PDA

View Full Version : Some New Pens... New Flavors...

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 6:43 PM
We have Goofy Grape, Bonkin Blue Berry and Rootin Tootin Rasbery :D

Several dyed box elder burl pens here, 2 Flap Top American Ball Points and 2 PSI Comfort Pens. All finished with lacquer and TSW. A word on these Berea Flat Top American Dbl Twists. I now have gotten 4 out of 7 that I have turned to work properly. I had 2 others ready that I couldn't take photos of as they flat don't work. Same scenario... two twist it you needed pliers practically. I ran the pen mill down them, I sanded the transmission, I did everything possible and they didn't work once assmebled. I am pretty much done with this pen. Now what do I do with the 5 kits on the way! Anyway, these all work and are for the ladies at work.

Thanks for looking.
Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/ViloteComfort.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/BurgundyComfort.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/BurgundyFTA.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/CobaltFTA.jpg

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 7:17 PM
Those pens look sweet (pun intended). I like the look of the PSI kit, especially the one in the first pic. (The Bonkin' Blueberry, I think).

Glad to see I'm not the only guy who's had problems with the double twist flattop pen kit. I have one more of them to use up, but the first one sure ended up being a waste of a nice pen blank. Seeing someone like you, who has turned more pens than me, still having little better than 50% success rate with that kit, I think I steer away from it in the future. Life's too short to mess around with finicky pen kits. ;)

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 7:24 PM
Vaughn the last one is the cobalt blue one, first one is actually a violet one. I agree, I have tried everything I can think of with this kit and it's a crap shoot. The biggest thing is they are 5.00 a kit and then the blanks I used were 5.00 a piece so 20.00 shot in 2 kits. I had some 2 gold box elder burl ones done that looked cool... just don't work! I like this style however, so maybe I will try the Craft Supply versions.

Corey

Keith Burns
06-14-2006, 8:14 PM
Corey, what can I say but they are all perfect ! Great job:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2006, 8:28 PM
Outstanding Corey.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 8:28 PM
Corey you hit it out of the park with those. Absolutely beautiful. Great job Buddy.

Rob Littleton
06-14-2006, 8:33 PM
Not dogging PSI at all as I'm sure this story isn't the same for everyone but, I was using PSI pen kits for while (even the 7mm slimline) and I got to throw away every 8th or 9th pen on average. I switched to buying from Arizona Silohouette and have NEVER had a failure. Even the click pens for PSI had a tendancy to stick and end up in the garbage but the clicks from AS have never let me down.

I just think Az Silhouette has a better quality kit and I think he gets them from Berea or Craft Supply.

Again, not bashing PSI, just my findings too. Nor am I associated.........blah blah blah

Thanks

We have Goofy Grape, Bonkin Blue Berry and Rootin Tootin Rasbery :D

Several dyed box elder burl pens here, 2 Flap Top American Ball Points and 2 PSI Comfort Pens. All finished with lacquer and TSW. A word on these Berea Flat Top American Dbl Twists. I now have gotten 4 out of 7 that I have turned to work properly. I had 2 others ready that I couldn't take photos of as they flat don't work. Same scenario... two twist it you needed pliers practically. I ran the pen mill down them, I sanded the transmission, I did everything possible and they didn't work once assmebled. I am pretty much done with this pen. Now what do I do with the 5 kits on the way! Anyway, these all work and are for the ladies at work.

Thanks for looking.
Corey

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 8:47 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Rob, actually the Berea Flat Tops are from Arizona Silhouette. I think Berea makes a fine kit, however this one and several others made by Berea definitely have a problem.
I have made approximately 30 pens from PSI and they work just as well as my Berea kits and in the case of the Flat Tops the tranny's don't even compare. Click pens are notoriously bad kits from what I have read however the new Berea click pen is very nice from from the reviews and it is on my list to get. Each manufactuer has it's duds.. the Flat Top is defiitely one of Bereas. I am calling Larry at Berea tomorrow to see what he has to say.
Thanks for the kind words.
Corey

Corey

Bob Noles
06-14-2006, 9:22 PM
Corey,

I think your pen turning skills have escalated beyond words. Those are some really beautiful looking pens. The fit and finish of the end result are fantastic.

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey thanks Bob! I appreciate that. I am having fun with them and they are addicting. I remember when i was even afraid to turn the damn thing on!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Corey......I have to agree with Bob. You've taken the pen turning to a science! Nice pens!

Roy Wall
06-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Corey -
I can see why you've been absent on the flatwork scene for a while......

Those are terrific!!!!

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys. Roy, not absent, I just haven't posted anything for awhile. Still check in and read alot. I am working on a new box though :) over in flatland part of the shop ( 2 feet from the turning center). What is nice and makes it hard to get away from the lathe is the ability to take a project to finished product in the same day with the exception of finishing. But you will find out soon!

Corey

Phil St.Germain
06-15-2006, 9:54 AM
Corey,

I have had the same problem with those kits so I just stopped making them. Then I found that the trans from the CSUS kits fit and work great. I was able to save five pens from the junk pile.

Phil

Ken Salisbury
06-15-2006, 1:07 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 381036" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Phil St.Germain</TD><TD class=alt2>Corey,

I have had the same problem with those kits so I just stopped making them.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 380786" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Corey Hallagan</TD><TD class=alt2>Each manufactuer has it's duds.. the Flat Top is defiitely one of Bereas. I am calling Larry at Berea tomorrow to see what he has to say.
Thanks for the kind words.
Corey

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 380764" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Rob Littleton</TD><TD class=alt2>Not dogging PSI at all as I'm sure this story isn't the same for everyone but, I was using PSI pen kits for while (even the 7mm slimline) and I got to throw away every 8th or 9th pen on average.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 380694" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Corey Hallagan</TD><TD class=alt2>I have tried everything I can think of with this kit and it's a crap shoot. The biggest thing is they are 5.00 a kit and then the blanks I used were 5.00 a piece so 20.00 shot in 2 kits. I had some 2 gold box elder burl ones done that looked cool... just don't work! I like this style however,

Corey

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 380688" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Vaughn McMillan</TD><TD class=alt2>Those pens look sweet (pun intended). I like the look of the PSI kit, especially the one in the first pic. (The Bonkin' Blueberry, I think).

Glad to see I'm not the only guy who's had problems with the double twist flattop pen kit. I have one more of them to use up, but the first one sure ended up being a waste of a nice pen blank. Seeing someone like you, who has turned more pens than me, still having little better than 50% success rate with that kit, I think I steer away from it in the future. Life's too short to mess around with finicky pen kits. ;)

- Vaughn

Most of the problems are actually OPERATOR ERRORS (sorry):).

See my new thread on this issue: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38209

Mike Ramsey
06-15-2006, 2:46 PM
Great looking Pens Mr. Pen Meister!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-15-2006, 3:19 PM
Corey, You did a wonderful job on these. and great pics as well.:)

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 7:28 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Ken, appreciate the help as well!

Corey