PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Bowl

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Didn't realize how much it looked like a flying saucer until I turned it over to take the pictures.:cool: It photographs "heavy", feels a lot less clunky in person. Beech with walnut and cherry accents, 6-1/2"x1-5/8":
Question: anybody have a clue where those stripes came from? They didn't show up until the sealer dried.:eek:

Joe Fisher
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
That's way cool :)

Question: anybody have a clue where those stripes came from? They didn't show up until the sealer dried.:eek:

I'm going to guess it was excess sealer leaching out from the end grain of your 'plugs'.

-Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
All you need is a glass dome and that could be out of the Jetson!

Nice turning Lee.

I'd think it was somekind of bleed from the walnut and cherry caused when you sealed it......something with the sealer?

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I thought of some kind of bleed effect, but I would have expected that to be radial to the plugs and much more localized. The thing that's puzzling me is that the stripes aren't radial, they're rather precisely cross-grain to the plugs. What isn't obvious in the pictures is that, in the bottom of the inside, they stop precisely where the curve gets to the bottom of the plug as seen from the outside. (Did that make sense?)

And it's not a surface reflection effect, it's an actual color change.

It doesn't look bad, just interesting...localized radial bleed would make it a throw-away IMHO. Just wish I knew what caused it...

Dick Parr
06-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Great job Lee, that's another winner.

John Timberlake
06-14-2006, 1:06 PM
Great form. Love the turning and the accents. My guess is that the beech is leeching something out of the walnut and cherry (or glue) since it seem to go along the grain of the beech. But I have never seen it like this in any wood.

Corey Hallagan
06-14-2006, 1:53 PM
Nice work Lee!! That is pretty cool!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-14-2006, 3:13 PM
That is way to nifty for words, Lee!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-14-2006, 3:58 PM
Very neat.

Could the darker wood's dust be filling in the lighter wood's grain?

Makes it look like it is going fast! :D

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 4:59 PM
Could the darker wood's dust be filling in the lighter wood's grain?Don't think so, Stu. The photos don't really show how precise those stripes are.

Imagine this: take that same shape, but replace the beech part with clear plastic. Now shine a light through from one side, then the opposite side. Got that image in your head? Those stripes are the "shadows" cast by the walnut and cherry accents, about as accurately as if I drew them.

Andy Hoyt
06-14-2006, 4:59 PM
Glue and your laser?

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 5:02 PM
Glue and your laser?Nope, only thing the laser did was the signature and that went on last, after I convinced myself the stripes weren't going to sand/buff out.

Steve Hayes
06-14-2006, 5:04 PM
Lee, take a nap!:D We can't keep up. Looks fantastic!!!

Andy Hoyt
06-14-2006, 5:33 PM
Microwave?
What chemicals came in contact with it, including finish?
Subjected to an EM Pulse?
Phaser Blasts?
Did the plugs come from a reliable source?

Sorry, I got nuthin.

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 6:10 PM
Cool bowl, Lee. I have absolutely no idea how the stripes got on it, but the whole thing looks good. A phaser blasts sounds about as good as any of the other possibilities.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2006, 6:34 PM
Three words: "alien space bats".
(Not to be confused with the domestic space bats that normally infest my garage.)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2006, 8:16 PM
Well with it's size, if you threw it, it would be a flying saucer. Cool looking Lee.

The stripes are puzzling in that they are so defined.

Ernie

Keith Burns
06-14-2006, 8:22 PM
Great piece Lee. I did a piece with plugs like that a long time agobut didn't get them centered like you did. Great precise job with those. Now as far as the stripes........................................... ...

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 8:27 PM
Lee that is a good looking piece. Nice job. Like the accents a lot.