PDA

View Full Version : New Stanley planes - what's different?

Perry Schmidt
09-12-2003, 12:50 PM
OK, gotta ask...been doing a little bit of research on the history of the Stanely planes - what's changed, etc. over the years. I can find a nice time-line for the Stanely Bailey planes, type 1 through type 20, which stopped in 1967.

What happened after that?? I know they still make them. They're now called 'contractor planes' and are numbered 90x (e.g. 904 for the smoother...) Granted I think they only make the #4 and #5...maybe the #6. But not sure.

What's changed form the 1967 planes produced?? What are the big differences??

Thanks,

Perry

Tom Scott
09-12-2003, 1:33 PM
Perry,
I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding of the biggest difference is in the castings, and specifically, in the curing of the castings. The older Stanleys were cast, then allowed to cure (i.e. warp, twist, find their natural state) and then were machined. This meant that once they were machined flat and square that they tended to stay that way better. In the newer models this curing time is eliminated. Thus, a newly cast plane body is milled and put out for sale, and as it sits there will warp, twist, and generally find it's natural state.
I also believe that the general milling was better/smoother in the older planes. Similar with the blades.
Then, there are the Bedrocks. Some think they are over-hyped. I have a couple (a #5 & #8) and really like them. On these the frog design is completely different because they are fully bedded to the plane body instead of sitting on only the 2 runners/guides. These also have the frog adjustment screws behind the frog so that you can adjust it with the blade assembly in place.
Besides my L-N #4 1/2 and #102, and my mid-80's Record #4 (my 1st plane), the remainder of my bench planes are pre-WWII Stanleys which have tuned up to be really nice workers.

Tom

Perry Schmidt
09-12-2003, 2:41 PM
Perry,
I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding of the biggest difference is in the castings, and specifically, in the curing of the castings. The older Stanleys were cast, then allowed to cure (i.e. warp, twist, find their natural state) and then were machined. This meant that once they were machined flat and square that they tended to stay that way better. In the newer models this curing time is eliminated. Thus, a newly cast plane body is milled and put out for sale, and as it sits there will warp, twist, and generally find it's natural state.
I also believe that the general milling was better/smoother in the older planes. Similar with the blades.
Then, there are the Bedrocks. Some think they are over-hyped. I have a couple (a #5 & #8) and really like them. On these the frog design is completely different because they are fully bedded to the plane body instead of sitting on only the 2 runners/guides. These also have the frog adjustment screws behind the frog so that you can adjust it with the blade assembly in place.
Besides my L-N #4 1/2 and #102, and my mid-80's Record #4 (my 1st plane), the remainder of my bench planes are pre-WWII Stanleys which have tuned up to be really nice workers.

Tom

Thanks tom - that's info I didn't know. Not having actually looked at an older Bailey - just from reading and pictures, I just couldn't see the difference. The frog looked the same, etc. And it sounds like they are very similar/the same from the design standpoint. And I did see the difference in the Bailey and Bedrock design. But didn't know about the casting. Very interesting - and helpful.

Thanks.

Perry