PDA

View Full Version : Plaque color fill

Daryl Barberousse
06-15-2006, 7:25 PM
What's the best way to color fill this type of plaque?

Daryl Barberousse
06-15-2006, 7:34 PM
This might be a better photo....

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2006, 8:17 PM
What's the finish on the wood? On some you can use wax shoe polish then buff it off of the background. I normally will engrave thru paper transfer tape, then fill with latex paint, remove the tape and clean off any that smeared onto the background. I've also used Krylon Spray paint with transfer tape, in several light coats. If it puddles it can bleed under and dries fast so is harder to wipe off without damaging the clearcoat. On an unfinished piece of wood you can also engrave thru the tansfer tape, use latex paint, let it dry, then clear over all of it.

Daryl Barberousse
06-15-2006, 8:23 PM
Joe,

This particular plaque has minwax fast drying polyurethane on it.

Leigh Costello
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
As long as you have a sealed surface such as yours and the finish is dry, you can either wipe or brush or spray an acrylic paint into the engraved portion. I have used glossy acrylic paints and had good luck brushing in the engraved areas. I then used a clear acrylic topcoat from Delta. Hope it works. I would recommend testing first on a practice piece, just to be safe. Good Luck! It looks great!

Daryl Barberousse
06-16-2006, 3:59 PM
Since the engraved area is "bare" wood, the acrylic paint will not bleed? What is the best method to spray? Airbrush?

Mike Shauer
06-16-2006, 5:04 PM
I cut through transfer tape then give a quick coat of spray lacquer, when this is dry I use Krylon plastic paint in several lite coats. The plastic paint seems to dry quicker. Since doing this I have had no bleed out.
Seems everyone has a favorite way and you tend to use the one that works for you. Cheers

Daryl Barberousse
06-19-2006, 8:47 AM
I experimented with some color fill this weekend. This is the H2O latex spray paint. Seemes to work well, but there is always room for "fine tuning".

Thanks to everyone who advised me. I hope this thread can be helpful in the future.

Thanks again