PDA

View Full Version : Modify Brett Guard w/Biesemeyer Splitter?

Mike Hill
06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Has anyone modified a Brett overhead (J-Arm) guard to work with a Biesemeyer Splitter? Basically, I think I have to cut the back off the guard to make it fit :) I could also buy a new guard, but have a lot invested in the Brett. It seems to me that the closed back of the guard could be removed on the band saw. The anti-kickback pawls are there, but no longer needed since the Biesemeyer already has these teeth. A few pictures

Seems like one modification leads to another problem.

Mike

Stan Mijal
06-15-2006, 4:04 PM
Mike,

I did just what you were thinking, except I didn't use a Bies I used the Delta removable splitter (part of the Delta overhead guard system)
It required that I cut off a small amount of the fron of the splitter so the Brett guard would clear the splitter. Other than that, no other changes were necessary. I think this type of setup is far superior to the small piece od steel included in the Brett system as a splitter. In addition, the Brett's anti kickback system seemed like it would leave scrape marks ( I never even put it to use) so I just retracted it and relied on the splitter with anti-kickback pawls.

Mike Hill
06-15-2006, 4:32 PM
Stan: Thanks for the nice reply. As you can see in my other post, I got a bit more radical :-) It seems to have worked fine. Did not get many replies and I think for 2 reasons. 1. Not that many Brett Guards around and 2. Everybody is worried about being "liable". Down here in Central Texas, we take responsibility for what we do. Your comment on the Biesemeyer pawls is interesting and I will check some soft wood next time I rip. I can clean it up in the planer but will try to avoid it. Again, thanks for the reply.
Mike

Julio Navarro
06-15-2006, 5:10 PM
What about adding a lexan extension to the sides, front and back of the guard to raise it over the splitter. You could thread 2 holes on each side of the guard and attach an extended lexan rectangular 'box'.

Stan Mijal
06-17-2006, 7:49 AM
Mike,

saw your complete modification post. Looks nice!

Since were going to be really hot and humid today (for Michigan) I;ll take a couple of photos of my set up and post them too.

Yep, not many people use Brett guards, partially due to limited advertising and display exposure of the product. Fortunately HTC is only about 20minutes away and I was able to go and see/touch one before I purchased. Without that ability to physicall see it, I'm nt sure I would have spent that sum of money "blind" so to speak. HTC makes some really good products, but is a small company that doesn't seem to want to get too invoved in its own marketing (no web site, preferring to sell to distributors) Thier staff is very congenial and helpfll though. Its like dealing with an old fashoned Mom and Pop operation.
Maybee keeping things this way keeps their business sane for them in todays world!

Well, got to get out and replace a sprinkler head the wife "ran over" --ya think a 3 car wide driveway with only 2 cars would give her enough room.....:eek: