PDA

View Full Version : The quest for the perfect goblet continues...

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-14-2006, 3:23 PM
Man, I'm having a lot of fun turning these little puppies! My hollowing seems to be getting better, and I got the bowl on this one so thin that I can see light through it. :) Knowing that, it's time to get some calipers!

The piece measures about 3.75" tall by about 2.5" wide at its widest point.

Photographic evidence:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-14-2006, 3:59 PM
Looks really neat, what kind of wood is that, it sure tells a story!

Cheers!

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 3:59 PM
Very nice. I need to make a few more of those.

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 6:15 PM
You're making great progress, Henry...this one's better than the previous ones. I second Stu's question about the type of wood. Looks neat whatever it is.

Are you using a faceplate to mount these in the lathe?

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 6:34 PM
Nice job Henry! Looks like ambrosia something to me!

Corey

doug webb
06-14-2006, 6:55 PM
Better and better.......Keep them coming

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2006, 8:20 PM
Very nice Henry. I like this one the best so far.

Ernie

Keith Burns
06-14-2006, 8:24 PM
Ditto what Ernie said, each one gets better:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 8:25 PM
Henry that is a nice job. This one is the best so far. Keep'em coming.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-15-2006, 1:55 PM
Thanks again, folks! I appreciate the support and encouragement. My wife also made the comment that this one was my best so far.

Stu and Vaughn: I still don't know what kind of wood this is, although I'm starting to think it's some sort of cherry. From what I remember from last year, it had small, berry-like red-to-black fruit and pointed ovoid leaves on a single stem with little or no serration. I don't know whether or not it's spalted or has ambrosia tracks, however I do know that the tree was becoming injured by the shed and fenceline, with which it was fouling---that may have resulted in some interesting patterns in the living wood. The trunk wood also turned with a sweet, fruity scent. The pattern seen on the base of the goblet is rather consistant in the (apparent) transition from heart to sapwood in both branch and trunk---consistant in that it exists, not that it is identical. :)

Vaughn, I did mount this one up on a faceplate. I just yesterday ordered a Grizzly chuck (along with a new live center for the tailstock---mine runs out fairly badly) and hope to be playing with that new toy soon!

Thanks again, everyone!