PDA

View Full Version : Balboa House Update

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 9:42 AM
Here are some recent pics of the house I have been working on and cabinets that I made.

Canopy and garage....poder Shedua solid cabinet.....powder lav i made....canopy....second master shedua cabinet with painted glass backsplash

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 9:55 AM
Here are some more pics....
This group shows the interior great room....exterior garage....Master Barh Vanity....Master (Stark) tub and $1600 faucet!.....Stark wall hung toilet and a Shedua solid wood cabinet I made

Marty Walsh
06-14-2006, 9:58 AM
Mark,

Breathtaking, simply breathtaking. THAT is what I'd call a view!!! :eek:

I really like the cabinetry too. Even better than the sketches you posted in the design forum. You did well with your modified #2 vanity design.

Can't wait to see more of the house....

- Marty -

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Folks, I recently toured this house when I visited Mark. The pictures are nice...but, wow...the place is really outstanding when you are, umn...standing in it. :D Incredible design, workmanship and execution. It "feels" so big due to the expansiveness of the view and open design, but is really a manageable space at the same time. The folks installing the kitchen were "Festoolians" and Mark's tile guys are the best on the planet, too...

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
and ...more pics.... bath vanity and mirror I made...Door handle I made Goncalo Alves....Siematic prep area w/ stainles backsplash.....My bath vanity cabinet at Gym...Paduck....powder Shedua cantilevered cabinet

Roy Wall
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I like the look!! The grain patterns are perfect........and the house looks pretty good too..........;)

I better come out later this summer for a final inspection!!! (And maybe an apprenticeship for the furniture project!!):)

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 10:15 AM
pics you say:)

Master Shedua cabnet...siematic knife drawer...second Master...cabinet and mirror Shedua....siematic Spice drawer...Master Shower

John Scarpa
06-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Mark,

Those pictues left me with a big smile this morning. Simply awesome. You are a true inspiration. My first thought was..... Now THIS is design.

John

Tim Solley
06-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Man Mark, that's awesome. My folks live in Orange County. Next time I'm out west, I gotta come visit you.

Tim

Don Baer
06-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Truly a materpiece Mark. I've been wondering about the progress. I need to get down and see you before I make my move to Arizona.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Mark, that is all outstanding. I do have one question: the siematic spice drawer, what is that on the right side?

Scott Coffelt
06-14-2006, 11:36 AM
As normal, I love your style and the way the contents flow with the style of the home and landscape.

Chris Padilla
06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Darn it, I gotta put "Mark's Museum" on the list next time I visit So Cal; wife says it's time to take the kid (4.5 years old now) to Disneyland.

:D :D

John Miliunas
06-14-2006, 2:09 PM
OMG!!! What a transformation from the very "basic" construction I saw last Summer! :) It's a home truly fit for a king.

I must say that, although I know those are new pieces throughout the home, I can so distinctly see the Mark Singer signature on all of them! I can easily envision WW's from all over, trying to make furniture in the "Singer-esque" style! :) You're making a mark for yourself, Mark!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) Man, what I wouldn't give to take a final walk-through of that place! And maybe even fight with Roy over the "Singer Apprenticeship Program", too! :eek: :D

Well done, my friend! Simply breathtaking, IMHO! :) :cool:

Bob Swenson
06-14-2006, 2:43 PM
What's not to like!!;)
Bob

Vaughn McMillan
06-14-2006, 2:59 PM
The house is looking great, Mark. It definitely has the 'Singer' signature look to it. Well done on all counts. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics when it's completed. Ya know, you could raffle off tickets for a "builder's tour" of the place when it's done. Proceeds to your favorite charity, and the lucky winner would get to see the place in person, with you as the tour guide.

- Vaughn

Bryan Hunt
06-14-2006, 3:07 PM
Wow, that's impressive. I wish you could have built our new house Mark. Our builder has taken two months to go from dried-in to insulation :mad: and it's a cookie-cutter home.

Bryan

Tyler Howell
06-14-2006, 3:11 PM
I think I may get dizzy taking a bath:eek: .
Bravo Bravo!!!

Karl Laustrup
06-14-2006, 5:06 PM
Mark, I believe you have done the piece of ground that the house is built on justice. Your designs are magnificient. Your execution exemplary.

Yes, the Singer-esqe style has arrived and it takes ones breath away.

Karl

Jerry Olexa
06-14-2006, 5:50 PM
Excellent work from a skilled artist!!

lou sansone
06-14-2006, 7:21 PM
impressive, I am figuring that this is not a starter home!
best wishes
lou

Jay Albrandt
06-14-2006, 7:56 PM
Great work Mark. You continue to exceed our expectations.

Regarding the "painted glass" back splash. My wife and I wanted to use a tempered glass behind our cooktop. Would you mind giving me the name of the people who did yours? PM or email would be greatly appreciated...jayalbrandt@hotmail.com.

BTW, I got the Woodmaster based on your reccomendation and I love it!

Thanks again,

Jay

Richard Wolf
06-14-2006, 8:09 PM
Nice stuff, Mark.

Richard

Joe Blankshain
06-14-2006, 9:28 PM
Mark, you have shown, once again, what TRUE design looks like and that it can also be functional. Well done and I hope to see it soon (if allowed) as I am coming to the coast for some R & R.

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 9:58 PM
Thanks for all the great comments...I design for a living and have for 35 years so I have a lot of experience with details , proportion materials etc.. While its my business, I can't stress how much it helps at every stage of woodworking. . At every level there is a great return on thinking about and drawing out the design... It is someting every woodworker can use to his benefit and will result in better projects. The simplicity that is seen in this home and in the cabinetry is the result of designing it to be simple, organized and it makes for projects that are easier to build. Workmanship is the execution of a design and is just as important....I take pride in doing my best work....it doesn't take longer and it is a direct course to the finished product without the need to stop and repair or redesign , because I forgot to consider something.. When the entire cabinet front is cut from one layed up slab, there is no chance for error....the whole thing would need to be reconstructed to regain the contiuous unbroken grain pattern...
SMC is comprised of great woodworkers and I have learned many important techniques by reading the threads and posts....In magazines you see the finished project and must assume how it developed ...here at SMC you were all part of the dialogue from the beggining of design and in a way , this house is a product of your input and knowledge...I thank you ! I will continue to post updates as we reach the final stages ...our project is coming along thanks to all of you!

Jim Becker
06-14-2006, 10:19 PM
While visiting with Mark a few weeks ago, we were driving around checking out projects and visiting other things of woodworking interest. I happened to snap this shot from the passenger seat of Mark's truck and it actually is this project up on the hill:

Unfortunately, the intermediate hill hides the "lofty-ness" of the site over the valley behind the structures in the foreground, but you can at least see how the house is perched. Here's a zoom/crop to the business at hand:

'Just thought you all would enjoy this lucky picture score!

John Miliunas
06-14-2006, 10:31 PM
While visiting with Mark a few weeks ago, we were driving around checking out projects and visiting other things of woodworking interest. I happened to snap this shot from the passenger seat of Mark's truck and it actually is this project up on the hill:

Unfortunately, the intermediate hill hides the "lofty-ness" of the site over the valley behind the structures in the foreground, but you can at least see how the house is perched. Here's a zoom/crop to the business at hand:

'Just thought you all would enjoy this lucky picture score!

Thanks for the additional view, Jim! Yup, that's a prime location, without a doubt!!! :) And, as I look back over the progress of this beautiful project, I can be real, real proud in knowing that a sliver of my own work will remain with that wonderful home forever!!! That's a great feeling!!! :D Mark, thanks so very, very much for letting me be a part of it! :) :cool:

Joe Mioux
06-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Simple - strong lines and graceful -subtle curves.

Mark, it is beautiful.

thank you for sharing

Joe

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Mark, that is all outstanding. I do have one question: the siematic spice drawer, what is that on the right side?

That is the foil and plastic dispenser...

Mark Singer
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Great work Mark. You continue to exceed our expectations.

Regarding the "painted glass" back splash. My wife and I wanted to use a tempered glass behind our cooktop. Would you mind giving me the name of the people who did yours? PM or email would be greatly appreciated...jayalbrandt@hotmail.com.

BTW, I got the Woodmaster based on your reccomendation and I love it!

Thanks again,

Jay
Jay,
The backspash was done by A Better glass...of San Clemente...949 496 2929. The my painter used acrylic enamel and a roller...

Dan Larson
06-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update on your wonderful work. Last night my wife and I spent some time together looking at the pictures. Of the design elements in the pictures, we liked the powder room wash area best... simply amazing! The layering of views with your custom vanity in front of the window wall that exposes the deck rail and the landscape beyond... such thoughtful design! By the way, we were wondering what material you used for the vanity tops-- looks like it might be limestone but it is hard to tell from the pics.

I have to admit to feeling a little silly that every time I post comments on your work it's always some form of emphatic gushing praise... oh well, I guess I can't help myself!

Dan

Mark Singer
06-17-2006, 9:56 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update on your wonderful work. Last night my wife and I spent some time together looking at the pictures. Of the design elements in the pictures, we liked the powder room wash area best... simply amazing! The layering of views with your custom vanity in front of the window wall that exposes the deck rail and the landscape beyond... such thoughtful design! By the way, we were wondering what material you used for the vanity tops-- looks like it might be limestone but it is hard to tell from the pics.

I have to admit to feeling a little silly that every time I post comments on your work it's always some form of emphatic gushing praise... oh well, I guess I can't help myself!

Dan

Dan the counter tops throughout the home are Cesear Stone which is a man made resin / stone composite . It is about the same cost of granite , but will not stain and is available honed (matte finish) which I used here.
Thank you for the positive support!
http://www.caesarstoneus.com/

Niels J. Larsen
06-20-2006, 6:08 PM
Mark,
I just saw this post and spotted the faucets on the sinks in the master bathroom. They wouldn't happen to be Vola would they ?

If so - nice to see some Danish Design over "there" :-)

P.S. Outstanding job on the design and execution of the pieces you've made. I have to say that your style is much more appealing to me than the shaker style which is rather common here on the creek :-D
To the shaker enthusiasts out there - please don't take that offensive - but I'm from Europe and we don't see much of that stuff here - so I guess I can blame my taste on the culture over here :-)

Dan Larson
06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Dan the counter tops throughout the home are Cesear Stone which is a man made resin / stone composite . It is about the same cost of granite , but will not stain and is available honed (matte finish) which I used here.
Thank you for the positive support!
http://www.caesarstoneus.com/

Hummm. We were drifting towards soapstone for the next house... but we'll have to give CesearStone a closer look. Wasn't aware that there were any synthetic products offered with a honed surface-- pretty compelling performance relative to the natural materials, too. Thanks!

Jim Becker
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Dan, while I'm a proponent (and user) of soapstone, the stuff that Mark is using is very nice. His comments about the honed surface are important...Granite stains very easily, even with sealing and honed Granite is nastier in that respect. If you want that look in a natural stone, soapstone and honed slate are viable choices; otherwise, a composite material like the CaesarStone could be a nice fit.