PDA

View Full Version : 3520a toolrest

W.C. Turner
06-17-2006, 1:33 PM
Hi All,

I've been unhappy with the toolrest that came with the 3520, & would like to replace it.

1) Has anybody else done this?
2)) What did you replace it with?
3) Does anybody have a link for the General website(that makes lathes, etc. in Canada), and the Woodfast website?? I want to see if they have a rest with a 1" toolrest post for the 3520A? Anybody know?
4) Y'all got any replacement recommendations?

Thanks,
W.C.

Dennis Peacock
06-17-2006, 2:26 PM
1" stainless steel welded into a "T" shape. I still use the stock rest fairly often, but I also have the modular setup for Lee Valley as well, to include the curved rests for inside/outside bowls. Works good, but takes some getting used to.

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 5:21 PM
W.C., I'm kind of wondering what it is you don't like about your tool rest. I have one and am pretty happy with it, but then I don't have any experience with any others except for one that was really pitiful.

Ernie

Frank Fusco
06-18-2006, 8:11 AM
I get tool rests made at a local welding shop using 1" rod and angle iron. Their charge is shop minimum of $10.00. Or you can order from catalogs and pay about $30.00 plus shipping.

W.C. Turner
06-18-2006, 1:54 PM
W.C., I'm kind of wondering what it is you don't like about your tool rest. I have one and am pretty happy with it, but then I don't have any experience with any others except for one that was really pitiful.

Ernie

I am wanting a toolrest kinda like Ellsworth uses in his gouge video. When trying to replicate the cuts he shows in that video, the PM toolrest is too far away from the bowl to make these cuts, especially the slicing cut, & the shearing cut. I also have the 6" PM rest. It, like the 14" rest, is shaped wrong. The 6" is better on some cuts, but, the little hump that sticks gets in my way many times. A lot of the time, I'll turn the 6" rest around the wrong way to make it work better, & get the tool closer to the wood. There's too much offset of the post in relation to the rest. Other than the tool rests, I very happy with the 3520A.

Jim Ketron
06-18-2006, 2:24 PM
I made my own, didn't care for the stock one myself.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/rests.jpg