PDA

View Full Version : bad motor?

Frank Fusco
06-17-2006, 10:31 AM
I know I'm opening myself up for a lot of Grizzly bashing but would like input from the jury.
Yesterday, while turning, I shut off the lathe (a Grizzly G1067Z) to inspect the work. When I hit the switch to turn back on all I got was a buzz. Tried several times, same result. Waited for cooling although motor wasn't hot, no change.
Called Griz tech support and was told the capacitor was probably the villan. Removed capacitor and took to a local electric motor repair shop. He tested and said it was OK.
Meaning the motor is at fault somehow. Hope this doesn't mean it is completely shot.
Will remove motor and take to fix-it shop next week.
Any other ideas?

Kenneth George
06-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I know I don’t post all that much but I also had this issue with the Grizzly motor on the lathe I used to have. I was also told by a Grizzly tech that it could be the capacitor and they sent me a new one. It also did not help and the issue ended up being a loose bolt on the centrifugal switch. As is my way I took pictures and wrote up the experience so if it is any help to you that information is here;

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/g5979/motorproblem/motortrouble1.html

Ken

tod evans
06-17-2006, 10:52 AM
frank, kenneth is probably right, pull the back end off and check the switch. if this is an open drip-proof motor i`d be certain it`s the switch, not knowing i`d still check. .02 tod

Frank Fusco
06-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I know I don’t post all that much but I also had this issue with the Grizzly motor on the lathe I used to have. I was also told by a Grizzly tech that it could be the capacitor and they sent me a new one. It also did not help and the issue ended up being a loose bolt on the centrifugal switch. As is my way I took pictures and wrote up the experience so if it is any help to you that information is here;

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/g5979/motorproblem/motortrouble1.html

Ken

Ken, Tod, that is an excellent suggestion. I'll check it out myself. The motor, I'm told, is a TEFEC, or something, (totally enclosed fan cooled). Mine has been in daily use for four years. I recall, at one time a couple years ago, it gave me the same fits for a few tries then started again.
Frank

Charlie Hans
06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Frank the problem could be saw dust in the centrifugal switch, try blowing out the back end of the motor housing with an air hose and see if that helps. The switches sometimes get dirt buildup on the contacts and prevent them from making good contact
Charlie

tod evans
06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
frank, i didn`t look at kenneths link prior to posting but it appears as though the motor windings are enclosed but the switch is open to the enviornment. so i`m bettin` either the switch is faulty or dirty..02 tod

CPeter James
06-17-2006, 11:47 AM
99% says it is the starter switch.

CPeter

Frank Fusco
06-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Sounds encouraging guys. Thanks. I now go to do a pen turing demo for my woodturning club. Will have to assemble a pen that does not have final sanding or finish on it. Oh, well. But they will get the idea.
I'll give an update next week on the motor.

Paul Downes
06-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Frank, I have a green shop, and have been mostly happy with the quality of the machines. I did have the same problem with my drill press. Turned out to be both the capacitor and the centrifugal switch. It has worked fine since I replaced the capacitor and fixed the switch. I saw a post by a guy who suggested that any chinese motors get taken to a motor shop and get dipped. He stated that there wasn't sufficient resin on those motors and it was cheap insurance to get them dipped and baked. I haven't done this yet but is something to consider.

Jim Bell
06-18-2006, 12:01 PM
The last time I checked there is no way to check a capacitor. I would buy a new capacitor. Probably cost less than ten bucks.
Jim

Frank Fusco
06-18-2006, 1:20 PM
The last time I checked there is no way to check a capacitor. I would buy a new capacitor. Probably cost less than ten bucks.
Jim

I took mine to an electric motor repair shop in our town. He put the capacitor on an amp. meter to check and said OK. This was the same procedure reccomended by Grizzly tech support.

Mark Rios
06-18-2006, 1:26 PM
Frank, I have a green shop, and have been mostly happy with the quality of the machines.

I've been living in California too long I think. When I first read this sentence I thought that Paul was saying that all his machines were Energy Star compliant machines and environmentally friendly.

I'm such a bonehead. :D :D :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-18-2006, 3:49 PM
Jim

Although I would agree, Jim, that replacing the starting capacitor is quite possibly inexpensive and definitely a good starting point, I would argue your statement about checking a capacitor. Two tests exist which can test the soundness of a capacitor: leakage resistance (or current) and equivalent series resistance (ESR).

Leakage resistance is a measure of a capacitor's DC blocking capability. In a perfect world, a capacitor would have infinite leakage resistance (zero leakage current). If you use an ohmmeter on a discharged capacitor, you should see the resistance increase quickly to an infinite (or near infinite, possibly in the gigohms range) value. The larger the capacitor (value in Farads), the more slowly the rise to infinite resistance. If the capacitor settles on a fairly measurable resistance (in the range of a megohm or so to start, lower resistance is worse), then your capacitor possibly has a short in it somewhere, and needs to be replaced.

ESR is a measure of the equivalent resistance presented by a capacitor at a certain AC frequency. In order to calculate the ideal ESR, you need to know the capacitance and the frequency. The ideal ESR would be equal to the capacitor's reactance at that frequency: 1/(2*pi*f*C), where f is the frequency (in Hertz) and C is the capacitance (in Farads). Most woodshops would not be equipped to make such a measurement, however if you happen to know a radio amateur, she or he may have a means by which to determine the ESR of your capacitor. If the ESR of the capacitor is significantly greater than the calculated reactance, it's time to replace the capacitor.

All this is, for the most part, academic, however when you're dealing with hard-to-find capacitors, the cost of replacement may be high enough to deem testing to be cost-effective.

Frank Fusco
06-19-2006, 5:29 PM
Frank the problem could be saw dust in the centrifugal switch, try blowing out the back end of the motor housing with an air hose and see if that helps. The switches sometimes get dirt buildup on the contacts and prevent them from making good contact
Charlie

That's what I did and that was the problem. I cleaned it out with the blower then took the whole thing to the repair shop. He put it on the bench and tested, runs fine. Methinks that, with regular use, an annual blowing out is a good idea. He saw my lodge ring and wouldn't charge me for his testing and reassembling. Tomorrow I'm bringing him a pen I turned. My problem was simple but this thread was a good education. Thanks, y'all.

Paul Downes
06-19-2006, 8:45 PM
Yah, I have my kids slaved to the machines on series, treddle and hamster style squirrel cage. I do have to feed them sometimes, but I'm not using any power from the grid therefore contributing to gloal warming and corporate polluters. :eek:

Matt Meiser
06-19-2006, 8:53 PM
I've been living in California too long I think. When I first read this sentence I thought that Paul was saying that all his machines were Energy Star compliant machines and environmentally friendly.

Aren't woodworking machines non-environmentally friendly by definitiion? Taking poor, defenseless, living trees and turning them into objects for human use and enjoyment? :rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Glad everything worked out ok and it was a cheap fix Frank!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
06-19-2006, 10:26 PM

Ditto for me.

On both counts. :p

Frank, glad to see you got it sorted out. I'll keep your experience here for future reference should the need arise.

- Vaughn