PDA

View Full Version : Photography question: Old slides.

Bob Weisner
06-16-2006, 1:03 PM
Hi:

This question is for anyone that know photography. I have a bunch (3 or 4 boxes) of old slides that I would like to put on a CD . Is this possible? How do I go about doing it?

Thanks,

Jerry Olexa
06-16-2006, 1:59 PM
Yes and you can DIY. You'll need a scanner (that should be your only investment) that can handle slides. You can edit,crop, improve your slides as u load into your PC. Then its simple to load the file onto a CD or DVD.HTH. G'Luck. Pretty easy but time consuming...

Larry James
06-16-2006, 2:24 PM
As Jerry said -You'll need a scanner ... that can handle slides.

"Handle slides" are the key words - and it is a lot of work, but worth it.

Larry

Joe Pelonio
06-16-2006, 3:01 PM
A very time consuming job. You can send them to a place like

http://www.digmypics.com/google.asp?gclid=CPakvM-6y4UCFQqrSQod6Rmgpw
If you have more money than time, they charge $0.39 each slide to do it.

You might also look for a photo-finishing or camera store, if you can find one. There used to be one near me that did them for $0.10 each to try and compete with the digital world, but they ended up going out of business due to lack of people using film. They had a machine that loaded the slides and scanned them automatically and quickly.

Larry Conely
06-16-2006, 4:01 PM
If you do decide to purchase a scanner, look for one that has batch scanning abilities. I have a plastic template that I can set on the scanner with holes for 20 slides. I fill the loles with slides and scan 20 at one time instead of one at a time.

Larry

Frank Fusco
06-16-2006, 7:38 PM
That batch scan idea sounds nice but check those "old" slides well first. I have many-many slides that have the cardboard mounts coming apart. Those will need repair or remounting before they can be put in a scanner. And any slides that have been in storage will probably need cleaning, individually, before they can be scanned. I would love to save all of mine, many taken in England and France in the 60's. But, as said, a LOT of work. Read reviews of scanners carefully as some tend to make very dark copies, you don't want that. Be prepared to spend some $$$

Jerry Olexa
06-16-2006, 8:45 PM
You can buy a basic scanner w slide adapter for around $200 but be careful. For a dedicated slide scanner they are usually $500+ and many over a $1K. But those old slides are valuable:cool: :)