PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tools--what I chose

Matt Meiser
06-14-2006, 9:58 PM
As a followup to my previous thread, below are the turning tools I picked up over the weekend as well as one I picked up today. I ended up with a 1/2" fingernail grind bowl gouge and a 1-1/2" bowl scraper both from Sorby. Not much more than Pinnacle with a discount at Hartville Hardware. I also picked up the double calipers there and the large Starret calipers the next day at a flea market for $7. Today I picked up the Pinnacle 3/16" diamond parting tool. I'll probably end up ordering the Benjamin's Best 1/2" spindle gouge since Woodcraft doesn't have the Pinnacle in stock right now do to the recall.

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 10:22 PM
That'll get you turning!

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
congrats on the new tools Matt. I have the PSI 1/2 spindle gouge. That and a 3/4 spindle gouge are m y go to gouges.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Nice haul Matt! I've got my eyes on one of those bowl scrapers. I may have it before the weekend is over.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Congrats on the tools Matt. I do have a lot of Benjamins Best. I like them real well especially the price.

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Congrats on the new tools Matt.....I think you are very well on your way. Nice haul. :D

CPeter James
06-24-2006, 7:47 PM
I just got my first Benjamin's Best gouge and it was much better than I expected. This one was a trial, I WILL be getting several more. The fit and finish may not be as good as the $70 ones, but it was more than adequate. I rigged up a sharpening rig on my 6x89 sander and with 180 grit paper, it came out real nice. What a difference sharp tools make. A paraphrase from Jon Siegel " An edge no matter how painstakingly acheived, is only temporary". You need to be able to easily sharpen the tools.

CPeter

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-25-2006, 5:00 PM
Great gloat,. Matt. Enjoy the tools.