PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Gloat!

Mike Ramsey
06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I got the chance to buy one new tool last week while on vacation,
A new Henry Taylor/Raffan series heavy scraper....this thing is fantastic!
Also bought an unhandled Henry Taylor 1/2" deep V gouge and made
a handle from a long piece of Cocobola I had laying around for awhile.
It cuts like a dream! Then I got some scrap round stock and made 3 new
tool rests, 1 straight & 2 curved, really needed these.

Dick Parr
06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Congrats Mike, those should help ya out. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Mike congrats on the new tools and tool rests. I need to get down and have my local welder get some made for mine. I really like the ones he made for the little Delta.

Michael Stafford
06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Nice work, Mike. Cocobolo for a tool handle......makes me want to cry....but it sure is pretty.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Mike......nice tools and tool rests!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
NICE!!!

Love that handmade handle!

I've got to make up some tool rests for the DVR, need a bowl rest or two!

Cheers!

Don Orr
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I LOVE that tool handle!!! Beautiful. I'm sure you will enjoy using it for a long time to come. Real nice job on the tool rests as well. I've been thinking about some of those myself but don't have a welder-yet.

Keith Burns
06-16-2006, 1:28 PM
Great tools and rests Mike.:) :) I'm jealous of you guys that can weld too ! The only arc I can strike is when I have a big static build up.............

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-16-2006, 4:38 PM
Great tool gloat, Mike! I echo Keith---I wish I knew how to weld. There are so many things I could use that skill for. I wonder... Is it anything like soldering electrical connections or sweating a pipe joint?

The cocobolo handle is absolutely gorgeous, as well. Hmmm... I wonder... Could a "signature" tool handle series be in the works here? :)

Don Baer
06-16-2006, 4:51 PM
Great tool gloat, Mike! I echo Keith---I wish I knew how to weld. There are so many things I could use that skill for. I wonder... Is it anything like soldering electrical connections or sweating a pipe joint?

Not even close, but not hard to learn. I have a small buzz box that you can pick up at the borg and it does a good job if I use small rod. All it really takes is practice... Practice... practice.

Mike great gloat and maybe I'll make up a few of those rests when I get situated in my new digs. Also might be a good excuse to pick up a wirefeed welder..:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
06-16-2006, 5:01 PM
Nice work all the way around! They all look great.

corey

Mike Ramsey
06-16-2006, 5:23 PM
Thanks folks, I really like (love) that handle myself..I keep bringing it
in the house when I finish in the shop but my wife is getting upset
with me for storing it on her fine china cab...obviously she's
not a turner.. :rolleyes: . I hope I can get some more Coco as cheap as that one to make more (several).
The tool rest are easier to make than most people would think,
just a hot enough torch to heat the bending point to red then
just use a cheater bar to bend them. I used a friends welder
to stick them, didn't take long at all.

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 5:00 PM
Congrats Mike. That is a real nice handle. I've got to get out there and get some tool rests made too. Yours look real nice.

Ernie