PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Grizzly Tent sale this weekend. Share your stories from the past.

Jeff Kerr
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Morning all,

4 buddies and I are loading up the RV and trailer and heading to Muncy PA for the Grizzly tent sale this weekend. This will be our first time to travel to tool mecca. :)

I am looking forward to it. I already have several tools from Grizz and have been very happy. But this weekend I will be bringing home a G0490 jointer and G0453 planer. :p :p

If you have been to any of the tent sales please share your stories of the experience. Tell us what kind of stuff they had in the discount area. Are the selections good? Are the prices good etc?

Thanks,
Jeff

Chris McKimson
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Jeff,

I've been to the tent sale in Bellingham in years past and it's a madhouse. When I've been to the sale, Grizzly put a multi page invoice on the tool. Once the top copy is gone, the tool is considered sold. Naturally, folks grab up the slips pretty fast. If I was planning major tool purchasing at the tent sale, here is what I would do:

Get there EARLY. Try to be one of the first in line. I would imagine that would mean being in line by approx. 5 a.m.
Bring binnoculars. While waiting for the gates to open, each one of the 4 of your should view the items behind the fence to make sure you know exactly where what you are hoping to buy is located. You CAN NOT waste precious time trying to locate something. No time for that.
Have the items you are hoping to get prioritized. Run to the first item, grab the slip, run to the second item grab the slip. ETC... Work as a team if possible, especially if one of your pals is just going along for the ride or 2 of you want the same thing. Easy for 1 guy to grab 2 slips.
Once you have the items you want, get in line fast. The line to pay gets long and can take along time to wait through. Same with getting loaded. (Well the tools, of course. :) ) Try get your stuff and get out. If you want to take your time to browse, do it after you have paid and and after you have been loaded.

In the end, if you can get big item, then consider yourself lucky. The people I know who have had success at the tent sale usually go after 1 each year and over time get what they need at the tent sale and save some bucks. Naturally, YMMV.

Chris

Christopher Stahl
06-15-2006, 2:43 PM
Like the other Chris said, it's a mad house. There will be tents for people in line and RVs everywhere. All the good items will be picked out in the first couple minutes, and you'll see people running.

I'll be up in Muncy for the tent sale, but I don't usually get there until 10 or 11. I usually go to get discounts from the dealers, like last year I picked up a Makita SCMS for 37% off after the discounts and rebates. I'll probably go to pick up another Forrest WWII this year and anything else that catches my fancy.

Good Luck :)

Jesse Messick
06-15-2006, 5:03 PM
A buddy got a Shop fox moulder (W/H clone ) last year for $500 in Muncy. The tag said something like-needs such and such gear. He walked over to another line and ordered it and it cost only $8 to fix...

Kelly Anderson
06-15-2006, 9:37 PM
I have been to Springfield for the last 2 years and Chris is right, mad house. Last year I got there about 5 minutes before they opened and had to wait while they let people in cause they had camped out over nite. The line was across the front of the building and arround the corner. Fair, but I am not that dedicated. Good deals to be had on smaller stuff too if you look.

Harvey Chute
06-15-2006, 9:44 PM
I went to Bellingham's last month. Fortunately I live about a mile away and walked - there was no parking available for many blocks because of the crowds.

A tip I heard there: any items that have slips removed, and that aren't claimed, get new slips added after two hours. So, two hours after opening or so, there may be many items become available that were previously tagged as sold.

I picked up a ShopFox oscillating mini-drill press ($55; needed an O-ring belt that I bought for $2); a tool bench for $40; and some smaller items. I think if you're looking for a larger item, the time in line would be more worth it. But it is an experience!!!

- Harvey

Allen Bookout
06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
But it is an experience!!!

- Harvey

Sounds like an experience that I do not need.

Randy Cox
06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Wen't to Springfield last year...probably would never do it again. Totally a madhouse. The problem I saw was with a few people who would do this...Say they were wanting a table saw and there were several in a row. They would team up and if they got there first, they would grab the slips off of several in a row real quick and then take their time about looking them over and picking out the one they wanted and then just throw the other slips down. Did get some good prices on Jorgy clamps though. It was still a fun day.

Randy

Jeff Kerr
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Here is a link with some photos of the Grizzly sale in Muncy on June 17, 06.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38383