PDA

View Full Version : Wilkes and cust service

Al Willits
06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Thought I'd run out of questions for a bit, but back with one more..

Any of you had any exprience dealing with Wilkes on items that needed repair or replacement, swmbo brought up a good point, if I order the York Jointer from them, and say the beds are warped, would they cover shipping to get it back to them and sending a replacement back to me?

I'm not to worried about minor items, but to ship the whole jointer back would get very costly.
tia

Al

Perry Holbrook
06-17-2006, 7:11 AM
I'm a fan of Wilke. I've got their drill press, planer, and edge sander. I've had 2 minor issues and they have been handled promptly. I would suggest calling them and asking them your concerns.

As it happens, I called them this week. I was looking for an attachment for the edge sander (which as it turns out doesn't exist) and asked if I could talk to the boss. I wound up speaking with Mr. Wilke at length about that and a possible future purchase.

Anyway, I have always been very satisfied with their customer service.

Perry

Brian Hale
06-17-2006, 7:25 AM
Al, which jointer are you looking to purchase?

One of the great things about dealing with Wilke Machine is that they uncrate, inspect and test run most of the machines they ship. The exception is some of the smaller machines like the 6" jointer where they simply inspect them but that's enough to assure you you're getting a machine within specs and much more than any other company does.

I suggest you call and ask them what their policy is to cover such events.

Brian :)

tod evans
06-17-2006, 8:36 AM
al, although i`ve yet to purchase anything from wilke i have spoke to mr. wilke on several occasions via phone and my impression is that they`re a straight up ma-n-pa type of company. if i ever am in the market for any goods they offer i won`t think twice about cutting them a check..02 tod

John Miliunas
06-17-2006, 9:02 AM
Al, I'll echo what Brian said about giving them a call to see where they stand on such a scenario. I've purchased numerous items from Wilke and have been pleased as punch with their "after sale" customer service, though admitedly, I've never had to do such an exchange. In other words, everything has been quite satisfactory! :) :cool:

Brian Hale
06-17-2006, 9:10 AM
We should start a Friends Of Wilke club!! The membership seems to grow everyday :cool:

BTW Al, I own 7 Bridgewood machines. I had the motor on my MS 10 mortiser go bad and they replaced it no questions asked. In fact Curt (Mr Wilke) at my suggestion, walked me thru the steps to troubleshoot the motor in case it was a simple repair. Seems the motor would get real hot after about 20 minutes of drilling 3/4" mortises in Ipe. Not something they would see during inspection. Bottom line, things do go wrong from time to time but these folks will work with you to make you happy.

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 9:15 AM
Brian, I am looking at the 8" York jointer and maybe a plainer.

I thought of calling, but I'd like to have some actual customer thoughts, companies can say whatever they want and not always deliver.

I had the feeling from past posts that they were ok to deal with, and if they are fair in their dealings, that's all ya can ask.

I will call them, but sounds like I'll have my check book out when I do...:)

I almost have the shebeast convinced I need a 15" plainer over the Dewalt 13" because it'll last sooooo much longer that I may be ordering a plainer from them too... YAAAAAAY :D

Al who thinks she may not run my life, but life is soooo much easier when she's happy...:D :D :D

John Miliunas
06-17-2006, 9:21 AM
We should start a Friends Of Wilke club!! The membership seems to grow everyday :cool:

Count me "IN", Brian!!! :D I hereby nominate you as the club President. Now, the questions are: How much will the dues be and how soon can I expect my secret Wilke decoder ring??? :confused: :D :cool:

Brian Hale
06-17-2006, 9:22 AM
I've got the Bridgewood planer and it's a workhorse.

I see that they've changed the fence adjustment setup on the Yorkcraft jointers so you don't have to deal with the long bar sticking out the back. That'll save you a bunch of space. You may want to mention that to them just in case they still have some old stock left.

Let us know what happens when you call them.

Brian Hale
06-17-2006, 9:25 AM
Count me "IN", Brian!!! :D I hereby nominate you as the club President. Now, the questions are: How much will the dues be and how soon can I expect my secret Wilke decoder ring??? :confused: :D :cool:

Cool :cool: I'd glad to collect the dues :rolleyes: Hmmmmm lets see; the price of the spindle sander divided by the number of members.............. :p

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 9:33 AM
""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""

Will do, with the wife just advising me to get it all and be done with it, I'll be calling soon.
She did then say, well...not ALL..but the big stuff.

Them gals catch them little mistakes quick, don't they... :)

Once again, thanks all.
I really appreciate the patience you all have had in answering all my questions.

Al

tod evans
06-17-2006, 9:35 AM
""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""

Will do, with the wife just advising me to get it all and be done with it, I'll be calling soon.
She did then say, well...not ALL..but the big stuff.

Them gals catch them little mistakes quick, don't they... :)

Once again, thanks all.
I really appreciate the patience you all have had in answering all my questions.

Al

al, big stuff? wilke carries moulders:)

[edit] http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=11505502521547473&id1=10&--woSECTIONSdatarq=10&--SECTIONSword=ww&--eqskudatarq=26032

Brian Hale
06-17-2006, 9:36 AM
Hmmm.... all the Big stuff???? Well then, you might as well order the BW10LTS while your at it, a top notch tablesaw!

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 9:57 AM
ER......I see we have different idea's on what "big stuff" is...:)

I was kinda leaning towards big as in expensive....to me anyway.

Remember I'm new at this, ok, lets rephrase this, by big stuff I/she means the big stuff that I need, 8" jointer, 15" plainer, band saw riser and fence, blades for both the miter saw and TS, clamps, clamps, and more clamps, stains, varnishes, etc, hand saws, hand tools, band aides, DC system and god knows what else I'll need to equipt a basic shop/garage with..
Oh...then there's the wood I need to play with all this stuff.

I have a Delta Hybrid 10" TS and after looking at what you guys have, it ain't quite as big as I thought it was...

Al remember, big is relative.....least that's what I tell the wife.

Russ Massery
06-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Al,
I recently purchased a Yorkcraft 15" planer from them. I was very impressed by there shipping. It came 2 days, The crate didn't have a speck of damage on it. Most of the Grizzly stuff I've ordered in the past did. Infact they had to replace some parts on my table saw. I can't answer your question directly, But I can say that dealing with them was top notch. They emailed when the unit became available. Instead of having to place an order first.I also was was very happy with the setup,fit and finish of the unit. Hope this helps with your decision.

Ken Garlock
06-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Hmmm.... all the Big stuff???? Well then, you might as well order the BW10LTS while your at it, a top notch tablesaw!

I'll drink to that.;) I am quite happy with mine.:cool:

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 7:23 PM
Thanks, all.
Sounds like a done deal.

Al

John Stevens
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Sounds like a done deal.

If you haven't ordered yet, here's something to consider:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=292016&postcount=25

If you'd be satisfied with that compromise-solution, then go for it. Wilke's manual expressly states that their warranty does not include the cost of shipping back the defective product. Perhaps they'll negotiate that term with a customer in order to make a sale, but I didn't think to try that before I bought my jointer.

john whittaker
06-19-2006, 1:16 PM
Al...FWIW I bought the 8" Yorkcraft and it's been a great jointer. I had a "slight" problem with the fence and Wilke did a superb job of satisfying my concerns. Sent a new fence right away.

When I was new to Sawmill Creek, and posted that I was not happy with the fit & finish of the fence....that was a mistake because I posted my concerns BEFORE I contacted Wilke. I was not, at that time, knowledgeable of the power of SMC and the ramifications of posting a "problem"....Well, I own Wilke an apology as they should have been given a chance to fix my problem before I posted.

As I have purchased tools for this addicting hobby I have had very good customer service from almost all the vendors I've delt with. For the most part...good business ethics.

As a frequent reader of SMC I have observed many satisfied customers regarding the service at Wilke. For the record.... I would buy from them again.

Al Willits
06-19-2006, 4:31 PM
I just talked to Steve at Wilkes this morning, he advised me Wilkes will pay for shipping uner the 30 day warrt, and yes they inspect their product before it goes out.
Least wises that's the impression I was left with.

He also said they would "work" with me if any problems occured other than the warped tables that I am most concered about.
And for some reason if it needed to be shipped back, to let them deal with the shipping company, as they get a better rate than I would.

This left me feeling very comfortable about dealing with Wilkes and I will be ordered a new jointer next week, or sooner...:D

Another nice note, I have asked about the updated cutters and he said for what I was doing to just go with the stock ones, as they work quite nicely too.
Always nice to see someone NOT trying to sell you something, especially if you'll probably not need it.

I have settled on the York Jointer and the Dewalt planer, both I believe will do almost anything I will need.

Got to thank you all again, with your help I am a happy camper....er......wood worker...:D

Al who's gonna go down to the end of the driveway....and wait.

Brian Hale
06-19-2006, 4:38 PM
Congrats!!!

Ain't it C :cool: :cool: L getting stuff for the shop!

Steve Roxberg
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Can anyone get the Wilke Website up, I get an error when trying to access it?

Al Willits
06-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Same here....my luck they just went out of business.......just kidding :D

Al