PDA

View Full Version : Question about unopened glue

Dennis Peacock
06-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a container of Urea Formaldahyde resin and hardner. I have not opened this since I purchased it about 18 months ago. Do you think it would be safe to use it now? I know shelf life is 12 months, and can be extended if stored in cool dry place, which it has been.

I'm working on this computer desk and I need a "structural" adhesive for the primary "support" joints. I need to know today, so if you have an idea, please let me know. I also have yellow glue (normally not recommeneded for structural joints, poly glue, and I can get epoxy but would have to buy it in all the little small tubes locally.

Whacha say?

tod evans
06-17-2006, 12:17 PM
mix some up and try it on a piece of scrap, put it in clamps, 2-1x4`s at 90 deg about 2ft long, leave it clamped for an hour and a half then try and leverage the joint apart. if the fibers shread i`d use it...02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2006, 12:44 PM
18 months isn't the atcual shelf life. The killer issues are how it was stored and whether you opened it.

If you opened it in the presence of the reactive cemiscals you may have lost it. Then again maybe not.

When I waws with ADL there was a Poly-Chem guy with a complete lab. He'd have hundreds of containers of all sorts of multi part adhesives and epoxies which he used to formulate reserarch projects. He never seemed to much care about shelf life.

Dennis Peacock
06-17-2006, 2:22 PM
18 months isn't the atcual shelf life. The killer issues are how it was stored and whether you opened it.
Manufacturer says 12 months on the shelf life. I'm not a chemist...so I have to remember how to read. ;)

If you opened it in the presence of the reactive cemiscals you may have lost it. Then again maybe not.
Never been opened, I ordered from the factory and never touched it, until now.

When I waws with ADL there was a Poly-Chem guy with a complete lab. He'd have hundreds of containers of all sorts of multi part adhesives and epoxies which he used to formulate reserarch projects. He never seemed to much care about shelf life.
Well....I have 2 months work and $400 in materials on a computer desk, so I do care if the last joinery glueups are going to be good? or cause a total failure of the desk. I'm particular when it comes to structural joints. :rolleyes:

Curt Harms
06-17-2006, 3:47 PM
sorry if this is a hijack. I have Franklin liquid hide glue that's about 2 years expired and has been opened. I tried gluing a couple sticks together them stress the joint. I'd not use it for a structural joint probably but it held fine 'til I wet it:D

Curt

Dave Ray
06-17-2006, 6:09 PM
Dennis, from what you have described as far as storage and being sealed, I would use it. However when you state you have $$$ in material and many hours in labor I get the feeling ....You don't feel safe with it. I would go invest in the newer smaller tubes of epoxy just to give me that warm fuzzy feeling. Best of luck, no matter which way you go. I always look forward to your emails. :) :)

Dave

Charlie Plesums
06-17-2006, 11:27 PM
My vote:

First choice would be the well cared for Urea Formaldehyde, no matter how old.

Second choice would be yellow glue... Might even be the first choice. The tiny amount of creep gives an advantage in fighting wood movement.

Third choice would be good epoxy, but I have never considered the stuff in little, expensive tubes any good.

Fourth choice would be a mixture of flour and water

Fifth choice would be Gorilla glue. No make that seventh or 8th choice. The only joint that failed (other than "if I try some glue on it, I wonder if it will hold) was Gorilla glue. I hate the stuff.