PDA

View Full Version : Mother of All Lumber Carts (pics)

Bob Winkler
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok, so it's not fine woodworking, but very functional and necessary. I needed a way to store a large quantity (at least for me) of long, heavy maple boards. I opted to build a large rolling cart that could be placed at one end of my garage, and still allow for my car.

The cart is 4'W x 10'L x 5.5' high. The castors are 5" and rated at 600# each, and I used 6 of them. It rolls great on the garage concrete floor, not so great on my asphalt driveway. I wished I had used 6".

The kayak is only temporary.;)

Bob

Gail O'Rourke
06-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Awesome project.. I could use one of those!!

Mark Pruitt
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Reminds me of a cart I built at my former house that was 12 feet long and on casters. Talk about a monster. I went with a different storage method when I moved, but the rolling cart was a nice way of storing lumber and being able to move it easily when I needed the space.

Martin Shupe
06-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Now that is a BIG lumber cart!

lou sansone
06-15-2006, 11:02 AM
hi bob
nice cart ... I am sure it will hold the load

lou

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Massive.......... what kind of brakes do you have on that sucker? :eek:

Cheers!

Jesse Cloud
06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey Bob,
This idea of 'leaving room for a car' in the garage sets a bad example. Many of us try to convince the other half that there is just no way for a woodshop to share a garage with a car!!;)

Bob Winkler
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Massive.......... what kind of brakes do you have on that sucker? :eek:

Cheers!

Who needs brakes:eek:. Even though the Grizzly castors have brakes, I doubt I'll ever use them. In fact, I wished I motorized the darn thing:)

Bob

Michael Conner
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I like it! I am in the process of building a solar kiln. I had been planning on building a kiln cart to make loading the kiln easier. I had been thinking of having the cart made out of steel, but after looking at your design and thinking about it, I see no reason why I couldn't make one from wood and save myself some cash in the process. I'll also likely make a cart for the same purpose as you. Thanks for sharing!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-15-2006, 4:35 PM
Who needs brakes:eek:. Even though the Grizzly castors have brakes, I doubt I'll ever use them. In fact, I wished I motorized the darn thing:)

Bob
Well I was thinking more along the lines of............

"once that sucker gets moving............ :eek: "

:D

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2006, 5:02 PM
Well I was thinking more along the lines of............

"once that sucker gets moving............ :eek: "

:DYeah, me too. My driveway slopes to the street...it would stop before it got too far after that, but I'd need a winch to get it back up to the garage.:eek:

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 8:50 PM
That will do it Bob, nice job!

corey