PDA

View Full Version : Festool “Frolic”!

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 10:36 PM
What could be better than spending a few hours on a Friday afternoon being entertained by a few awesome power tools? (I'm sure the Neanders are laughing at that one... :rolleyes: )

Well, Mr. Marino...Bob to his friends, family and customers...stopped by today with an SUV full of Festool hardware to demonstrate and play with. After a nice lunch at my favorite local establishment, we got down to business and made a little sawdust. Not that there was any evidence of said sawdust due to the extraordinary dust collection capability of these tools. I have to say that I was really impressed with these products and I'll try to summarize why. And then there are pictures to look at.

Bob brought with him all three ROS, the D-handle jigsaw (complimentary to the barrel grip model I just bought), the vac, the circular saw, the router, the drill and the planer as well as a very intereresting portable multi-function table setup. I got to try them all over a couple of hours...sure can't do that in a store! Interestingly enough, all the tools are variable speed.

Here are some brief thoughts:

1) Sanders. Awesome. Very powerful, hefty, yet manuverable, minimal vibration and great dust collection. Agressive when you need them to be yet can handle the delicate work, too. The big one was really impressive when we took a piece of rough lumber and made it smooth as a baby's...well, you know what...even with skipping some grits.

2) Jigsaw. Great cut, even in thick material without even properly adjusting the special blade guides. I'm looking forward to using my own!

3) Circular saw. Amazing product. Who woulda thunk that a circular saw could cut as clean as a table saw with virtually zero sawdust flying about. The plunge capablity is great and it's the only circular saw I've ever seen with a riving knife (splitter) to help eliminate pinching. 'Never saw a variable speed circular saw, either. The guide system is perfect for both cross cuts and rips and works smoothly with very little effort. In addition to the sanders, I'd actually consider this tool for my own use when and if my circa 1979 B&D workhorse circular saw ever dies...or if I were to start using a lot of sheet goods or "inside work" with such a tool.

4) Drill/driver. Some people would see the price of this tool and walk away without even looking at it further. Big mistake, especially if you are doing a lot of installation work with diverse requirements. The multiple interchangable heads that provide "normal", offset and angle drilling/driving make this tool the equivalent of two or three drill/drivers. Considering that a pro-quality cordless 1/2" drill driver sells for $200 or more...this is a pretty good deal if you need the flexibility and only want to carry one tool.

5) Router. Although this tool is different from most of the routers we use, it's well designed for its intended purposes. It, too, works with the excellent guide system for dados, rabbits and even jointing long boards a la Joint-A-Bility. It's not a heavy duty tool and only accomodates 8mm and 1/4" shanks...not a problem if you think about it. This would be a great tool when combined with the multi-function table for a dedicated dado station in a small pro shop, IMHO. Dust collection was not as effective as with the other tools, but that's kinda to be expected.

6) Planer. Although this is not a tool I would use, for the contractor, it's a very well-built and engineered tool. Three passes at .8 mm put a nice smooth and straight edge on the same chunk of rough 12/4 stock I tried the sander out on earlier. It was also comfortable to use with good balance and the ablity to point the large dust collection bag to either side, depending on the direction of the pass.

7) Vac. Nice tool. Not quite as quiet as the Fein, but still less noisy than the tools hooked up to it. The shape is also easy to find a spot for in the shop as compared to something taller and round.

8) Multi-function table system. This makes the saw and router shine for precision work, especially when portability is necessary. Yea, you could build one easily, but if that's not your thing...this is a nice tool that really facilitates a lot of flexiblity in clamping.

On to the pictures...

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 10:39 PM
1) The entertainer...Bob Marino. For those of you who haven't met him...here's a mug-shot. (Also his avitar now)

2) Some sander 'splaination

3) Bob unloading the gear in the Saws 'N Dust shop

4) Setting up for the circular saw

5) Acutally cutting with the circular saw

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 10:43 PM
1) First scroll cut with the jigsaw...perfectly straight sides

2) Second scroll cut with the jigaw...proved it wasn't a fluke that the sides were straight! (And the guides were not adjusted as closely as they could have been)

3) Bob (right) and I (left) after all the fun

Lloyd Robins
09-12-2003, 10:52 PM
It's nice to see Bob. I have emailed him enough. Aren't the Festool tools great! (Not a question) Which dust collector did he bring? Enjoy your jigsaw. Thanks for the posting.

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Which dust collector did he bring?

I unfortuantely didn't take note of the specific model, but it was black with green highlights... :D What was really impressive was that it had a real 20a plug on the end of the very long cord. (With a pigtail so that folks with 15a type outlets could still plug it in)

Jim Harsha
09-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks Jim. It's nice to put a face to the voice on the phone. Bob has been very instrumental in getting me "hooked" on Festool.

Dave Arbuckle
09-12-2003, 11:57 PM
3) Circular saw...Never saw a variable speed circular saw, either.

I engaged in a long series of e-mails with Christian Oltzscher, President of Festool USA. One of the topics of discussion was, just what speeds are recommended for what use? Interesting, the answer is for wood, use the highest speed always. The other speeds are useful for cutting products like drywall and aluminum. I can't bring myself to cut such stuff with my beautiful ATF 55 E.

Bob and Christian are both incredible gentlemen. It speaks very well of Festool that such men ally themselves with the Company. :)

Dave
p.s. The ATF 55 E is every bit as sweet a machine as it seems.

John Miliunas
09-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Just like others have said, it's great to put a face with the name and Lord knows I've used his name enough! Both, in emails back and forth, as well as posts here at SMC. I'm really quite jealous that you got to play with all those neat toys....errrrrrrr.....tools. Yeah. Tools. That's what I meant to say.... Anyhow, it's like I told Bob some time ago: He's got himself one gravy job! I mean really, how hard can it be to sell such a super product?! :D And isn't that jigsaw just about the wildest thing you've ever seen? I know I could hardly believe the square cuts with it until I tried it several times in 8/4 Hard Maple! Impressive, to say the least. Hey, just thought of something: I might have a bit more room now in my upcoming shop for another Festool or two! :D :cool:

Mark Hulette
09-13-2003, 4:00 AM
Jim- Nice "article"!

It must be tough to have to try all those tools but somebody's got to, right? :cool:

As others have said, it's nice to put a face with the name. Nice headshot!

Also noticed Bob's "Festool" shirt. Did he "comp" you one? :D Hey maybe that would be a good "FreeStuff" drawing item! Oh Keith....

Keith Outten
09-13-2003, 6:15 AM
Jim- Nice "article"!

It must be tough to have to try all those tools but somebody's got to, right? :cool:

As others have said, it's nice to put a face with the name. Nice headshot!

Also noticed Bob's "Festool" shirt. Did he "comp" you one? :D Hey maybe that would be a good "FreeStuff" drawing item! Oh Keith....

Mark,

Sorry but I haven't been able to get any Festool T-Shirts yet but Festool has donated over $440.00 worth of goodies for the next FreeStuff drawing which I will post today. You guys and gals are gonna love this one :)

Christian Aufreiter
09-13-2003, 6:50 AM
Hi Jim,

thanks for the excellent report and the great pics!
I really envy you the afternoon with Bob.

Regards,

Christian

Jim Becker
09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi Jim,

thanks for the excellent report and the great pics!
I really envy you the afternoon with Bob.

Regards,

Christian

Bob spoke highly of you, too, Christian...as well as Dave (Arbuckle). hee hee

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Well now Mr. Becker...!!! <b>Excellent write up and review!!!!</b>

I can STILL honestly say......you really can't go wrong with Festool!!!!

I ain't no sells rep....just a very satisfied customer. I too appreciate Bob Marino and all the phone calls and e-mails and such that we spent before during and after the purchases. Thanks Jim for posting those pics and I sure am JEALOUS that you live close enough to Bob to experience a visit like that AND to experience all the tool line. I am happy for you and excited about your initial review of the tool line. Thank you for sharing the pics and info.

Christian Aufreiter
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Bob, and thanks for having mentioned it, Jim.

I hope to meet some of you guys at a show in the USA one day :)

Christian

Jim Becker
09-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Bob, and thanks for having mentioned it, Jim.

I hope to meet some of you guys at a show in the USA one day :)

Christian

Why don't you host an SMC picnic? Just be sure to time it with the low air fares and leave enough time to import some Bud Light for Ken. The rest of us will certainly enjoy more locally produced refreshements...hee hee

Christian Aufreiter
09-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Why don't you host an SMC picnic? Just be sure to time it with the low air fares and leave enough time to import some Bud Light for Ken. The rest of us will certainly enjoy more locally produced refreshements...hee hee

Not a bad idea but who's got time and money for such a trip?
No problem for Ken, we have some excellent mineral water in Austria :D

Christian

John Miliunas
09-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Not a bad idea but who's got time and money for such a trip?
No problem for Ken, we have some excellent mineral water in Austria :D

Christian

Completely agree on the "...who's got the time & $$$...", Christian. As for the mineral water, this may just be a WAG, but me thinks that would be just a touch *TOO* "Lite" for Ken! :D :cool:

Christian Aufreiter
09-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Completely agree on the "...who's got the time & $$$...", Christian. As for the mineral water, this may just be a WAG, but me thinks that would be just a touch *TOO* "Lite" for Ken! :D :cool:

If you think so ... Ken might like a glass of goat milk ;)
But if you prefer to drink something less lite, how about some "Most"?
(I think it's called cider)

Oh, and that's me:

Bob Marino
09-13-2003, 10:40 PM
It's nice to see Bob. I have emailed him enough. Aren't the Festool tools great! (Not a question) Which dust collector did he bring? Enjoy your jigsaw. Thanks for the posting.

Llyod,

The vac was the CT 22.
The cabinets Jim built for his kitchen are even more impressive in person.

Bob

Dave Arbuckle
09-14-2003, 12:13 AM

Just goes to show you, Jim, can't even trust Bob 100%... :D

Dave