice touch.