PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to pen making problems

Ken Salisbury
06-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I am starting a new thread to address problems brought to light by some folks in a thread started by Cory Hallagan

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38166

I have made more than 500 Flat Top American (double twist) pens with a 99% (or greater) success rate. <O:pThere are 3 inherent problems which can happen. First, the length of the top blank is critical 1 13/16” + 0 – 1/32”. If the blank is too long the mechanism will not function properly. If the blank is too short the ring on the end of the lower barrel will show when the pen is assembled. Years ago I made a go, no-go gauge to insure the top blanks were within the tolerances specified. Berea now sells a gauge for use on this kit plus some other kits like the Round Top Euro which has similar problems. However it is simple to make your own. The top blank must clear the first step in the gauge and not go into the next step.

<O:p
<O:pSecondly two things can happen that will cause a bind between the twist mechanism and the top tube which will cause a bind resulting in a hard to turn mechanism or an inoperable one.

1. When assembling the brass threaded insert into the twist mechanism excessive pressure can be applied causing a slight flare in the threaded end of the twist mechanism.

2. When assembling the center band to the top (due to part tolerances) a slight collapse in the upper tube can occur causing the same bind.

Solutions:

Make sure things fit before you assemble.

First, make sure your lower barrel will fit into the center band with room to spare. Then assemble the lower blank

<O:pSecond, put the center band on the top blank. Then assemble the twist mechanism/brass insert sub assembly. Test fit these two by inserting the mechanism sub assembly backwards into the top tube from the center ring end and turn to insure a free fit. If tight, slightly ream out the tube with a reamer or a drill bit to insure clearance. Then press the mechanism sub assembly in from the top.

Third, prior to any assembly of the lower part of the pen, test fit the bottom blank into the assembled top (center band) to insure clearance. If tight reducing it's diameter is required.

Flat Top American pens have been by far my best sellers. The problems are simply "operator errors" :) . "He who gives up - loses"

HAPPY PEN TURNING ! ! !

Leigh Costello
06-15-2006, 6:28 PM
Hello and thank you for the link. I have only turned pens for about a year and have had some very good luck with the slimline design pens. I also make the comfort pen (but I never us the grip) and have a lot of success with them also. I sell mostly by word of mouth and craft shows.
But, alas, I am on indefinite hiatus as I have recently had major shoulder surgery. On my dominant shoulder no less. My hubby will be taking over the turning for me temporarily. He turns an excellent slimline, but has a little trouble doing the comfort pen. Practice makes perfect I say. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Leigh

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 7:27 PM
Ken, thanks I certainly am not going to argue with someone who has turned 500 of these. This Kit is my favorite as far as looks. I really like the style. I am already doing everything you mention with the exception of the guage part. Maybe the tops are off enough. The rest of the items I have done on all prior to assembley. I just ordered a bunch of the 8 mm Euros so I guess I need to get this handled. ken when you say you have made 500 and 99% sucessfull, does this mean that they mechanisms worked smothly or just worked? I have made a couple that work flawlessly, a couple that work but are stiff as heck and a 3 that will not work at all.

Ken, can I ask you another question, what was your sucess rate on the Flat Top Pencil Kit and the Euro Pencil Kit? Have you made any/many of these? I have had no problems with the Flat Top Rollerball kit.

Ken it is good to see you post, hope your doing well. Thanks for your help!
Corey

Ken Salisbury
06-16-2006, 1:22 AM
. I am already doing everything you mention with the exception of the guage part. Maybe the tops are off enough. The rest of the items I have done on all prior to assembley. I just ordered a bunch of the 8 mm Euros so I guess I need to get this handled. ken when you say you have made 500 and 99% sucessfull, does this mean that they mechanisms worked smothly or just worked? I have made a couple that work flawlessly, a couple that work but are stiff as heck and a 3 that will not work at all.

Ken, can I ask you another question, what was your sucess rate on the Flat Top Pencil Kit and the Euro Pencil Kit? Have you made any/many of these? I have had no problems with the Flat Top Rollerball kit.

Ken it is good to see you post, hope your doing well. Thanks for your help!
Corey

The top blank being too long will result in an inoperable mechanism. The other things cause a stiff operating mechanism. When I say 99% successfull I mean a smoothly working one. Stiff ones would just be trash :) .

The Round Top Euro kits are also critical to upper blank length. I don't remember the dimension right off however, too long is bad, a little short is good.

I have made a few of the pencil kits successfully, but not many - pencils don't sell well, at least from my experience. The Flat Top Roller Ball is a good kit and problem free.

I haven't made any pens for almost a year, or any other woodworking for that matter because of my lung cancer problems (Dr's orders - no sawdust). I still remember how to make them though :) .

Corey Hallagan
06-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks Ken for the info, I broke down and ordered Berea's cap guage and hopefully that will help! I suspect that is the biggest problem and I suspect a carpenters pencil line and then your cut on that line can lead to some errors.

Thanks!
Corey