PDA

View Full Version : A custom Pen

Stephen Hibbs
06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
A guy at school drew up a design for a pen and I made it as best I could. I screwed up a few points of the shape by not curving it enough, but not bad for a first try. The wood is Padauk from Dennis P. (This is that pen I referred to) and finished with a few coats of polyeurethane. I'm wondering though, if I use that HUT polish will I get a better shine faster?

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Looks good Stephen..!!!!! I hope you find some good use of those blanks. I tried to toss in some really good ones for ya. Thanks for the pic of your progess. You're doing GOOD!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Interesting design.........Nice work Stephen!

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
That is a different design Stephen. Great job.

Stephen Hibbs
06-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes it is an interesting form, I didn't design it, but I gave him what he wanted, more or less. Dennis, I noticed how nice many of those blanks were while cutting them up these past two days, they really are beautiful, thank you.

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Yes it is an interesting form, I didn't design it, but I gave him what he wanted, more or less. Dennis, I noticed how nice many of those blanks were while cutting them up these past two days, they really are beautiful, thank you.

Well...if you need more....you know how to get them. ;) :D

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Nice job Steven! Hut PP will shine it up but it won't have long lasting staying power. Any of your finishes such as lacquer, poly etc. need time to cure before you put a top coat of any kind on them. Lacquer should sit for 5 days at least and poly depending on the kind needs several days as well. I avoid touching the acutal blanks during curing. Then mount back on the lathe and polish. Hope this helps.
Corey

Stephen Hibbs
06-15-2006, 12:44 AM
So if I do the main coat with poly, what do i used to polish it and shine it further?

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Stephen there are a number of good top coats. Hut PP, many like that, Renisance Wax (sp?) TSW, plain old paste wax and a many more. I personally use TSW (trade secret for wood) available at several different pen kit retailers. Any of them will do the job. Hope this helps.
Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-15-2006, 9:28 PM
Very interesting. Now, that was a bear to do!

Bruce

Stephen Hibbs
06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
I gave the pen to him today and he loved it! he had designed it (the curved part at the top) to fit into the web between thumb and forefinger. I'm glad he got his drawing right because it makes me look good :) It took about an hour or so to make, verses the usual 20 minutes required on my standard shape, but not as bad as I had expected. Fortunately that padauk is a dream to work with.