PDA

View Full Version : Yates Lathe Question

Larry Fox
06-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I have resisted the strong temptation for quite some time now but I am considering picking up a lathe. I ran across this guy 6065793253 on our (least) favorite auction site. However, I know almost nothing about lathes and I typically do research before taking a run at something.

1) Does this item belong to a Creeker - if so, purchase is pretty much a no-brainer as it is likely in great shape.
2) Is it a decent machine at a decent price?
3) Availability of parts.
4) Is it a capable machine? In other words, will a beginning turner outgrow it in a short amount of time?

Man, my wife is going to kill me. :)

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Larry I am a fairly new at wood turning been at it for a little over a year so I am not an authority but the only question I would ask is what is the sixe and thread of the spindle. This will determine how hard it will be to get face plates and chucks for the lathe both of which you will need to turn bowl, boxes etc. whith the tooling it has you can turn spindles and that about it. I'd post the question on the turning forum and see if anyone there knows this lathe.

The price isn't bad but you will end up spending a few hundred more if you want to turn anything except spindles.

lou sansone
06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
it is a very nice machine at a decent price. It is a good beginner lathe, and it appears to be able to turn outboard. You will be able to turn spindles ( up to a 12 " swing ) between centers and you will be able to turn outboard using a face plate. Many of these machines used 1"-8 tpi and face plates are easy to find. I say buy it, provided it is a single phase unit or if you don't mind changing the motor out. As for parts, yates is no longer in business, but I doubt that any part needs replacing that you can't get from a bearing house or mcmaster carr.

lou

Larry Conely
06-14-2006, 1:10 PM
I thought Yates American was currently in business building industrial equipment. A few years ago I acquired a 16" Yates bandsaw built in the '30s and restored it. I called the factory in Wisconsin to seek information. They were extremely helpful over the phone and even sent me reproduction blueprints of the saw and all the accessories at no cost. I also purchased new tires and some odds and ends from them. The Yates is an incredible saw and the factory is very pleasant to do business with.

Larry

CPeter James
06-14-2006, 1:13 PM
Actually, hope it is 3 phase, because if it is you can add a $165 Veriable Frequency Drive that will handle up to 1 HP. That will give you really great speed control.

CPeter

Jeff Horton
06-14-2006, 1:27 PM
I own a J-Line which was made my BroadHead Garret. Their kissing cousins to Yates American. I forget the exact relationship but I think they bought them out? Anyway they make good machines. I really like mine.

This is probably a good lathe but price seems high or at the top end for this lathe to me and I love old machines. I think I paid about that for mine and then had it shipped. This does not appear to be as substantial as mine or near as heavy. But I say that based on the photos. I have not seen his model.

A lot depends on what is available in your area and what you plan on spinning. If your going to do bowls from rough blanks like chainsawed logs I would concerned about it's weight. If you want to do spindle work I wouldn't be concerned.

Make sure it's not a 3 phase as many of the school lathes were. But if it is you can add a VFD for variable speed control. If it is a step pulley setup it probably spins to fast on the lowest speed for out of round blanks.

If the spindle is 1 1/8" as mine you have only one choice in chucks. Oneway Stronghold. Faceplate's for an Oliver lathe should fit and you can find them on Ebay occasionally.

Pat Salter
06-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I own a J-Line which was made my BroadHead Garret. Their kissing cousins to Yates American. I forget the exact relationship but I think they bought them out? Anyway they make good machines. I really like mine.

This is probably a good lathe but price seems high or at the top end for this lathe to me and I love old machines. I think I paid about that for mine and then had it shipped. This does not appear to be as substantial as mine or near as heavy. But I say that based on the photos. I have not seen his model.

A lot depends on what is available in your area and what you plan on spinning. If your going to do bowls from rough blanks like chainsawed logs I would concerned about it's weight. If you want to do spindle work I wouldn't be concerned.

Make sure it's not a 3 phase as many of the school lathes were. But if it is you can add a VFD for variable speed control. If it is a step pulley setup it probably spins to fast on the lowest speed for out of round blanks.

If the spindle is 1 1/8" as mine you have only one choice in chucks. Oneway Stronghold. Faceplate's for an Oliver lathe should fit and you can find them on Ebay occasionally.

I also am a J-line owner and agree with almost everything Jeff said except the chuck business. I bought mine from Penn State. price is a lot cheeper than stronghold.
I would buy it (if you haven't already, it shows as having been bought). I also love mine.

Jeff Horton
06-19-2006, 10:24 AM
.......... I bought mine from Penn State. price is a lot cheeper than stronghold.

Which Chuck did you buy Pat? I wasn't aware of anything else that would fit the 1 1/8 spindle.