PDA

View Full Version : finished hollow bowl (pics)

Bill Esposito
09-12-2003, 3:19 PM
Hi all,

I just finished the bowl. Decided to give it to my wife as a potpourri holder. The bowl itself is clear maple and the lid is cherry with a pewter insert from the Woodturners catalog. The finish is simply 2 coats of natural Watco.

All the pics (http://cerealport.net/woodworking/potpourri_bowl.html)

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/potpourribowl6.jpg

Noah Alkinburgh
09-12-2003, 3:23 PM
Very nice Bill...how about some dimensions?

Noah

Bill Esposito
09-12-2003, 3:32 PM
Very nice Bill...how about some dimensions?

NoahThanks Noah,

Including the lid it stands 4.5" tall and is 7" in diameter. I also picked up some of those confetti lamps since they were on sale (4/$7.99)...now I just need the drill bit.:)

Noah Alkinburgh
09-12-2003, 3:35 PM
Thanks Noah,

Including the lid it stands 4.5" tall and is 7" in diameter. I also picked up some of those confetti lamps since they were on sale (4/$7.99)...now I just need the drill bit.:)

Sweet mercy they are on sale!!!!! I better get some :D

Thanks for the info, I think the LOML would enjoy one of them...I am a bit unsure on the hollowing part though :)

Noah

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-12-2003, 8:47 PM
Very nice turning Bill. The grain in the Maple is beautiful, and the Cherry insert adds a nice contrast. I have had my eye on those Hummingbird Potpourri lids for some time...........these would make great gifts! Nice finishing job as well. Thanks for sharing your work with us! :D

Jim Becker
09-12-2003, 9:21 PM
Very nice, Bill. And it has one of the things that would make folks in our house happy...birds on it! Tosca and Spike both approve. :D

Tom Sweeney
09-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Verry well done Bill. The Cherry lid really sets it off nicely. & the lid looks great on it also. I'll have to check out those things - would probably make nice gifts for the Holidays.

John Miliunas
09-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey Bill, setting the lid off with Cherry, is a real neat idea! Takes the "plain old" potpourri holder to a new level. Very nicely done! Hope I can find some time between now & Christmas to crank out a few myself, as your work has inspired me! :cool:

Bill Esposito
09-13-2003, 8:45 AM
Thanks all.

The lid was an afterthought and I had to inset it into wood because the opening was too big. I struggled with the design a bit in both shape and height and then decided to shape it like the bowl and make it tall enough so as to make it's similar shape readily apparent....anyone notice? :)

As for making them as gifts, given a reasonable hourly rate everyone will be getting $500 christmas presents :)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Bill, nice recovery with the inset Cherry Lid............if you wouldn't have mentioned it, I would have though it was a part of the original design. :) Anyway you "Turn" it, I really like the overall appearance! :D