PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box Makers - Necklace Carousel?

glenn bradley
06-14-2006, 3:55 PM
I'm looking for something along the lines of what's in the picture here. These things are around $35 apiece and the design calls for about a dozen. . . ouch$$$. I've dismissed teacup hooks as 30 - 40 of these hanging from a couple of dainty shelves in a wall mounted jewelry cabinet will look like someone put their nail gun on 'auto' and went to town!

Have any of you who dabble in jewelry boxes come across an alternate idea? The LOML has a LOT of necklaces. Not diamonds and pearls mind you but she does love her necklaces. Trying to put 30 to 40 hangers in a shallow wall mounted cabinet poses a challenge. Any thoughts from you ingenious devils are appreciated.

Chip Charnley
06-14-2006, 4:07 PM
Seems to me that something turned in the same or contrasting wood with some type of brass post inserted at various points around it like in the above picture would do the trick at a fraction of the cost.

Jim Tobias
06-14-2006, 4:15 PM
Glenn,
I made a couple of wall mounted Jewelry cases and I put swing out rods of Ebony that had a few notches cut into it along its length. The necklaces can be hung over each notch. If you put then at different heights along the vertical side of the case, you can hang necklaces of different lengths. I used those little wodden swivels to attach the rods. I think you can buy at (Lee Valley?) The little protrusions on the bottom are ebony and are fro rings.The panel in the doors is actually a screen panel that can be and is is used to hang pierced earrings on.
See attached photo.
This is at least one idea.

Jim

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 4:49 PM
Seems to me that something turned in the same or contrasting wood with some type of brass post inserted at various points around it like in the above picture would do the trick at a fraction of the cost.

I agree with Chip and if you don't do turning then maybe this is an excuse to start..:D

everett lowell
06-14-2006, 6:07 PM
Glenn,I've been looking at the same carasel from Brusso for my jewlery box project,about 23.00 dollars in all the catalogs I've been looking at.Now I feel cheep not wanting to buy it-I only need one! Holy smokes-twelve of them:eek: too much for my buget. Sorry I dont have any ideas for you but I'll be watching this thread closely. Good luck with your project and please post pics when she's done.:)

Dan Stuewe
06-14-2006, 6:18 PM
Good luck with your project and please post pics when she's done.:)

That's the problem, "she's" never going to be "done"! :rolleyes:
Whatever you do, don't design for her current collection - double it!

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 6:43 PM
Glenn,I've been looking at the same carasel from Brusso for my jewlery box project,about 23.00 dollars in all the catalogs I've been looking at.$20.60 each for five or more at Lee Valley...still not cheap, but way better than $35 each.

They also have what looks like just the brass 'peg' part of that widget for $2.90 each.

glenn bradley
06-14-2006, 6:58 PM
As usual, you guys have come through with flying colors. I'm starting to get a vision of swing-arms and brass widgets. As far as how to scale the body count; I'm limiting this thing to 36" overall height and about 16" wide. The prototype I built got painted white and stuck on the wall in my shop. It holds quite a few 1 qt. cans of finish. Any bigger and it will REALLY look silly. Jewelry box, yeah, right; jewelry walk-in-closet.