PDA

View Full Version : A few of my bowls

Sparky Paessler
09-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Well the turning bug has bitten me also so I dusted off my grandfather's old craftsman lathe spent a few bucks on a chuck and some chisels and here are the results. Let me know what you think. These are my 4th,8th and 9th bowls.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Fantastic Bowls Sparky! All of these are top notch! Fantastic form, finish and wood choice. What are the approx. sizes of the various bowls, and what was your finish method? They are beautiful, and pleasing to the eye as well. Thanks so much for sharing your fine work with us............I look forward to seeing some more turnings from Grandpa's Lathe! ;)

Tom Sweeney
09-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Very classy looking - all 4 of them are excellant. As Kevin said all the way around - form finish & the wood itself. Well Done Sparky!

Sparky Paessler
09-12-2003, 11:45 PM
What are the approx. sizes of the various bowls, and what was your finish method? ;)
Kevin

Thanks for the kind words. I have been having a great time messing with the lathe. Of course I want a larger one now. All of the bowls are 5 to 7 inches in diameter. My lathe is only a 9" swing so it limits the size. As far as finish I used lindseed oil thined with paint thinner for the first 3 coats and then wiped on some spar varnish with wax over that on some of the bowls. The ones with walnut on the rim I just put 2 coats of lindseed oil on them on the lathe really working it in and building up a good coat. I then waxed them with Minwax wax. I want to try some segmented bowls next!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the information Sparky..............the finishing technique you are using is working........they look marvy! Segmented bowls are the coolest...........I hope to get some glued up this weekend, if I can find the time.

John Miliunas
09-13-2003, 12:48 AM
spent a few bucks on a chuck and some chisels and here are the results.

Money well spent, Sparky! I've had the darnest luck with bowls as of late. The suckers keep blowing up on me (turning green Silver Maple). I'm envious! Great form and finish on all of them. I'd love to see what you could do with a bigger spinny thing! Keep up the fantastic work. :cool:

Lloyd Robins
09-13-2003, 2:14 AM
I don't think that I have any room for a lathe, but after looking at your work and the others posted recently, I am trying to decide how to fit one in. Hmmm, if I move one of the boys to a tent...... No, I better not. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 8:07 AM
Lloyd..............if you move one of your Boys to a tent...........make sure you get a 2 person tent. I have a feeling you will be right behind him! :D

Jim Becker
09-13-2003, 10:30 AM
"A natural"! Great job, Sparky!!

Dave Brandt
09-13-2003, 7:27 PM
I gotta say, all you guys making these round things have really got me thinking about jumping on the bandwagon. Beautiful bowls! Now if I can just talk SWMBO into a small tool purchase....

Bob Oswin
09-13-2003, 8:10 PM
Well the turning bug has bitten me also so I dusted off my grandfather's old craftsman lathe spent a few bucks on a chuck and some chisels and here are the results. Let me know what you think. These are my 4th,8th and 9th bowls.

Gentlemen: ( both Sparky and Kevin)
Has anybody checked to see what these fellows are using for their turning?.
It gives rise to the old saying: "Are you as good as your tools?"

Hats off!
You are defintely as good,and obviously going to be better!

bob

Sparky Paessler
09-13-2003, 9:34 PM
Thanks All for the kind comments! Here is a picture of the lathe that I am using for these bowls. I have bought a new bowl chisel and a couple of scrapers and of course a faceplate(4") and a chuck (Nova). The rest of the tools are about the same age as the lathe (early 50's). Of course being a true woodworker I want a larger lathe already! Oh I also picked up the Woodcraft slow speed grinder which is great. I now just need to build some grinding jigs.