PDA

View Full Version : Change of Pace: UGLY TURNING THREAD

Mark Cothren
06-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Okay, a few of us were talkin' tonight and decided we'd see who had turned the ugliest bowl/hf/goblet/etc... so here's your chance to SHOW YOUR STUFF... your UGLY stuff, that is...:D

What's the worst/ugliest turning you have so far?

Here's one or two of mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/new_walnut2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/AppleHF05.jpg

So whaddya got? Come on, show us your ugly!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Obviously Cothren.....You don't know what ugly is!

Mark Cothren
06-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Put up or shut up....;) :D

Gil Jones
06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Nothing missing, just a big crack that opened up overnight.

Travis Stinson
06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Isn't the form on this just wonderful?:o :D

Jim Ketron
06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Think this was my 5th or 6th turning.
And boy is this one ugly.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/vase.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Okay...........previously posted but here it is again....my very first bowl.....Yuck!

Andy Hoyt
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
My favorite!

Raymond Overman
06-16-2006, 12:34 AM
This one's from my dumpy period...

Bad form, thick sides, and lots of tear out on the inside if I remember correctly.

Ken Salisbury
06-16-2006, 1:34 AM
Darn, I sure would like to respond to this thread with a picture of an ugly turning. The problem is I never made an ugly bowl. :) :D :p

Keith Burns
06-16-2006, 8:48 AM
OK, this is ugly !

Tom Stover
06-16-2006, 9:45 AM
Darn, I sure would like to respond to this thread with a picture of an ugly turning. The problem is I never made an ugly bowl. :) :D :p
Ken, you do have your boots on don't you? I know its getting deep there. :) :D

Ken Salisbury
06-16-2006, 9:56 AM
Ken, you do have your boots on don't you? I know its getting deep there. :) :D

It's actually the Bud Light taking effect :) :)

Mike Ramsey
06-16-2006, 9:59 AM
This had nice coloring in it....for some reason I turned it
into a football.....

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 5:44 PM
Travis, it is some beautiful wood, but your flat comment along with the pic almost made coffee go spewing across the keyboard. With Jim's to back it up though... well.... I'm attempting to dry that keyboard out now.

I guess I'll have to dig one out of the pile, but the best of my worst will be worse than your worst.:confused:

Hey, maybe there's a contest here.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Curt Fuller
06-17-2006, 9:14 PM
The Flash Gordon Flying Saucer box with a ring post in the middle that looks like a.....well, you decide what it looks like.

Joe Tonich
06-17-2006, 9:22 PM
The Flash Gordon Flying Saucer box with a ring post in the middle that looks like a.....well, you decide what it looks like.

:eek: lolololol!!!!!!!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 9:29 PM

I think there is something wrong with you Curt. Get some help.

Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
06-18-2006, 3:07 AM
Newbie that I am, I can't compete with some of you masters, but here is my contribution. It's a little keychain/toothpick holder. I guess I didn't realize part of the bushing was supposed to go inside the brass tube. :o Wondered why it was vibrating so much when I sanded it.

- Vaughn

George Conklin
06-18-2006, 11:59 AM

ROFLMAO:D :D :D

Rob Bourgeois
06-18-2006, 12:35 PM

A good title for it mitgh be hermaphrodite Box.

Andy Hoyt
06-18-2006, 1:28 PM
Well, here's one that I'd forgotten about until Curt put up his "thing".

So here's my "thing".

Mark Rios
06-18-2006, 1:39 PM
Well, here's one that I'd forgotten about until Curt put up his "thing".

So here's my "thing".

PLEASE!!!!!

No talking about our "things".

:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-18-2006, 2:14 PM
The title says it ALL. UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Curt Fuller
06-18-2006, 2:52 PM
This pretty well fits into the Ugly turning thread too I guess......

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-18-2006, 2:57 PM
Sorry, Curt...........................That doesn't make it as UGLY....................IT's CUTE!!!

Any kid would LOVE it!

Bruce

Steve Clardy
06-18-2006, 5:41 PM
Gotta do better guys.

Haven't seen any UGLIES in here yet:confused: ;) :D

Lee DeRaud
06-18-2006, 5:51 PM
Gotta do better guys.

Haven't seen any UGLIES in here yet:confused: ;) :D The "Ozzy Bonker" (post #2 in http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32748) ought to qualify.:eek:

Steve Clardy
06-18-2006, 6:22 PM
The "Ozzy Bonker" (post #2 in http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32748) ought to qualify.:eek:

Doing better:D

Tony Sizemore
06-29-2006, 9:53 PM
if this doesn't count for ugly then I don't know hat is. It has 4 pits in it.

John Hart
01-19-2007, 8:35 PM
Better late than never?

Neal Addy
01-19-2007, 11:26 PM
John, yours is the Mona Lisa compared to this. First thing that ever came off my lathe. I remember being somewhat proud of it at the time. It still sits in my shop as a watch holder.

Note the clean beads, elegant foot, and fine finish. At that time I didn't know that Oak wasn't the turner's best friend. :eek:

Ron Raymond
01-20-2007, 2:17 AM
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder...I hope I'll someday turn something as nice as what you folks call "Ugly"!;)

Joash Boyton
01-20-2007, 2:49 AM
Ergh!!!!:eek:

sorry, did'nt move anything, it's the vase in front.....HATE IT!!!:eek: :eek:

Joash Boyton
01-20-2007, 2:50 AM
OK, this is ugly !
Other than the rim being a little big, and the base a little small, I think it's quite nice:)

Bill Boehme
01-20-2007, 3:06 AM
Ergh!!!!:eek:

sorry, did'nt move anything, it's the vase in front.....HATE IT!!!:eek: :eek:

At first, before I read the text, I thought that it might have been a reprise to Curt's and Andy's entries.

Bill

Bob Hallowell
01-20-2007, 8:33 AM
OK, this is ugly !

Ah,
Keith no fair. I don't know how to tell you but that's um how do you say NOT UGLY! if you don't like it I can pm you my address and it can stay here:D

as for my own ugly entree's I have a wood burner sorry there gone!
Bob

Christopher Zona
01-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Apparently you haven't seen some of my stuff. http://web.295.ca/cnklzona (http://web.295.ca/cnklzona/)

John Hart
01-21-2007, 5:49 AM
Apparently you haven't seen some of my stuff. http://web.295.ca/cnklzona

And you gave one away as a Christmas present!!!! That's great!! I wonder how my brother will like my moldy hollowform?:confused: :D

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2007, 11:19 AM
When I came across this thread I had to laugh. I asked my wife what was the ugliest thing I had ‘ever’ turned and without hesitation she described this piece – only to her it is called a tornado thingy.

You know how when you just start out turning and the realization that all the flatwork design restrictions are suddenly off, well, you just go sorta nuts for awhile turning anything & everything.

If this were an actual contest, I do believe I would have a good chance to win….

My entry… :D
55629 55630 55632 55633
Natural Edge Goblet Style Toothpick Holder Thingy
From a ornamental cedar shrub cut down from the front yard, 3 ½” high, 2 ¾” at widest point, base 1 3/8”, no finish, sanded to 320.

As always, your comments and/or suggestions are appreciated! ;)

Thanks for looking!

John Hart
01-21-2007, 3:16 PM
Wonderful form Steve!! You've really captured.....um....something there! The base is present, and there's some hollowing. Bravo!:D

Skip Spaulding
01-21-2007, 6:15 PM
You must have known I was just about done with this! Skip55680 " Dancer In A Bowl"

Rich Stewart
01-21-2007, 6:22 PM
I think Steve just won. Man, that thing is UGLY. Lol. I am, however, going to try to beat it. Here is some of my early turnings. I posted these and everybody told me how great they were. Really brought their credibility into question. Couple pieces of walnut, cedar, and persimmon. Don't kill yourselves laughing.

Jonathon Spafford
01-21-2007, 6:34 PM
I would post my ugly turnings, but I might crash the site with all of the pictures!!!!

Bill Boehme
01-21-2007, 7:09 PM
The form .....

The beauty ....

The humanity ....

This effort may possibly set back the spirit of engaging in collaborative woodturning by several decades. I will not name the other two individuals involved in producing this coup de grace, but we drew lots to see which one of us would get to keep the fruit of our labors and I lost. After this, turners may quite possibly no longer see Bois D'Arc as a beautiful wood.

As any photographer knows, composition is what makes a picture what it is and brings out the .... uh ..... "best" that it has to offer. I think that I have managed to capture the best of what this turning has to offer.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2007, 7:22 PM
Bill ....You and your friends really shouldn't be turning under the influence of Moxie!

Bill Boehme
01-22-2007, 9:55 AM
Bill ....You and your friends really shouldn't be turning under the influence of Moxie!

Sorry, I didn't mean to kill the thread.

I could reveal that one of the other collaborators is also a Creeker (or is ir creekster or creekmeister).

Bill

Gary DeWitt
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
LOL, Bill. You're right, great composition. But couldn't you have shot it in a slum/skid row, maybe some weeds and trash in the background?
I really like the "embellishment" on the foot, too.

Joash Boyton
01-22-2007, 5:23 PM
WOWEEE!!!! some of these are pretty bad!!!:D:D:D

Ron Journeau
01-22-2007, 8:03 PM
I feel so very relieved that I am not the only one to spawn some artforms that just plead to be burnt during a power outage, all in the name of keeping the family warm. After being inundated with the works for Travis, John H, Jim K and so many other talented turners, I have finally found a thread that I would feel comfortable posting in...unfortunately, we had a power outage not too long ago...the thermal bloom from my house almost put NORAD on alert

Bill Boehme
01-23-2007, 1:59 AM
After viewing all of these ... uh ... wonders ... I truly believe that this thread has made a vital contribution of immeasurable magnitude to the entire art world by disproving once and for all time the old adage, "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

Bill

Rusty Smith
01-23-2007, 1:09 PM
Lacking an adequate sized blank produced this ugly continder...:eek:

Paul Engle
01-23-2007, 1:16 PM
I turned an oak perch for the LOML's Cockatoo, he ( the bird ) won't let me near it now to take a pic:mad: . so you will just have to vision it in your head:rolleyes: ... 1 in dia oak by 19 1/2 inches long, no finish ,sanded to 30 grt....boy golly it sure is ugly tho...:eek: , the perch , not the bird.:D

Mark Pruitt
01-23-2007, 2:01 PM
I truly believe that this thread has made a vital contribution of immeasurable magnitude to the entire art world by disproving once and for all time the old adage, "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

Bill
Yeah, sure.....tell that to those flatwork guys who still think all spalted timber is bad....:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2007, 3:25 PM
Hey Mark

Did I win anything yet??

Bill Boehme
01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Did I win anything yet??

You have won my sympathy.

Bill

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Gosh, thanks Bill....

Bill Wyko
01-24-2007, 3:33 PM
I was going to take a pic of my ugliest piece but I'm afraid of what it might do to my camera:eek:
I was turning my favorite piece last night and I made it so thin I could see through it:( Thats the nice thing about segmenting, I can cut off the top and try again.:D I forgot my camera today but I'll put up pics tomorrow.

Dominic Greco
01-24-2007, 9:23 PM
Here is a photo of my first bowl. I think I turned it back in 2001. It's turned from pear and even had a hole from my Talon Chuck's worm wood screw that was plugged in the middle. I look at these photos and CRINGE!

Scott Lux
02-28-2008, 9:29 AM
Rich, I made a nearly identical bowl out of honeylocust. Only my had lots of tool marks and other enhancements.

Roger Wilson
02-28-2008, 1:34 PM
For a look at a pro's ideas on what constitutes a beautiful bowl they might want to take a look at the book "Turned-Bowl Design" by Richard Raffan.

It isn't about the mechanics of turning but about the artistic aspects of bowl form, design and adornment. Very good for those of us who are new to turning.

ISBN-10: 0918804825
ISBN-13: 978-0918804822

Jim Underwood
02-28-2008, 3:21 PM
My first turned box.

Recently my Dad asked me if I wanted my first turned bowl back. I'd given it as a present when I was in jr High School.

I did. But it would qualify for this "contest" too.:) I'm anxious to see it again...

jack richington
02-28-2008, 7:51 PM
Mark..thanks for starting this thread...I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. My eyes watered and my sides split. Luckily for ya'll, I can't compress my photos to fit this forum..I have some amazing parakeet urns, I know you all would vote as the winner...

Ben Gastfriend
02-28-2008, 9:29 PM
Think I posted this a while back.
Don't the chips and cracks add artistic flair?!

Brian Brown
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I am resurecting this thread once again because I think that I am the clear winner in this contest (wasn't the prize a new PM 3520B?:)). I took a class on Greek and Roman art at the university where I teach, hoping to learn more about pottery form to enhance my turning. I don't know if I learned anything about form, but one of the assignments was to make a reproduction of one of the artworks shown in class. The assignment specified that it had to be as accurate as possible in every detail. For obvious reasons, I chose a piece of pottery. This piece was made before the 10th century B.C., (proto-geometric) and as such, was very crude in construction. The handles and painted markings on the vase are not even or symetrical because that was the way the original piece was. This was actually the hardest part about making the vase.

I had no ability or facilities to throw it on a potters wheel, so I asked the Prof. if I could make it out of wood. He laughed at me and said if I thought I had any chance of making it from wood, to go ahead. When I turned it in, he just couldn't believe (like some of the other students) that I actually made this thing from wood, and even carved out the inside. ;) So here is the end result; the ugliest turning ever seen on this forum, even if it is only because it is painted. The vase is made out of Doug. fir. I used an old 2 X 8 cut into about 10 rings. I would never do that again. Nasty stuff to turn. Broke my favorite turning tool on it. :mad: After sanding the outside, I painted it with a textured paint, and hand-turned it on the lathe while dragging a 40 grit gouge through the wet paint, to create a feel of real thrown clay. Happy to have this done and over with, and I think I'll take the ugly thing out and bury it in the yard. In three thousand years some archeologist can dig it up, and wonder what was I smoking. :rolleyes:

Since I am the winner, just put my new Powermatic into UPS. I'll expect it next week. :D

Dewey Torres
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Hands down I vote for Skip! I almost fell out of my chair on that one. Great Thread!
Dewey

curtis rosche
05-01-2008, 7:22 AM
that looks to good to be a winner!

Dennis Peacock
05-01-2008, 8:38 AM
Wow....talk about digging up an old thread. :)

This is a fun thread. :D

Andy Hoyt
05-01-2008, 9:19 AM
Egads, Brian. May be ugly, but I like it.

When you bury it; stuff it with cabbage and all manner kitchen scraps and seal it tight. When you dig it up in a future millennia you'll have some vintage kimchee. MMmm good.

Gene O. Carpenter
05-01-2008, 2:13 PM
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder...I hope I'll someday turn something as nice as what you folks call "Ugly"!;)

Well I've looked at all these photo's and while some are sort of funny looking:eek:, none are what I would call ugly!

So I agree with Ron "ugly IS in the eye of the beholder", :) and I too hope to someday be able to turn something that looks as good as good as some of these pieces:cool:!

I'm excluding any photo where the piece has split or the blank has a bad spot that's been left unturned..They weren't ugly, simply "un-improvable":rolleyes:!!

Gene:confused:

Russ Peters
05-01-2008, 2:35 PM
If he does that would it be spalting after the fact?

Bill Wyko
05-01-2008, 5:14 PM
My favorite!
Sorry Andy, that doesn't qualify as ugly.

Burt Alcantara
05-01-2008, 5:30 PM
My first box made in a box making class. Got carried away with the parting tool. It sits hidden on the shelf with all the other bad stuff.

Burt

Dan Barr
05-01-2008, 7:17 PM
carried away with the parting tool... :D

hilarious. something i would do.

dan

Reed Gray
05-01-2008, 7:29 PM
My ugliest turnings all seemed to have spontaneously combusted. Don't know how that happened.
Robust hippy

Richard Madison
05-01-2008, 10:44 PM
That's beautiful, Burt! Looks a lot like one I just made.