PDA

View Full Version : Windows to fit between studs?

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
When I move the bus. home I'd like to put in a couple of windows on the side wall of the room where I'll have the sign/laser shop. I'd prefer to use windows that I can place between the studs so as not to have to put in headers on the weight-bearing wall. Also would prefer that they be casement style that lift up to open. That way I can put an insert in the bottom of one to vent the laser rather than cut a hole in the wall. Anyone know of a company that makes off-the-shelf windows for 15" width rough opening?

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I really have no idea what I'm talking about here...but I suspect they DON'T make them that way on purpose, else lotsa folks would put them in new construction without a header just because they could.

I special ordered my bathroom windows (for size), and I think it only took a couple weeks.

KC

Mark Rios
06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Actually KC, the RO shold be 14 1/2" between studs (16" on-center minus 1 1/2"). I'd look for a 14" wide window and have a little room for adjustment. You might allow 1/4" top and bottom as well. Use your trim or sheetrock to hide the gaps.

Home depot will special order windows for not very much money.

Lee Schierer
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Short cuts in construction are generally not a good idea. Lack of proper support will not benefit the window over the life of the window. Starting with a 14-1/2 opening adding the window frame and casement, won't leave much glass area.

I would think that a dryer vent would be adequate for your laser venting and easier to install in the wall. You also wouldn't have to remember to open or close it before and after you use the laser.

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2006, 2:19 PM
Regardeless of the venting issue I want the windows, to let in more light.
Even if I have the kind that don't open. That side wall is 30' with no windows on it. The end walls have one each about 3'Hx6'w, and the other side is a wall shared with bedrooms.

Matt Meiser
06-15-2006, 2:43 PM
Regardeless of the venting issue I want the windows, to let in more light.
Even if I have the kind that don't open. That side wall is 30' with no windows on it. The end walls have one each about 3'Hx6'w, and the other side is a wall shared with bedrooms.

Assuming this is the top floor, what about a couple of those Sola-Tube skylights for additional light?

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2006, 3:14 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that one and it would be pretty easy in this case. Or maybe even a regular sky light, though I'd have that installed.

Rob Russell
06-15-2006, 3:33 PM
FYI, windows that "lift up to open" are known as awning windows. Casement windows are hinged on either the left or right side and swing out, not up.

Tyler Howell
06-15-2006, 3:35 PM
I agree with Lee. No short cuts.
Would that be a sash window that lifts:confused: .

Sounds like a great place for a nice casement bow window.
Great view, light, especially if you are working there all day.;)

skip coyne
06-15-2006, 3:39 PM
solar tubes can really be amazing I want to put a couple in here . I have a few customers with them and Im impressed .

the current issue of fine homebuilding has a article on them

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/fh_180_050.asp

skip coyne
06-15-2006, 3:47 PM
as to window styles , Ive become a ig fan of sliders .

We have three of them and Im looking to put some more in .

(of course you will have to cut a proper size opening , but I think thats a given ) ;)

Ken Garlock
06-15-2006, 4:27 PM
Joe, do check out Sun Pipe (http://www.sunpipe.com/index.htm). I had a Sun Pipe installed when we built. I check several manufacturers and found the Sun Pipe people to be the best. They have options that the competitors can't match like pipes up to 21 inches in diameter and up to 40 ft. long.

Tyler Howell
06-15-2006, 5:25 PM
Joe, do check out Sun Pipe (http://www.sunpipe.com/index.htm). I had a Sun Pipe installed when we built. I check several manufacturers and found the Sun Pipe people to be the best. They have options that the competitors can't match like pipes up to 21 inches in diameter and up to 40 ft. long.

HI Jack!
Ken
As long as you started this. A question for you. Can you add more than one room to a roof top reciever:confused: .
Sorry don't know the tech. terms.

Ken Garlock
06-15-2006, 5:57 PM
HI Jack!
Ken
As long as you started this. A question for you. Can you add more than one room to a roof top reciever:confused: .
Sorry don't know the tech. terms.

Tyler, not as far as I know. My pipe is around 23 ft. as I recall, and 12" diameter. It very nicely lights our hall bath which is an interior room. I often walk by the bathroom door and look to see if the overhead light fixture was left on.

Give the folks at Sun Pipe a call. Thay are located in Elgin Il., and they will be happy to discuss your application. You can find some neat pictures of installations on their web site.

I guess the roof dufingus is called a collector.:confused:

Tyler Howell
06-15-2006, 6:38 PM
Thanks Ken I looked at the other brand a few years back but couldn't do the the deal$$$$. Have about three locations this would be real slick

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2006, 8:05 PM

Thanks Ken. Assuming joists 24" O.C. it would be nice to have a big one.
Even in the center of the room it's probably not going to be more than 4-5' long. I'll check it out.

Peter Mc Mahon
06-18-2006, 9:00 AM
Hi Rob. FYI awning windows swing up. Single, double hung, and sash windows [generic] lift up which is what the op asked about. Peter