PDA

View Full Version : P&N Gouges?

Bill Grumbine
06-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Greetings all

Earlier in the week, the tang on my spindle roughing gouge snapped like a fresh potato chip. I was even turning a spindle! Anyway, I am looking at replacing it with a P&N gouge. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. Since I will be at a fairly large show next week, I will hold out until then to see if anyone might be selling them there. ;-)

Bill

Raymond Overman
06-14-2006, 10:35 AM
I like their bowl gouges quite a bit. I have three different sizes. 1/4, 1/2, and 5/8. Can't talk to their spindle or roughing gouges except for quality of the ones I own.

Joe Fisher
06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Bill,

I have 3 of them, and am quite happy with them. I think they take and keep a better edge than my Crown ProPM. Two of them have been at your place already :) Remember that little 1/4" flute bowl gouge I brought (P&N measures by bar size)?

The roughing gouge (which I also have) is very beefy. It may even have been made with Grumbine-esque turning in mind :) I use it a lot.

I'll be happy to bring them to Five Barns, if you can wait 'till then.

-Joe

Mike Vickery
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I have one of their bowl gouges and I think for the money they are the best value around. No experience with the spindle gouge.

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 2:04 PM
I haven't use the P&N gouges yet, but I recently acquired a P&N square scraper. I'm very impressed with the tool...after a quick touch-up on the grinder to take, um...the "factory newness" off the edge...it cut like the blazes. Nice steel. And since they all come un-handled, you can mount the thing in a handle that best meets your individual preferences without any hassle. (Unless you just bought your only spindle gouge and need to turn a spindle for the handle...LOL! )

Mark Cothren
06-14-2006, 2:43 PM
I have four of the bowl gouges and love 'em... don't have any of their other tools, though.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-14-2006, 3:55 PM
I've got the 1/2" bowl gouge and two of their scrapers, and I really like them, mine came handed, as the unhanded were less than $5 cheaper here in Japan.

I don't use the grinder on mine often, instead, I touch it up with a medium diamond stone, works great.

I'll be buying more of their tools.

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2006, 7:26 PM
I've got some of them and really like them. Can't tell them apart from my Crown tools. Go for it Bill...:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2006, 8:34 PM
Bill I have got several and made the handles. I love'em. Go for it Bill you won't be disappointed.

John Shuk
06-14-2006, 8:36 PM
They are very nice.

Bob Noles
06-14-2006, 9:24 PM
Bill,

From everything I have read in many places, I have yet to see anything negative posted about the P&N line. I believe it would be a safe bet to go with them.

Glenn Hodges
06-15-2006, 7:07 AM
Bill, I have been tooting their use for a good while. They seem to hold an edge as good as most others, and I like the open flutes. I find myself reaching for them often. I drilled the bottom of one of my handmade handles and pored in some lead which I like because I am a heavy handled guy. I use the big skew all the time.

Bill Grumbine
06-15-2006, 7:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! There is no emergency, and I have plenty of stuff to turn that does not need a roughing gouge (and I still have my 3/4" SRG) so I am going to wait until the symposium and see what is there. These are high on the list.

Bill

Ron Ainge
06-15-2006, 8:47 AM
Bill

I am at the Utah Woodturning Sym. right now and I saw a new gouge that is on the market from Henry Taylor tools that was being hyped here. THey say that they have a new process where they freeze (-195 degrees) the M2 steel for three days and it gives the ability for longer life and a sharper edge. I did not try it and I don't know anyone that has but I will bet that the same guy will be at the AAW meeting next week. you may want to check it out. I saw the presintation at Craft Supply and I know that they are carrying the tool now.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-15-2006, 9:16 AM
The Cryogenic treatment for tools and motor parts has been around for a while.

Decent reading here

Cold Cuts (http://www.300below.com/site/cuttingtool.html)

I've heard some great things about this process, but also some results that do not warrant the expense.

Cheers!

Steve Hayes
06-15-2006, 9:38 AM
We also do the Cryogenic treatment on our benchrest rifle barrels.

Jim Becker
06-15-2006, 9:56 AM
...so I am going to wait until the symposium and see what is there.

Not a horrible idea...there are often some nice deals available, but even if not, you'll get to fondle a lot of stuff in a way you just can't do when UPS or FexEX is involved in the transaction!

Michael Cody
06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Bill, did you call the manf ?? Seems to be a warranty problem here and they should replace it.. I have heard of others doing that..

Dick Strauss
06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Bill,
I've also heard very good things about P&N. However, make sure you check the fit and finish before buying. A friend bought one of their 1.25-1.5" roughing gouges that had finish problems. The smooth oval shape that you expect for the interior of the tool had a couple of ridges that hadn't been milled properly. These ridges left discontinuities in the cutting edge. He had to spend quite a while with a round diamond hone to knock down the ridges before the tool was ready for real use.

Glenn Hodges
06-15-2006, 8:56 PM
I tend to be a little heavy handled when I turn, but look who I took a lesson from. I broke a tang on a roughing gouge before I found P&N. Bill, one of the things I like about the roughing gouge is the round heavy tang on it. You will be able to see it at the symposium. You will not be breaking this things tang.

Bill Grumbine
06-16-2006, 9:05 AM
Bill, did you call the manf ?? Seems to be a warranty problem here and they should replace it.. I have heard of others doing that..

Mike, that might have been an option a long time ago, but the gouge has seen hundreds of hours of use and is seven years old. I also suspect that it had more to do with operator error than anything else, and I am one of those who firmly believes in taking the blame when it is rightly mine.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
06-16-2006, 9:07 AM
Glenn, me heavy handed? :p Never in a million years! :D :D Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply here. I had no idea about these gouges, but apparently they are fairly well known.

Bill