PDA

View Full Version : Tannewitz Works Type J

Jake Helmboldt
06-17-2006, 1:20 PM
What is a reasonable price to pay for such a saw that is in OK shape. Table slightly rusty, paint beat up, etc, but no major rust or flaws?

Also, is this a direct drive or belt-drive motor? The seller does not know if it is 1 or 3 phase. Were any of these single phase?

Lastly, since the grooves for the mitre gauge is so wide, what do you do about using modern mitre gauges?

Alan DuBoff
06-17-2006, 2:43 PM
What is a reasonable price to pay for such a saw that is in OK shape. Table slightly rusty, paint beat up, etc, but no major rust or flaws?There was a Tannie U that didn't sell on ebay for $1200 recentely, and the company had several they were trying to off.

The tables on these saws are to die for, IMO.

Also, is this a direct drive or belt-drive motor? The seller does not know if it is 1 or 3 phase. Were any of these single phase?Most all were 3 phase that I've run across. Albeit, I'm no expert on these saws.

Don't have any answers on the miter, I'm just trying to research them myself.

lou sansone
06-17-2006, 6:31 PM
price depends on condition... probably between 500 and 750 should do it, but I have seem them go for much more and they are worth much more
when you try to compare the quality to a Taiwan unisaw made today

2. they are direct drive and 3 phase ... I have never seen a single phase unit

3. miter slots are one of the distinguishing features of these and other old iron saws. you should be able to find the miter gauge for less than 200. once you see one in person you will see that using a modern miter gauge would be moving in the wrong direction

best wishes
Lou

Mike Songstad
06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Hello, new around here; thought I'd jump in. A friend of mine 'stole' a Tannewitz for $400 at an auction. Evidently no one else there recognized its value. He loves that machine. Yes, that miter gauge is pretty impressive.

Mike

Jake Helmboldt
06-18-2006, 3:48 PM
So if they were 3ph and direct drive is there an easy way to swap out the motor to run it single phase?

Sounds like once you take care of finding a mitre gauge, dealing with the 1/3 ph issue and any reconditioning it is likely to have spent q pretty penny, even if you get the saw for a good price.

Hmmm

Alan DuBoff
06-18-2006, 4:22 PM
So if they were 3ph and direct drive is there an easy way to swap out the motor to run it single phase?

Sounds like once you take care of finding a mitre gauge, dealing with the 1/3 ph issue and any reconditioning it is likely to have spent q pretty penny, even if you get the saw for a good price.

HmmmJake,

Let me just say I'm no expert on old saws and only researching to find one myself.

There's a Tanny J up on auction, which is back east. I would post a link, but not sure if that meets the TOS. I'll PM you the link.

Most of those saws have direct drive motors and you can't replace the motor so easily. You will be best getting a phase converter, which can be an expense as you point out.

In a way it's a shame, there's a lot of wonderful saws that nobody is paying any real $$$s for as they're 3 phase and big/heavy. Most people want small, compact saws these days, err...except me, I'm looking at those big lugs...:D

Those are great saws, I'll PM you the link. However, since your profile doesn't mention where you live, I can't help out any better than that. If you see something on the west coast, please let me know.