PDA

View Full Version : CenTech Metal Detector

Dave Sweeney
06-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Has anyone here taken the plunge and purchased one of these, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94138 from Harbor Freight? I've not been disappointed with the CenTech dial indicators and calipers that I've purchased in the past and was wondering if this might also be one of the HF gems. Anyone care to admit they have one of these?:D

John Bush
06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi Dave,
Several years ago I purchased a Garret metal detector from a security type(police supplier) catalogue and it has work perfectly. I paid over $100.00 then and it looks EXACTLY like the Cen-Tech in the HF catalogue. I'm assuming it is another Chinese copy of the original product, and if the specs are the same, this is a good deal. I,ve been scanned with this type in the airports also.

Extra info: I used old beams from our barn to build my shop, and they were full of old cut nails. My sensor easily located the ones broken off and even sensed the rust residue after I extracted the nail. I found several 22 calibur slugs and some copper BB as well. I'm thinking of hitting the Klondike and scanning for some Au. Good luck, JCB.

John Bush
06-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I looked at he picture again and saw that this wand is 6", I believe mine is 9or 10 ". The beams are 8x8 and the wand read with one pass. JCB

Michael Conner
06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't have this detector, but I have one of the cheap HF 5-function detectors. I use it to scan logs for metal. So far it has worked fine.

Mitchell Garnett
06-15-2006, 3:20 PM
I don't have this detector, but I have one of the cheap HF 5-function detectors. I use it to scan logs for metal. So far it has worked fine.

Do you think yours would work to find a PVC water line with a trace wire? I know the pros use a type that use a signal injector and sensitive monitoring device but I'm looking for something super cheap...

Jim Becker
06-15-2006, 3:37 PM
Mitchell, these detectors are designed for "close up" detection...not gonna work for something buried deep. You need something much more powerful for that. Most states have a free location service you can call...they will locate water, electric, gas, etc., and are usually called "three days" prior to any contracting work.

John Bush
06-15-2006, 4:50 PM
Hi Mitch,
Try calling Central Locating Service @425-489-4254. JCB.