PDA

View Full Version : HVLP questions....

Brian Hale
06-15-2006, 7:09 PM
Hey folks!

I posted on the finishing forum but wanted to ask here in case some of you don't wander over there much....

I need an HVLP turbine outfit. I've been drooling over the Turbinaire system that has the variable speed and wondering if it's a gimick or a real useful option. Seems like being able to lower the CFM's could help with overspray if i don't need full power.

Another system is the Fuji Q4 which i can get from Amazon with a 20% off discount code (PAINTS20 ) for a shipped price of $764.

The Turbinaire offers a remote cup but i don't see it for the Fuji.

Anyway, i welcome your thoughts!

Brian :)

Matt Tawes
06-15-2006, 7:50 PM
Hey Brian,

I've got the Fuji Q4 and find the adjustable air pressure extremely beneficial. You could actually make your own adjustment on any model for that matter. Fuji just runs the turbine full pressure and the hose has an add-on ball valve with quick disconnect to the gun where you can close off or open the flow right near the gun as much as you need while spayaing to fine tune it. When I'm spraying Target's USL I have the valve almost closed (about 1/4" or less open) and get a nice soft spray which minimzes bounce back and overspray. I looked at the Turbinaire but got the Q4 since it was cheaper (with promos & Amazon coupons I had) and it got great reviews on a number of forums.
If you go with the Q4 definitely get the 6' whip hose add-on as it really lightens the gun up over having the heavy hose attached directly.

Chris Padilla
06-15-2006, 7:52 PM
Try www.hvlp.com (http://www.hvlp.com). It points to Apollo HVLP systems. Way back when, I went through the same (don't think Turbinaire was around) and came down to the Q4 and Apollo 1000. I went with the Apollo 1000 and although it is noisy as all heck, it has served me well and no problems in 5 years of moderate useage.

Some rag (WOOD?) just did a test of several brands, and the Turbinaire, Fuji, Apollo, etc. were all included. Maybe someone has theirs handy, I'll try to dig it up for you and at least get you the right rag to seek.

Loren Hedahl
06-15-2006, 7:57 PM
I saw those at the last woodworking show. It was supposed to add another mode of control.

My opinion, and I entirely respect other opinions, is that a painter that is good with the gun would set the thing on high and forget it. He would adjust his gun needle position and air flow setting to get the fan he desired and go for it.

Another opinion is if I were in the market for such a system, I would pay extra to get the quietest one. I saw a couple of brands that had special units with double cases to dampen the noise. Seemed like a worthwhile option to me.

Loren Hedahl

Brian Hale
06-15-2006, 8:13 PM
Good stuff folks!

The Q4 is supposed to very quite and that is a big draw for me. They use air control vents to break up the sound instead of insulation which they say would add to heat in the turbine

My 15+yo CH system has the same gun setup with the cup on the bottom and i find that to be a pain sometimes, particularly when spraying a large surface like table top. I find i need to keep the gun up high and it feels awkward. Also, i can't tell you how many times I've hit the area i just sprayed with the cup :mad: . That's what i like about the remote cup idea.

I just noticed the air flow valve on the Q4. That should act the same as the variable speed on the Turbinaire.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2006, 5:45 PM
The Apollo is a bleed-through gun, which can be problematic at times since it is always has a stream of air blowing through it. You must be conscious of where you point it at all times! :) However, my understanding is that bleed-throughs put less strain on the motors/turbines. Anyway, it would be nice to have a quieter system as that is my main beef with my system but I have earplugs and use them quite regularly with all my other "quiet" machines (TS, J/P, etc.) so it really isn't any big deal.

Per Swenson
06-16-2006, 6:42 PM
Hi Brian,

Q4 pro here.

What everybody else says.

And quiet. They also offer a new gravity feed gun.

Don"t own it yet, just a matter of time.

Could not be happier.

Per

Brian Hale
06-16-2006, 7:15 PM
Well guys, i think i narrowed it down to an Accuspray 230K with a 2qt remote cup. (~$1110 delivered).

I like that the fan adjustment is located on the gun, 3-4 hr duty cycle and the model 10 gun seems to have a very good reputation. It's 115 cfm at 6psi. I can't find any information on how load it it is and i forgot to ask Lois at Compliant spray systems when i was talking to her.

My second choice is the Apollo 1000 with a 2qt remote cup for ~$1400 delivered. It's 130 cfm at 8 psi. That's more powerful than the Accuspray but i don't think it's needed for spraying film finishes, just paints and such.

The guy i spoke with at Apollo said the variable speed on the Turbinaire is more of a gimmick and that if i wanted that feature i could use a variable speed control like you would for a router since all the turbines use the same type motor as a router (universal?)

I was ready to place the order with Compliant while i had her on the phone but i was getting a bit irritated with her attitude. While she was very helpful and knowledgeable she was also very quick to slam the other systems out there. None of them had any good points at all. When i ask if the gun was a bleeder like what I'm used to, she told me to get my head out of the 1950's and be open minded to new technology. "Change is hard but you've got to do it" :( Kinda reminded me of a mother scolding a 3 year old.

Anyway........... This is a pretty big investment and I'm hoping it'll be the last system I'll need to buy, at least for the next 15+ years.

Any reason not to go with the Accuspray?

Thanks for you help!!

Larry Norton
06-16-2006, 7:35 PM
Brian, I have the Accuspray 23K (Not the 230, but the 23) with the #10 gun and absolutely love it! I'm not up on all the gee gaws, but I can't remember any problems except for those that come with poor maintenance. I remember the first time I used it. The finish was perfect, then I found that I hadn't tightened the pressure valve on the gun. All of my spraying is either semi gloss latex or WB poly.

Brian Hale
06-16-2006, 7:56 PM
Nice looking cabinet Larry! Did you spray the paint also?

I'm hopeful the Accuspray will be everything I'm hoping for and the feedback from users is quite positive.

Ian Barley
06-17-2006, 4:23 AM
Fuji Q4 here - one of my favourite things in the shop. Quiet - easy - if there is a better solution I don't need it 'cos this one is plenty good enough.

Larry Norton
06-17-2006, 9:01 AM
Brian, Yes, I sprayed the paint. I use Sherwin Williams semi gloss enamel.

David Eisenhauer
06-19-2006, 1:40 PM
I think Jeff Jewitt at Hoestead uses the Accuspray quite a bit. Back when, Accuspray and Apollo seemed to be the two main choices (pre Fuji, PC, Wagner, etc). I chose Apollo (3 stage) and haven't regretted it. The bleeder doesn't bother me. You may want to read the "tutorial/review" that Jerry Word posted on the Target Coatings website about Target Coatingsd and HVLP equipment. I believe it's like most othet things, there are several good ones out there (Ford, Chevy, Dodge kind of thing). Best of luck.

Brian Hale
06-19-2006, 5:53 PM
Just got off the phone with Jeff from Homestead finishing. I ordered the Accuspray 230 turbine, MDL10 gun with 1qt cup, 2qt remote cup and hose and a cleaning kit. This will allow me to spray with or without a cup on the gun which will really make things flexible. ~$1140.00 with shipping.

I'll need to run a line from my little pancake compressor to the 2qt cup and adjust the pressure way down low; just enough to push the finishing material up to the gun. The hose from the turbine runs to the gun itself. At that point the gun will atomize the finish. I'll waste a bit of material when cleaning the gun and hoses but the added flexibility is a nice trade off.

It always feels sooooooooo good when i order a quality tool... ;)

I'll be on the front porch waiting for the brown truck... :D

Broke Brian :)

Luis Oliveira
06-22-2006, 2:33 PM
Brian,

I notice you decided to buy the Accuspray 230 instead of the fuji Q4, which is a 4 stage HVLP.
Can you share what changed your mind?

Luis

Brian Hale
06-22-2006, 6:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek Luis!!

According to the folks i talked with, the real advantage of a 4 stage is higher psi/lower cfm which is better suited to spraying paint. While it'll do a fine job with film finishes it's more than I'd need.

Some research showed the Accuspray #10 gun is highly thought of as the best in this price range. Understand that this is mostly coming from users on different forums. I didn't find anything bad about the other guns out there but there were enough comments with high praise that it swayed me a bit. I also like having the fan adjustment on the gun.

My most important feature is the remote cup and/or pressure pot. I sprayed a lot of NC lacquer using a 5 gallon pressure pot when i worked as a "cabinet maker" for a few years and i really like the freedom of not having a cup attached to the gun. It's lighter and more maneuverable and as i said before, more than once I've hit a freshly sprayed surface with that cup. I couldn't find anyone that offered a remote cup/pressure pot for the Fuji. It may be out there but...

Jeff Jewitt (sp?) highly recommended the Accuspray system and he has a reputation for knowing what he's talking about.

I really don't think there is much difference between the various brands available and I'm sure any one of them will do a great job. I guess the bottom line is i went with my gut feelings and chose the Accuspray system.

Luis Oliveira
06-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for taking the time an respond!. I will keep your findings in mind.

Luis

David Eisenhauer
06-24-2006, 12:11 PM
You might want to check out the real world review/tutorial written up on the Target Coatings website. The guy doesn't review the Fuji, nut does discuss HVLP, Target brand finishes, and finishing in general as well as noting that his long time used Accuspray didn't fare as well in comparison as he would have expected.

Brian Hale
06-24-2006, 1:04 PM
You might want to check out the real world review/tutorial written up on the Target Coatings website. The guy doesn't review the Fuji, nut does discuss HVLP, Target brand finishes, and finishing in general as well as noting that his long time used Accuspray didn't fare as well in comparison as he would have expected.

Can you post a like to that article, i can't seem to find it.

Thanks!!

David Eisenhauer
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Go to Target Coatings website home page and look for the link to "Jerry Work's Review or Tutorial" or something like that. It is listed nearer the top of the page, left hand side. Jerry is an every day ww who uses Target Coatings products quite a bit with HVLP eqpt. He apparantly has owned an Accuspray for years and did a shop-type review/tutorial on that unit, an Apollo four stage unit, and a couple of other guns (Asturo maybe?) with a couple different coatings. He describes his techniques that work for him in his shop. A good read.