PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Bowl With Textured Rim

Raymond Overman
06-14-2006, 11:43 PM
This hunk of cherry has been sitting around my woodpile for ages. I forgot that it was burl and it was under a few other pieces. I found it the other day and finally got around to turning it this evening.

Cherry Burl
8 1/2" x 3 1/4"
Danish Oil

http://www.overmanshop.com/images/cherry%20burl%20bowl%20textured%20rim%201.jpg

http://www.overmanshop.com/images/cherry%20burl%20bowl%20textured%20rim%202.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Raymond that is a beautiful piece. What did you texture the rim with? Simple form but beautiful.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Beautiful bowl Raymond! I like that burl!

Raymond Overman
06-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Bernie, it was textured with one of the Sorby texturing wheels ($29). I made my own handle for it though instead of buying the $170 kit.

Raymond that is a beautiful piece. What did you texture the rim with? Simple form but beautiful.

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Nice piece there Raymond..!!!! Can I come look through your wood pile? ;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks Raymond. I appreciate it.

Raymond Overman
06-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Sure, come on Dennis. If you find anything interesting in there you just have to split it with me though. If you find one of those no shouldered, slippery, black king cotton mouth water rattler mocasins though you can keep it.

I know for a fact there's some black walnut, cherry, pecan (spalted and unspalted), hickory, peach, pear, persimmon, cedar, oak burl, punky dogwood burl, and maybe a stray piece of maple in there. I just have to get around to turning it instead of collecting I guess.

Nice piece there Raymond..!!!! Can I come look through your wood pile? ;) :D

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 12:30 AM
That's a nice one Raymond, beautiful wood too and I like the texturing detail.

Corey

Michael Stafford
06-15-2006, 6:35 AM
I like everything about it, Raymond. The wood is just wonderful and the texturing adds another dimension of interest. Good job!:D

Glenn Hodges
06-15-2006, 6:57 AM
Georgous wood and treatment there of by you makes it even more so.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-15-2006, 1:56 PM
Raymond, that is a lovely bowl. Great wood, and the form and embellishment sets it off wonderfully!

Mike Ramsey
06-15-2006, 2:34 PM
Beautiful bowl Raymond! Looks a lot like Red Gum.

Vaughn McMillan
06-15-2006, 3:10 PM
Nice looking bowl, Raymond. I like the burl a lot.

...If you find one of those no shouldered, slippery, black king cotton mouth water rattler mocasins though you can keep it...

I hear those are some mean ol' snakes. If they bite you, you'll die before you can say their complete name. ;)

- Vaughn

Ernie Nyvall
06-15-2006, 5:54 PM
Real nice job Raymond. I think I would have angled the texture down to the right instesd of up to the left though, but that's just me.:rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-15-2006, 9:03 PM
Lokin' Real good there, Raymond!

Bruce

Raymond Overman
06-16-2006, 8:16 AM
You surprise me Ernie. I always took you for a left angler.

Technically though Ernie, while the piece was spinning on the lathe, I applied an up and to the right texture. The texturing tool's cut started from the outside edge of the bowl and moved toward the center creating the up and to the left pattern only when the bowl was set upright.

Disclaimer: It is important to note that this texture does not imply or endorse any political affiliation, show support for any views of any group of people, or make any statement. It is placed on the rim of the bowl strictly for entertainment purposes only. This bowl should be enjoyed by everyone, left anglers and right anglers alike. Cross-hatchers may enjoy this bowl as well but should note that tilting the bowl back and forth will not result in the desired effect. Please bowl responsibly.

Real nice job Raymond. I think I would have angled the texture down to the right instesd of up to the left though, but that's just me.:rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
06-17-2006, 5:55 PM
You surprise me Ernie. I always took you for a left angler.

Hey... you lookin to get poked with a stick???

Ernie