PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Michael Handrinos
06-14-2006, 1:09 PM
Hello. I've been lurking here for awhile now and decided it was time to finally sign on. There's a lot of talented folks here!
I just started getting a shop together and ran into a problem maybe some one is familiar with. I have a PM 54a jointer and can't seem to get the pulleys aligned. I loosened the bolts inside the stand and either the motor slides all the way down putting tension on the belt and cants or it's to tight and stays put. The bolts are a bear to get at insde and in the dust chute. Can't hold the motor up and turn the bolts at the same time. Any ideas?

thanks in advance
Mike

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 1:25 PM
Welcome, Michael!

Can't you just loosen one pulley on it's shaft and move it in or out to align? Check for a set screw, etc.

David Duke
06-14-2006, 2:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael. As Jim said, if the axis of both shafts are parallel simply slide the pulleys in or out on the respective shaft.

Michael Handrinos
06-14-2006, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the fast replies.:cool: I could loosen a set screw to get them parallel once I get motor close to level within the cabinet. Loosening the bolts that hold the motor/ bracket to the dust chute puts tension on the belt with the weight of the motor but it drops down more on one side. Then I try to push it up on that side to level it and the tension goes off the belt or I can't reach/turn the bolts while holding it .:( I need 3 hands :eek: Frustrating.

Mike

Andy Fox
06-14-2006, 2:46 PM
Welcome Mike!

My Delta jointer motor is similar. I used an 18" or so long piece of scrap wood to pry and then wedge the motor into the proper position while I tightened the bolts. I think I held the wood with one hand and tightened with the other. A helper and a quick-grip clamp would be helpful too.