PDA

View Full Version : Kayak progress 6/17/06

David Wilson
06-17-2006, 1:05 PM
Been making progress on the Kayak project. The hull and deck are glassed together and this morning I did the first end poor. This involves mixing up about a cup of epoxy and mixing it with chunks of styrofoam to make a light weight filler. This is lowered into the end of the kayak amd dumped. It gives the ends a little more strength and provides a solin end so holes can be drilled for grab loops.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41065&stc=1&d=1150562108

Frank Hagan
06-17-2006, 1:08 PM
Very nice! Nothing prettier than a stripper kayak.

We sold our blow molded sit on top kayak, and I'm looking at building the next one. How much would you estimate yours weighs in at? I have a couple of books on stripper kayaks, but I'll probably go with a stitch and glue design as weight is a real issue for us.

Brett Baldwin
06-17-2006, 1:49 PM
Looks like your getting close to launch her. That's a neat trick with the epoxy/styrofoam mix. I wonder if the polyurethane pour foam we make would work well in that situation. I know one customer uses it to fill barge hulls.

David Wilson
06-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Very nice! Nothing prettier than a stripper kayak.

We sold our blow molded sit on top kayak, and I'm looking at building the next one. How much would you estimate yours weighs in at? I have a couple of books on stripper kayaks, but I'll probably go with a stitch and glue design as weight is a real issue for us.

Frank. I havn't wieghed her but I would estinate at about 40 lbs