PDA

View Full Version : New adventure----last pics added

Gary Max
06-14-2006, 3:07 PM
I turned a few of these last year with good results. The materail is hard to come by. I cut these last night and just got finished power washing them. This is the root system off a monster Cherry tree. It had blown over a couple of years ago and everything is still nice and solid. I see where there is one real nice big bowl and a bunch of pen blanks. Here is a pic of what I have at this point.
I will add more as I get things done if there is a interest.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-14-2006, 3:20 PM
Oh, man, Gary, that's gonna make some honkin' funky sweet turnings! Hot biscuits, man!

:)

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 6:18 PM
I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the finished projects that come from those hunks o' wood.

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 6:33 PM
Yup, that should make some nice pens and such. Can't wait to see'em!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2006, 7:53 PM
Nice haul Gary. Looks like there might be some wavy wood grain in there.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 8:33 PM
Nice haul Gary. Looks like there should be some nice things turned out of that.

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 9:07 PM
That should result in some outstanding figure, Gary! (But remember, there may be rocks embedded in root-stock...wear serious protection and be wary!)

Gary Max
06-15-2006, 7:57 AM
Did someone say Pen---heck that's the first thing that came to mind after I got the bowl blank cut out.
Oh Jim-----I hope I find a few rocks or at least one about the size of a quarter---I will leave it in the bowl and charge extra for it--hehehehe

Jim Becker
06-15-2006, 9:58 AM
Oh Jim-----I hope I find a few rocks or at least one about the size of a quarter---I will leave it in the bowl and charge extra for it--hehehehe

You'll need to charge extra since you'll also be grinding of a bit of metal on your tooling to restore it... ;) Seriously, pay attention to this. Rocks lodged in the wood do pose a safety issue if the "let go" and become a flying object or cause your tool to jump in an unfortunate direction.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-15-2006, 1:59 PM
Gary, it looks like that root ball is going to be a... well... ball for you. :) Great looking pen!

Gary Max
06-15-2006, 6:31 PM
Today progress----it is taking a DNA bath now.

Corey Hallagan
06-15-2006, 7:15 PM
That stuff makes a pretty pen Gary! Nice!

Corey

Glenn Hodges
06-15-2006, 8:48 PM
I know it will be worth all the work. Man you picked a cool time of the year to dig it up. Send more pictures of the end results.

Gary Max
06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Fresh from the DNA bath----I will start a new tread in a couple of weeks to show you the finished product---all that's left is sanding and finish once it's dry