PDA

View Full Version : Is this obsessive?

James Stokes
06-15-2006, 9:12 PM
I had a stopped up sewer line today. I went to the tool rental place to get A sewer snake, they would not rent to me because my drivers license is expired. O.K. So I went to harbor freight and bought one. The manager knows me and let me have it for $150, The last time I had a stopped up line the plumber charged me $125 to snake it. I figure for only $25 more I have my own snake if I need it.
While I was working on the line my ex-wife called. I told her what I was doing and that I had bought a snake, she made the comment that I just could not resist buying a new tool even if I did not need it. That I was obsessed with tools. I thought it was a completely justified buy, What about you guys does that sound justified? The $150 does not make one bit of difference to my financial situation at all. Or hers for that matter.

Now I do admit to having a few tools in their boxes un opened and un used. Not many.

Ben Grunow
06-15-2006, 9:27 PM
Sounds like you have a sewer line problem not a tool problem (if you had bought the tool the first time you could have SAVED some $). Maybe your wife is the clogger of the line and you could suggest to her that she focus on not clogging the line instead of what tools you have or don't have (you can show her this reply if you want to stay out of the dog house and blame it on me). Plus, I might add since I'm probably talking to your wife now, who has to clean the sewer line? Anyone who does this job deserves a new tool as a reward. IMHO of course. How do you like them apples?

W Craig Wilson
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
At first glance I was going to say that Ben's advice would only fuel the fire but then I noticed that James had said EX-wife. Why does she care and why do you care what she says?

Allen Bookout
06-15-2006, 11:24 PM
So I went to harbor freight and bought one. The manager knows me and let me have it for $150, The last time I had a stopped up line the plumber charged me $125 to snake it. I figure for only $25 more I have my own snake if I need it.

That is exactly the way that I figure if I should buy a new tool or not. In fact, I usually figure that if I can use it three times and break even it is a good buy.

Allen

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Obsessive would be buying that snake and NOT having a plugged drain line! That would require treatment in my humble opinion. I think you made a good decision. I think maybe your EX is obsessive. She apparently hasn't let go of you or the idea that you need her to tell you what to do!

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2006, 11:32 PM
While I was working on the line my ex-wife called. I told her what I was doing and that I had bought a snake, she made the comment that I just could not resist buying a new tool even if I did not need it. That I was obsessed with tools.By definition, being ex-wife completely disqualifies her from having useful input on the subject.
SWMBO is one thing, SWCBI is another.

Randy Meijer
06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Obsessive would be buying that snake and NOT having a plugged drain line! That would require treatment in my humble opinion. I think you made a good decision. I think maybe your EX is obsessive. She apparently hasn't let go of you or the idea that you need her to tell you what to do!

IMO, "obsessive" would be buying a snake and then plugging up your own sewer to try it out and see how well it works!!:D :D

Randy Meijer
06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
.....I usually figure that if I can use it three times and break even it is a good buy......

First use on clogged sewer. Second use on x-wife during her next visit. Sounds like it is almost paid for!! :D

Allen Bookout
06-16-2006, 1:11 AM
Those are good ones Randy! At least they gave me a good laugh.

Allen

Joe Pelonio
06-16-2006, 9:19 AM
If your sewer line clogs more than once every 2 years a snake is a good investment. Now really, can anyone consider a snake to be a fun toy?
Unclogging a sewer is a nasty, stinky job.

Kyle Kraft
06-16-2006, 9:40 AM
SWCBI ? Acronym finder doesn't list this one. She Who Could Be _____?

Kyle in K'zoo

Bruce Page
06-16-2006, 9:45 AM
At first glance I was going to say that Ben's advice would only fule the fire but then I noticed that James had said EX-wife. Why does she care and why do you care what she says?
My thoughts exactly!

Rob Russell
06-16-2006, 9:45 AM
"I" for Ignored.

tod evans
06-16-2006, 9:53 AM
heck yes you`re obsesive! send all your tools to me and cleanse yourself:)

Jerry Olexa
06-16-2006, 2:03 PM
Reminds me a lot of myself:D :) :D Ya did the right thing. For $25 extra u own the tool!!:D

Mark Pruitt
06-16-2006, 2:46 PM
EX-wife = none of her doggone business. Maybe she is the one who's obsessed--with criticizing people.

James Stokes
06-16-2006, 6:07 PM
actually for an ex we get along fine. It just made me think obout it. Hopefully I will never need the snake again. I am sure I could have gone somewhere else and rented one, but no I had to go buy one. And I did not even think about it, I just went and bought one.

Vaughn McMillan
06-16-2006, 6:55 PM
In your position, I'd have bought the snake. If you use it twice you're money ahead. That's not compulsive, it's prudent. We have a bathtub drain than needs snaking every few months (it's from some long-haired bloke taking showers), and I went through two or three cheap plastic-bodies ones before buying a decent Ridgid drill-powered snake.

- Vaughn

Jim Bell
06-16-2006, 8:13 PM
How much would you pay to have your ex disappear down the drain?
Jim

John Miliunas
06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
James, personally, I think it's a good investment, and furthermore, you could always rent it out to your Ex if/when she needs it!!! :D :D :cool:

Norman Hitt
06-17-2006, 7:34 PM
OBSESSIVE????? I think NOT.

I've gotta say that the LOML has only ONCE EVER made any comment about my tool buying, (and in reality, she has bought me some of them and said why don't you just go ahead and buy it, on others that I had been wrestling with a purchase decision for). The ONE & ONLY time that she did make a pointed comment about the tools though, (when she was a little "Ticked" at me about something), I did politely mention her passion for buying shoes, clothes, jewelry, (and not the cheap kind either), swatch watches, Rock/granite watches, collector plates, Beanie Babies, Hobby Kits (& never used), AND a few other things, Annnnnnnnnd.................somehow,THAT SUBJECT has mysteriously NEVER come up again.:rolleyes: :D