PDA

View Full Version : Is it a turning, fret saw, or basketry?

Earl Eyre
06-14-2006, 10:15 PM
As usual, I should have taken many more pictures to make this project clearer. First I turned the disk, inlcuding a slot for the staves (the vertical pieces for the weaving). It is from a piece of figured maple--10" x 1/2". Then I did the fret work heart on the scroll saw. I turned the mold out of an old 4x4 that I cut up and glued together. The disk then got screwed onto the mold in the indentation area. Finally the basket is woven in a traditional Nantucket Lighthouse Basket method over the mold. I will be glad to give more explanation but the question remains: which craft is primary? I think it is turning, because both the disk and the mold could not be done without the lathe. Well, guess it all could be done without a lathe, but I chose to do them on my trusty PM.

Earl

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I dunno what to call it other than very cool. (OK, maybe a few other superlatives, but you get the idea.) Nice combination of media, and superbly executed. And yes, more progress pics would be great if you have them. If not...oh well, next time.

- Vaughn

Raymond Overman
06-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I think that would be called art. It wouldn't hold soup and you wouldn't want to cover up that fine fret work so it's not utilitarian, so it must be art. I guess some may argue that's it is fine craft. Either way it's a great piece and you do excellent work.

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I am with Vaughn, it is just plain cool!!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Awesome Earl. I like it. Don't think it would hold ice cream either. Beautiful job.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Absolutely fantastic Earl! Beautiful!

Jim Ketron
06-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Nice work!
Beautiful Piece!