PDA

View Full Version : anybody looked at the hilti guided saws?

tod evans
06-15-2006, 7:41 PM
a post made earlier today got me to checking out the offerings from hilti in the guided circular saw mayham. has anyone driven one of their systems? i`m not asking about their low end saw on aftermarket rails, i`m curious to know if anybody has seen or used the hilti combo? reason being i`ve abused hilti equipment in the past and it`ll take it, so i`m inclined to give their stuff a real close look. tod

[edit] here`s a link to the saw i`m talking about, 8`+ rail, 25 blades and the saw, price is on par with festool.
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_product.jsp?OID=35873&CATE_OID=-16775

Mark Rios
06-15-2006, 9:55 PM
I had the opportunity to cut with the high end saw at a demo day and I didn't like the feel/balance of the saw. I also couldn't see or feel a difference to justify the extra expense of this saw over the old stand-by saws that others use and recommend. Looks fancy though. :D

tod evans
06-16-2006, 5:59 PM
mark, have you driven the festool or ez system to compare the hilti to? tod

Mark Rios
06-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My post ONLY refers to the saw itself. I only got to use the saw for a couple of cross cuts and a freehand rip cut in plywood. I didn't get to use (nor did they have it set up) the guided rail system. I do have the EZ set of rails and the base plate mounted on a Milwaukee CS. With the "good" Freud blade on it, it seems to do an okay job for rough cutting cabinet plywood or for cutting siding and such. Although I still have to fuss way too much to get the rails aligned, in my opinion, but that's another thread.:D

Burt Waddell
06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Tod,

I understand that the Hilti is an excellent saw but when it comes to the system, the EZ is awfully hard to beat.

The EZ System is the only universal guided system - I have Festool, Makita, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Skil and even craftsman saws set to use with it. Dino also has bases available for the left hand saws for the lefties.

The EZ can clamp the narrowest of boards. Nothing else even comes close. EZ also has the only self-aligning connector system. I even used a EZ Connector to adapt an incra miter gauge for use with the EZ.

EZ also is the only one to offer bi-directional rails - cut form either end. Also the repeaters (positioning system - kind of like a fence) are an EZ Exclusive.

In addition, the EZ offers anti chip protection on both sides of the blade - I have cut formica good side up.

These are only a few of the EZ advantages. My advice - buy what ever saw you wish but be sure to guide with an EZ Smart guide.

Burt

Mark Rios
06-17-2006, 1:22 AM
Uh oh!!! Sounds like we're fightin' again.

:D :D :D

tod evans
06-17-2006, 8:02 AM
gee thanks burt! i knew i could count on an unbiased review of the hilti guided saw system from you......maybe you missed this part of my original post? "i`m not asking about their low end saw on aftermarket rails"

i haven`t discounted any of the popular offerings, ez or festool, in fact i still don`t really know if i`ll purchase any guided skillsaw. what i`m trying to do is look at all the offerings in the same light. like i stated earlier hilti has a very good track record with me, i can tear up a crowbar in a sandbox and have thrashed hilti tools in the past and they`re made to take jobsite abuse. if i buy a guided skillsaw that`s what it would be used for, jobsite work.
honestly if it makes any difference the "hard-sell" and pushiness of you burt in particular counts against the ez system from where i sit. i`m fully aware that the system exists and specifically stated in the original post that i wasn`t inquiring about aftermarket rails. .02 tod

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-17-2006, 9:58 AM
Very Cool Tod, I did not know that Hilti made a CS, much less a guided one.

I too have used and abused Hilti products and I've never seen them miss a beat.

A buddy of mine worked as a contractor for a rental shop, the customers busted stuff, and he fixed it. The one brand I NEVER saw in his shop for repairs was Hilti, he also said he did not have much time on the Hilti stuff, except for the occasional cut cord etc.

That Hilti saw has 6 speeds like the Festool does, but I wonder how good the DC would be, hard to beat the Festool on that point, I would think.

I'd like to see a parts diagram, see how many bearings it has etc.

10 pounds, is that heavy or light for a CS?

Burt, you should post pics with you comments, as they say, a pic is worth a 1000 words! ;) :D

Cheers!

Burt Waddell
06-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Uh oh!!! Sounds like we're fightin' again.

:D :D :D

No intention of starting another war. Just saying that the Hilti has a good reputation and that EZ is the best guide system.

tod evans
06-17-2006, 11:14 AM
No intention of starting another war. Just saying that the Hilti has a good reputation and that EZ is the best guide system.

okay burt i`ll bite......have you driven the hilti system? not the saw on aftermarket rails, the hilti saw i posted a link to on the hilti rail. i`m still looking for anybody who has actually driven this set-up so they can make educated statements about the system....02 tod

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Tod............I've never driven the hilti saw but the hilti tools I rented were great quality. The rental center says they are nearly indestructible!

Ian Barley
06-17-2006, 3:08 PM
Tod

I have not driven it myself but know a man who has. When I tell him how much I love my Festool plunge saw he tells me it cannot be any better than his Hilti. People I know who use Hilti swear by them for toughness and I suspect that on a jobsite they have the edge over festool in the toughness stakes but have a run for their money on refinement. Sorry its second hand but hope it helps a little.

Burt Waddell
06-17-2006, 3:54 PM
Tod,

I have not used the Hilti System.

Sometimes pictures are very helpful though. Looking at your link, the rails and clamps both appear to be very similiar to the Festool. Clamps are obviously nothing like a Smart Clamp from EZ. The rail, like the festool, appears to be relatively thin and single directional. The EZ is by-directional.

Burt

tod evans
06-17-2006, 7:26 PM
Tod

I have not driven it myself but know a man who has. When I tell him how much I love my Festool plunge saw he tells me it cannot be any better than his Hilti. People I know who use Hilti swear by them for toughness and I suspect that on a jobsite they have the edge over festool in the toughness stakes but have a run for their money on refinement. Sorry its second hand but hope it helps a little.

thanks ian! nice to hear even second hand about happy/unhappy users. tod

Bruce Benjamin
06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Tod, I have the Hilti 267 but without the Hilti guide rail. Just to give another more experience opinion of the Hilti saw, I used it for quite a few cuts either freehand or on my homemade guide rail and it was smooth and very easy to handle. I've used it's plunge cut abilities and the variable speed and the dust collection with success. I looked into the Hilti guide rail when I bought my saw and it looked very similar, if not identical to the Festool setup. I'd already compared the Festool to the other guide system with the name we're not supposed to mention anymore and I easily chose the #% $^@&! guide rail system over either the Hilti or the Festool. The saw is great in my shop.

Bruce

Per Swenson
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi Todd,

I have a hilti saw but no guide rail for it.

Then again I use it to beat the snoggins out of.

Yup, kind of saw you have no problem lowering to the first floor by the cord,

Tossing in the truck box, or letting the summer help use. This is a testament

to durability. Not to mention when you start buying hilti you can get your own

personal salesman. I know guided rail stuff.......

Ever see this? http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_fr.htm

They also have a fold up rail, er roll up.

Great looking stuff. Maybe Christian A. in Austria will happen by and

give us the info on all these German saws.

Per

tod evans
06-19-2006, 7:55 AM
per, this offering from mafell is really cool!
http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_fr.htm
with the curved, odd ball stuff i do i could see this being really handy. thanks for the heads-up. tod

[edit] the link is an index, the one i`m speaking of is the ksp40 flexible rail