PDA

View Full Version : Dung beetle question

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Seriously. Bear in mind we live in a reclaimed pasture....

Beetles are all over the Saint Bernard pooh...it'll seldom sit more than a day before they do whatever it is they do with it...but they leave the small dog's pooh alone. Always been that way, and always been curious to me. Puppy still on puppy food, but the Cocker eats the same food as the Saints...so I'm assuming it doesn't have anything to do with that.

Anybody? :confused:

Chris Padilla
06-14-2006, 11:52 AM
So you have a St. Bernard, a Cocker Spaniel, and a puppy (what breed) right now? Do they take the puppy poop?

I'm thinking that if you get this figured out, you could breed/sell dung beetles to little kids who love to have dogs but HATE cleaning up after them! :D

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
http://www.signforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/jawdrop.gif (javascript:emoticon(':jawdrop:', 'smid_38'))Sometimes it's hard to believe the topics that appear on this forum.

Around here we have the "sh__ eating slugs" that are brown and about 6" long.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
TWO Saints, the Cocker, a puppy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and another Cavalier on the way. And no, they leave the small stuff alone.

I know this is ripe for comedy, but...:(

Cecil Arnold
06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
TWO Saints, the Cocker, a puppy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and another Cavalier on the way. And no, they leave the small stuff alone.

I know this is ripe for comedy, but...:(

Or maybe just ripe??

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Sigh....:(

Chris Padilla
06-14-2006, 1:54 PM
LOL

Hey, I found it quite interesting...try some Googling, KC! :)

Rob Russell
06-14-2006, 3:33 PM
My guess would be that one of the dogs digests the food more. What do the dung beetles eat - digested or undigested food?

Baby elephants eat some of momma's dung to get their digestive tracts started with the enzymes and all that stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the St. Bernard's system that doesn't digest the food as well and that's what the dung beatles are after.

The above is speculation on my part - nothing more (except for the factoid about baby elephants ...)

Rob

ps - you said this whole topic was "ripe" for comedy, so ya sorta opened the door. Now we just have to wait for people to pile it on ... :D

Roger Everett
06-14-2006, 4:35 PM
Please!--Somebody come up with the answer to this perplexing question. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight with the solution to this crucial matter.
Roger

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 5:08 PM
Sounds like the name for a Punk band..:eek:

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2006, 5:17 PM
I did some research and found these facts that should clear it all up:

"Digestibility, expressed as a percent, is a measure of the amount of food retained in the body after it has been eaten. For example, if a dog eats 8 oz. of food, and produces 3 oz. of stool, the food's digestibility is 63% (the difference between the weight of food eaten and the weight of stool produced, divided by the weight of the food).

A dry pet food with 10% moisture logically contains 90% dry matter. Look at the label and check the protein level. Say, for example, that the protein level reads 20%. To get the dry matter basis, divide the 20% protein by the 90% dry matter. This calculation yields a protein value of 22% on a dry matter basis.

Now let us compare this dry pet food to canned pet food with 80% moisture (and 20% dry matter). The canned food label shows 5% protein. Dividing the 5% protein by 20% dry matter results in 25% protein on a dry matter basis. This specific comparison shows that the canned food has more protein per pound on a dry matter basis than the dry food."

Norman Hitt
06-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Whatever the reason, it most likely has something to do with incubating/feeding, or other support to hatch the egg/eggs that they lay in the Dung Ball they roll up. Guess those Dung Beetles really know their $&+! when it comes to Nutrition.:rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
06-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Maaaaannnnnn....talk about an educational way of being well rounded. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :D