PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a #3 ?

chris del
06-16-2006, 1:16 PM
Chris here from Toronto Canada.
I will start off by saying that I really enjoy the flow here compared to some of the other forum's I have been a member of!

I currently have the following planes in my user inventory:
Lie Nielsen #4, #4 1/2 with HAF, #62 LA jack , Lee-Valley LA block, LA smoother, jack and jointer.

Id like to hear from people that are a big fan of their #3. Where do you find it excells? Is it necessary?

I want to order the LN #3 Bronze.....just trying to figure out if I need one......

Dennis McDonaugh
06-16-2006, 1:20 PM
I use a 3 more than any other plane. Its the perfect size for working on parts like table aprons, rails and stiles, drawer fronts etc. The 4 or 4 1/2 is great for table tops, but I rarely smooth something that large.

Teresa Jones
06-16-2006, 1:23 PM
I use a #3 quiet often. My hands are significantly smaller than most woodworker's hands though. However, I also use a #4, #4 1/2, block planes, and even the little bitty 101's.

If your decision has to based on need, well then.....

You need to test drive one before you buy to see how it fits your hand.

TJ

chris del
06-16-2006, 1:38 PM
I should have said that I do own a old Bailey type 11 # 3c...... It is not a user for me, but it does feel good in my hand. I like the size of it, but cant see where it would work and my # 4 wouldnt....

Mike Henderson
06-16-2006, 1:41 PM
I use a #3 quite often. The one I have is a Vaughan & Bushnell 903 which is the same length (9') as my Bailey #4 but not as wide. For many applications I don't find the extra weight or width of the #4 gives any advantage. But I always have my #4 or #5 1/2 if I need a bigger plane.

It's funny - I started off with long clamps and big planes and now I find that I use my short clamps and my small planes a lot more.

Mike

Hank Knight
06-16-2006, 2:22 PM
Chris, I use a #3 often for smaller work. I think it's because I like the size and feel, more so than whether it "fits the job better." I can't think of anything I've used a #3 for that a #4 wouldn't have worked just as well. I just like #3s.
As far as I'm concerned, that's a perfectly good reason to order a bronze LN #3. I'm sure you can think up a lot of things you NEED it for once you have it.

chris del
06-16-2006, 2:49 PM
Hank, you are my kinda guy...I like your way of thinking.
Id just hate to spend $300.00 for a new plane that I dont really need as my #4 will do the job fine.....
I will keep trying to sell myself on the #3.

Mike Wenzloff
06-16-2006, 3:58 PM
Hi Chris,

Like the others, I too use my #3--very much for the same tasks Dennis mentions.

One can look at scale of work for a reason, and seeing how you already have a #3 that isn't rare and could put a Hock or a LN blade in it...we're past need <g>.

The LN bronze #3 is nice if for no other reason it is a well made tool and heavier than its iron counterpart and simply looks nice. But need? Nah. Simply because you cannot find a compelling reason and already have a #3.

My feeling is because you already have one, use it--assuming it is usable in itself. I think you'll find it is a good size plane that you will end up reaching for. Then another #3 is an easy step to take.

Take care, Mike

Maurice Metzger
06-16-2006, 7:20 PM
Chris, I have freakishly big hands (I'm not that tall), I found I was always turning the depth adjuster by accident on a Stanley No. 3. Also had the same problem with a Stanley 5 1/4, which is a shame because I like that size plane also.

Maurice

Brian Kent
06-16-2006, 11:38 PM
The smoother I always go for is the Mujingfang 7" smoother. I got it at this link after a discussion on the Mujingfang high angle polish plane (which is on back order):

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=98.105.5050&dept_id=12915

It is made of rosewood, looks and feels great, works well, and is only $27 new.

Brian Kent

Corvin Alstot
06-17-2006, 12:18 AM
I currently have the following planes in my user inventory:
Lie Nielsen #4, #4 1/2 with HAF, #62 LA jack , Lee-Valley LA block, LA smoother, jack and jointer.
I want to order the LN #3 Bronze.....just trying to figure out if I need one...... You do need one . . . but its not critical if you are tight for cash.
They are pretty cool, but not absolutely required. Buy one and enjoy.

Corvin

Hunter Wallace
06-17-2006, 9:01 AM
A few years back I was taking a "Studio Tour" on the mid-coast of
Maine and met a fine woodworker who imparted this bit of wisdom
on me...

"Don't keep buying tools just to have them, spend your
money on the wood...that's what you're selling."

It may seem blasphemous, but everytime I think about making
a purchase of something I WANT versus something I NEED, I hear
those words echo in my head. $300 can buy a fair amount of
interesting/high quality wood.

And for the disclaimer, here's what I've got for hand planes....
LN #4 w/ 3 blades tuned differently
LN #7 w/ 2 blades
LN LA block
LN Rabbet block

I find it easy enough to change out a blade for a particular need, and
often thank myself for not spending/investing $100's or $1,000's in
more tools. Being a woodworker for a living is financially hard enough
without outspending ones income to have some more (agreeably) cool
tools.

Not going for the buzz-kill here, just "Living deliberately", as Thoreau
put it!!!;)

Mark Singer
06-17-2006, 9:29 AM
The number 3 is not an essential tool....a #4 is close in size . I have a ECE Primus Smoother that is small, versitle and quite different and a joy to use and less$$$. It is lighter than most #3's. I have a couple of metal #3's and they don't get much use....

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/24p0401s2.jpg

Roger Bell
06-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I also prefer the #3 (I have two Stanleys and a V&B). I cannot tell you why, the length and width just seems a bit more synergistic when being used. I seldom use my #4's in favor the the #3's. So, in my case, the #4 is not the essential tool.

You might consider borrowing a #3 and actually using it for awhile....or buying a cheaper Stanley....you can always trade it off for about what you paid if you need to. It is really the only way you are going to find out for yourself.

If you really want to satisfy your acquistion thirst, I agree with Mark, consider something really different, such as a Woodie (Ece Primus, Knight, C & W, vintage, etc), or better yet, a fine Scottish infill. You're are just about ready to take that step, arent you?

By the way, I agree entirely with the sentiment of "living deliberately", as Thoreau was a significant influence on my life and it's course. But life is more than simply living simply, it is also about living with joy and having some ice cream from time to time. But it is not the ice cream....it is the the obsession for ice cream........;)

Tony Zaffuto
06-17-2006, 9:10 PM
I have a Clifton #3 that is simply a joy to use. Fits my hand very well, have had for well over a year now, and it is my "go to" for smoothing. The sole was "spot on" and the blade only needed a bit of honing to get her going!

I also have a number of other smoothing planes, including at least 4 #4 Stanleys, 1 LN #4 w/HA frog, a Sweetheart era #3 to name a few (not naming any of the woodies).

John Gornall
06-18-2006, 12:42 AM
#3 Clifton is my most used plane. A little smaller and lighter, it just seems to fit so much of the continuous trimming and finishing at the bench. Even for a chamfer I prefer a handled plane to a block plane. I also keep an old Stanley #3 at the bench for the rough stuff.

philip marcou
06-19-2006, 7:44 AM
It is definitely a nice one to have-well they all are, but its use is mainly dependant upon what sort of work you do. Folk who make small precise items like boxes and small drawers, trays etc favour the neat size.A bronze one is particularly appealing. Personally I don't use mine very much-not demanded by work type and also it is a "new" Stanley , therefore afflicted with certain well known faults....
I might just make a model that size-souped up ofcourse.

Richard Gillespie
06-19-2006, 8:21 AM
Hands are too big. Too uncomfortable to use. #4 is the smallest plane I can use for any length of time.