PDA

View Full Version : What Left This Trail?

Vaughn McMillan
06-16-2006, 11:23 PM
A few nights ago, I let the dogs out for their bathroom break about 2:00 AM, and saw this on the sidewalk outside our mudroom door. (This is a long exposure, no flash, but using the backyard floodlight for lighting):

Actually, when I first saw it, the sine wave pattern was more visible...by the time I got the camera and tripod set up, it was starting to evaporate.

So...my question: Any idea what kind of critter might leave a trail like this? The lawn was damp with dew, but there's been no precipitation here for quite a while. My first thought was that it was some type of snake track, after having moved through wet grass, but I don't think the local snakes are very active at 2:00 in the morning. We also have raccoons and opossums, but I can't imagine one of them marking territory in this manner. (Plus, the dogs would have stopped in their tracks as soon as they smelled it. As it was, the dogs didn't even notice the trail.) We have snails and slugs around, but as fast as this was evaporating that night, I can't picture a snail leaving a trail this long and having it still be visible.

Any ideas?

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Most snakes are nocturnal. They feed at night!

Bruce Page
06-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Vaughn, I think you just missed a wet snake!
Nice photography!

Glad that my lab sleeps the night through...

Vaughn McMillan
06-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Most snakes are nocturnal. They feed at night!
Wow, I didn't realize that. I'm admittedly not a snake person, so I can plead ignorance. Thanks for the edumacation. ;)

- Vaughn

Rob Bourgeois
06-17-2006, 12:44 AM
put claw prints on both sides and its a classic alligator trail...:p

More likey a big snake(escape/freed boa)..missing any cats the area?

I think its time for a motion activated camera using your nieghbors cat as bait..;) :D

Frank Chaffee
06-17-2006, 1:03 AM
Vaughn,
Obviously the trail left by a very slunk drug.
Frank

Mark Rios
06-17-2006, 1:20 AM
Definately a snake.

Quick!!! Go catch it!!!

:D :D :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-17-2006, 2:29 AM
One tractor wheel........... :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Frank Fusco
06-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Samuri snake.

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2006, 6:31 PM
Snake Imho Eeekkkk

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 8:12 PM
Yep, that's a snake alright. Notice where it scraped more water off as it slithered across the expansion joint.

Ernie

Mark Rios
06-17-2006, 8:56 PM
Yep, that's a snake alright. Notice where it scraped more water off as it slithered across the expansion joint.

Ernie

Ummm....Ernie.....That wasn't extra water. I think the snake went pee pee. :D :D :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
If that was in sand, I'd go for a "sidewinder" (Type of rattlesnake). Are they previlant in CA?

Bruce

Mike Cutler
06-18-2006, 12:02 AM
If that was in sand, I'd go for a "sidewinder" (Type of rattlesnake). Are they previlant in CA?

Bruce

Oh Yeah!! They're in So. Cal. It was the first thought that came to my mind also.
I grew up in LA, and saw more than a few in my youth. If the thought of a rattler is too creepy for ya' Vaughn. It could also be a California King Snake, but those essssses are pretty pronounced.