PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Danish Modern Style Furniture

Thomas Penrose
06-14-2006, 8:09 PM
I just got this credenza and and have had to strip it due to a very poorly done refinish. Now that I have the old finish off of this mostly veneered piece, I would like to apply a finish that would be most characteristic of this period of furniture (I believe it is a teak veneer that is used here). I am not sure if this would be a varnish, BLO, etc. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 9:16 PM
Why, "Danish Oil" of course....:D

Which you can make by mixing 1/3 Mineral Spirits, 1/3 oil-based varnish and 1/3 BLO. You could also just use a wiping varnish for nearly the same effect after one application of BLO. To make the wiping varnish, do a 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and oil-based varnish. Use lint-free towels or rags to wipe on coats of either of these mixtures. Finish the finish after it cures with white 3M pads or 0000 steel wool and wax.

Thomas Penrose
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot, that sounds perfect.

Howard Acheson
06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
As Jim has said, "Danish Oil" will work. Early on, the Scandinavian style furnature had and oil/varnish finish. Watco Danish Oil is very close but you can make your own using the formula Jim supplied.

In the late 1960's most Scandinavian manufactures changed to lacquer then to a two part pre-catalized lacquer.

I think a couple of coats of the oil/varnish will give you a nice, serviceable finish.