PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
06-16-2006, 5:39 PM
Friday June 16th, 2006

Well, it's that time of the week again. It's quittin time, or soon will be for most of you. The end to another fun work week.

We're supposed to be HOT & HUMID, but I am going to start cleaning out the garage/workshop tomorrow in preparation for an invasion next weekend. Also, it would be nice to get back to making some sawdust.

So what's on the agenda for your weekend?

As always, whatever it is, make it safe.

Karl

Larry Cooke
06-16-2006, 6:06 PM
I have to work the whole weekend. Big project so no play time for me I'm afraid...

Larry

Don Baer
06-16-2006, 6:13 PM
Packing and cleaning up gettng ready for the big move.

Matt Meiser
06-16-2006, 6:13 PM
Going to finally run a 220 circuit for my TS and jointer. Probably some work on rehabbing my utility trailer. Mostly family stuff though. LOML's family reunion tomorrow and a get together at our house Sunday.

Dennis Peacock
06-16-2006, 6:15 PM
Howdy Karl,

Still working on the computer desk and I hope to make some real good progress on it this weekend. Seems like this project is quickly becoming my project for life. :rolleyes: Oh well....all good things take time.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-16-2006, 6:26 PM
We are taking MIL out for breakfast tomorrow. Then going to my dad's to take them out for lunch and do lawn work. Hope to get home in time to mow here. Sunday is church, cookout and NASCAR.:D

Vaughn McMillan
06-16-2006, 6:43 PM
I'll be trying to finish up a box that was commissioned a while back. (I'm on the third go-round of attempting to get an acceptable finish on it.) Also will be working on a viking bed for my new BIL. Should be working on it "with" the BIL instead of "for", but since he's tool-challenged, I'll be doing anything more critical than sanding.

Aside from that, I'll be trying to keep from frying in the heat. (The outside temp per my car a few minutes ago was 106° F.) Even if it's off by a few degress, that's too doggone hot.

- Vaughn

Jim Hager
06-16-2006, 7:09 PM
I haven't been posting in a while or at least not very much. Maybe I can catch up now.

I have a reception counter going for the school's superintendant's office. Loads of drawers, pullouts and upper cabinets. I'll try to post some pics later. I also have a set of paint grade doors to get out this weekend and oh yeah, I've also got a small order of 9 flat panel oak doors to do too.

Karl, I guess I ain't got much going:rolleyes: At least not much resting.

Michael Pfau
06-16-2006, 7:32 PM
Karl, Putting the last coat on my 15 chest of drawers. I have been working on this for 6 months! Alot of distractions, hard to get back in the shop over that time! But it has come out very nice, I will post pics on here tomorrow for all of you to see.

Jim Becker
06-16-2006, 9:11 PM
Meeting with the architect on Saturday morning to review the elevations for our home addition project (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) and get the first preliminary cost estimate...needless to say, I plan on being seated. ;) Later, taking "the older" somewhere on Saturday afternoon to keep her away from "the younger" who is having a friend over to play...probably a museum or something. Sunday, mow the lawn, do laundry, get more paint on the back blade, deal with swimming lessons and any last minute preparations for summer camp that starts on Monday. Kids are out of school now... (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com/2006/06/milestone-of-pleasant-kind.html)

Ned Bulken
06-16-2006, 9:21 PM
I'm going to put up the rain fly (just in case) and do some Scrolling! I have a sign to make for my hair stylist's place. so I'm going to sroll her logo and put it on some plywood. she's going to paint it, I just have to install it for her. I get free haircuts for awhile, she gets good advertising. Fair trade I think....

Bob Reeve
06-16-2006, 9:30 PM
I am off early in the morning to attend a class at The Woodworking Academy in Alameda CA. A whole weekend of nothing but playing in the shop.

Fred Voorhees
06-16-2006, 9:44 PM
I hope to be so busy this weekend that I plan on passing on the dirt track stuff tomorrow (Sat) night. Let me tell you, that is big.

I sat in my truck this morning before going in to start work and made out a list of things I hoped to accomplish. Here are some of them. Wash truck (it has been dirty for a week since last weeks dirt track action - begin to apply finish to the bar room shutters (done both of them today after work) - for tomorrow (Sat) shovel in a pickup truck load of mulch after dropping off my weekly garbage - go home and begin to dig up an area where still another hosta bed will be located - head to Home Depot to pick up some soil amendments for same bed - come home and finish prepping that bed - dig up overly developed hostas in another bed and propagate them down to smaller plants and plant a number of them in the new bed, and return some to their former bed - redo the former bed to make it look nice again - propagate/divide more hostas for a gentleman who works with my wife who would like some and will trade some perennial flowers this fall for same - propperly wrap the new cuttings and box them for wife to bring to this guy on Monday - plant still more hostas in another location along a side of my garage where a roof gutter drain system pipe is exposed and where the hostas will help to hide this pipe - if time permits, I want to also build still another hosta bed around a tree base inside our wrap around driveway - clean out my boat and load it up in preparation for a Sunday morning bass fishing float down the Delaware River with a fishing buddy and a fellow worker who had expressed an interest in joining us a few weeks ago. It'll be a 4AM wake-up call Sunday morn - yikes - but well worth it as the bass fishing is very therapeutic!!

Sunday afternoon will be spent in the air conditioned bar room with the usual gang of suspects watching the Michigan NASCAR Nextel event.

Jim O'Dell
06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Left work a bit early today to try a pump my dad had looked through to see if it will work for the sprinkler system. No plug in the drain hole, no threads either. :confused: :confused: Hopefully I can find one of the rubber plugs that has the screw in it so it expands when you tighten the screw and try the pump tomorrow. Have to work from 8:00 'til 1:00, so will try it after lunch.
Hope to get into the shop Sunday am while it is cool and work on building the "tunnel" for the cyclone ducting. After Bill Pentz mentioned he didn't think PVC in the attic would be a good idea if a spark started a problem, I decided to build a tunnel over the duct work so it would be visible from below to keep an eye on things. First attempt using valley flashing didn't work too well. Going for a plywood "tunnel" now. Will see if that is any better. The first idea didn't allow any way for hanging the pipe. This route should rectify that. If not, I'll work on plan C, what ever that might be. :rolleyes: Jim.

John Miliunas
06-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Worked tonight. Hopefully, weather will cooperate enough for me to get the grass cut sometime this weekend. My best bud is bringing his big RV over, so I can get exact measurements and do dry fitting for a bench he asked me to build for the rear of the unit. May try to fit in some shop cleaning in between, as I have some very special guests coming out next weekend! (Don't want them to think I'm a "complete" slob!!!:rolleyes: :o ) Hope everyone has a super weekend! :) :cool:

Matt Meiser
06-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Sunday afternoon will be spent in the air conditioned bar room with the usual gang of suspects watching the Michigan NASCAR Nextel event.

Oh yeah I forgot one thing--wait in traffic on the way to LOML's family reunion. we have to drive on the road that 1/2 of the gates for the track are on to get there. :eek:

Jerry Olexa
06-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Tommorow AM, haul up completed night stand and assemble upstairs. LOML has been waiting patiently. Pics will follow . Later, haul new router table to basement and start assembly. Trim trees outside, clean lawn furniture and yardwork. My youngest daughter has Father's day planned at her place Sunday for us 4 fathers (2 sils, my son and the old guy). Its hot and humid. 90+ today. Our grandaughter (7 months old)staying overnight with us tonight to give her parents a break. Life is good but too much maintenance @ this house.:D :)

Tyler Howell
06-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Three day weekend.
Cleaned the shop,
A little yard work.
Sailing tomorrow.
Daughters are taking me out on Sunday.
Maybe a little Creeker visit.
Have a safe one.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2006, 12:43 AM
I had planned on making a "turning" run to Woodcraft in Spokane tomorrow but..........My MIL will be here Monday. I've got a bunch of construction "junk" that needs to be hauled to the dump. SO........I'll probably just make an online order and spend the day cleaning up around the shop. Sunday...........don't know.

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 9:26 AM
Nothing quite to exciting, well maybe except the meet with Tyler and Rich for the first time on Sunday.

Was gonna go get some plywood at Youngbloods and cherry at woodcraft, but with the weather looking gloomy, might pass.

We (wife) has decided to eliminate me spending all my time on this computer looking for deals, that I should just take a little out of the 401 and get what I need...most of what I need anyway, so I'll be looking at planers and stuff.

Hope ya all have a pleasant weekend, be safe and well.

Al

John Miliunas
06-17-2006, 10:15 AM
We (wife) has decided to eliminate me spending all my time on this computer looking for deals, that I should just take a little out of the 401 and get what I need...most of what I need anyway, so I'll be looking at planers and stuff.

Al

Hey Al, as long as you're looking at "planers and stuff", don't forget to check out a spinny thing!!! :D Everyone knows that a complete Creeker has a spinny thing!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Al Willits
06-17-2006, 8:52 PM
Hey Al, as long as you're looking at "planers and stuff", don't forget to check out a spinny thing!!! :D Everyone knows that a complete Creeker has a spinny thing!!! :D :D :D :cool:

I'm assuming you mean a spinny lathe thingie...:D

I have a small hobby lathe that's about 40 years old, but its a metal lathe...does that count?

Al who thinks the shebeast will only go so far and spinny things might just be a bit much...for now